My rusty TF project

This Forum is here for each member to post pics of his/her Gemini project cars. Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
Bugle
Long Term Member

My rusty TF project

Post by Bugle »

I've already posted alot of stuff on Hotgemini so I won't bother typing it all out again i'll link to the thread when it comes back online.

So here's the before/after pics so far

Bugle
Long Term Member

Post by Bugle »

Reconstruction of the lower a pillar and end of sills.. Was pretty tricky.
Problem for everything behind the guard was dirt and water getting down there and rusting it from the outside-in. Problem for the frame corner was water getting in between the sill and that piece because it wasn't seam sealed from the factory.

Chopped the rusty bits out

Made a patch for that hole

Chopped these less rusty bits out of a Gemini at the wreckers.

Welded them in. I've been painted the bits before welding because there's no way I can do it after can only fish oil it then. So what i've been doing is paint the stuff, drill the holes for plug welding then I scrape the paint off through the plug weld holes so there's bare metal to weld to.

Originally it had some dodgy cover over those 2 holes in the top of the sill which completely rusted away so I made this.. Flared the fish oil access hole upwards so no water can get down there unless it was dropped straight in the hole. I painted it white afterwards because it's hidden anyway and rust is easy to spot within white paint.

Welded in a new inner pillar bit. This was 1.2mm steel compared to the 0.7 mm everywhere else.

Couldn't find a non rusty new corner bit at the wreckers so I had to make it myself.
This piece is very important structurally it joins to the pillar inner and joins it all up to the sill. I chopped a bit out at the wreckers only to find it was useless.. Except for part of the corner which would have been pretty hard to make. This car was worse than mine in the sill area! Was filled with flyscreen and bog.

Drilled for plug welding.. 27 spots all up. Put an extra drainage hole in the thing to help stop it happening again..

Welded

Welds ground back where needed

Put some bog on it to smooth out the hammer marks and welds to make it look nice. Doesn't matter about the stuff that's hidden though.

Then painted it

There was a bit of rust in this bit of the inner guard so I made up a patch and fixed it, easy, also welded up the hole for the mudflap or whatever it was. I think that's where water was getting in.
TCgem
Regular

Post by TCgem »

REMOVED

read the forum rules
Bugle
Long Term Member

Post by Bugle »

Takes alot of patience mainly lol

Just removed all the old seam sealant and surface rust then primed the area. Gotta do the rest of the pillar now. Just above where the sill and inner guard join there was a big blob of mig welding, yet another factory fuckup I assume!

Bugle
Long Term Member

Post by Bugle »

Did the top bit a while back but haven't posted anything on it yet.

Fixed the pillar bit and had to chop some of the side of the engine bay out

Made a replacement for that bit of the box thing that had rusted away. However I added sufficient drainage to it. Also I seam welded the whole thing where it attaches to the pillar so there's nowhere for water to get inside it.

TCgem
Regular

Post by TCgem »

REMOVED

read the forum rules
Bugle
Long Term Member

Post by Bugle »

Yeah kinda, parents bought it new. I didn't think there'd be this much rust though not sure I would have bothered if I knew the extent of it before I started. I fixed the floor pans and rear end stuff then went and took the guards off, took the aircon out and got a nasty surprise.

It would have been a bit risky buying another one too. Alot of this stuff would be hidden..
Bugle
Long Term Member

Post by Bugle »

Just test fitted the guard, and tested if the Piazza wheels would fit.
Piazza wheel fits perfect none of that rubbing on the shocks crap you get with fwd wheels..
Bugle
Long Term Member

Post by Bugle »

more rust
Bugle
Long Term Member

Post by Bugle »

yay

Bugle
Long Term Member

Post by Bugle »

Got these chops. There's a bit of rust under the rear seat so that's why i've chopped that huge piece out. Chopped the B-pillar out as well just to see how much the car would collapse. Was pretty funny after I chopped the car and was working on another the guy at the wreckers driving the forklift around drove past it, then went back, and was like wtfbbq? Then he picked the thing up and took it to the crusher.

Drivers side end of sill bit is pretty f*#cked was the best one I could find.. Ohwell guess I have to make that side from scratch like the other one.

Found a good right side parcel shelf and window sill bit.. AMazing considering the amount of rust that gemini had everywhere else.

Bugle
Long Term Member

Post by Bugle »

Been fixing the drivers side A-pillar..

Box thingo giving extra stiffness to the inner guard rusted away alot.

The pillar rusted away at the bottom worse than the passenger side, however it left the sill alone so I don't have to repair that.

Fixed the inner guard stuff a while back when I did the firewall bit.

Going to attach this complete box thing but it needs some rust fixed as well first. Not quite as bad as my original one.

Cut out all the rusted stuff from the A pillar. Looks ok underneath.

Then made a patch. Just about ready for welding drilled all the plug weld holes.
Bugle
Long Term Member

Post by Bugle »

I welded that thing up
Kind of spending more time on the Piazza at the moment I wanna get that back on the road soon.

Phat Gemini
n00b

Post by Phat Gemini »

[its just to hard for me to understand how to read rules]
Phat Skid Gemini
Bugle
Long Term Member

Post by Bugle »

I've been doing some stuff on the Gemini slowly just haven't bothered to update in a while..

Front guard I bought to replace my original rusty one fit like s*#t on my Gemini. So I thought i'd chop the bottom off that guard and repair my original. Teh guard I bought turned out to have a bit of rust that had just started poking holes so I had to replace a small section of that. Now that it's fresh zinc plated steel it shouldn't rust again for a long time.

Nice bog job by my dad there on the original guard

Made a bit to replace the rusty bit

Cut that rusty bit out, welded new bit on

Mounted the guard on the car to trim the new bit to the exact right size

Then I welded it.. Tried this way of doing lots of small welds gradually building up a complete weld to see if it would reduce the warping. Seemed to work ok didn't warp much. Will need a small amount of bog to get it perfect though.