Feb 75 TX Coupe

This Forum is here for each member to post pics of his/her Gemini project cars. Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
tobytj
Long Term Member

Post by tobytj »

The coupe is now registered. So I guess that means this project is finished, or as they say in the building game “achieved practical completion”. 2 years, 1 month and 1 day after Elky dropped off the shell. A bit longer that my other projects that normally take 15 to 18 months.

You never really finish tinkering with them and there is certainly some more tuning refinement, etc, outstanding.

On the open road she really shines, at 3500 in 4th the growl of Dellorto magically disappears as it starts to flow more air, ever thing smooths out and the cam starts to come on. Really fun to drive.

Looks like the oldest son will get this one.

The youngest son’s TF is looking a bit sorry in the body department so I think that’s next.
tobytj
Long Term Member

Post by tobytj »

The coupe has been on the road for 12 months. Thoiought I would update on the things that worked and the things that didn't

- Exhaust - too loud and I had to get a 2 inch muffler put on the back of the 2 and 1/4 system. A good fix as it shut it up and I did not loose any performance

- Brakes - blew a proportioning valve and a master cylinder rear seal

- Sump - still got a little leak (maybe this week end I will fix) would not have lost more than a litre in 12 months

- Gearbox - still haven't changed the shuttle box. Replacement is still on the garage floor in the same spot it was a year ago

- Front springs - I was loosing filings with the lovell springs. Softer ones in the front now. hard ones on the rear work alright though

- Carby - 148 mains and 62 idles turned out to be the right jetting for the 45 dellorto with 34 chokes. I now have some 36 chokes that I will try with slightly richer jetting to see if I can ge t abit more top end.

- Wheel bearings - the piazza bearings chewed out. Even though they are common bearings the lack of listing makes them hard for anyone but CRC to find. I thing they are simple a Set H (or Set 8) bearing set.

- Front drivers seat replaced - too saggy
tobytj
Long Term Member

Post by tobytj »

Two Years on..

Standard Gemini gearbox now fitted and works great with the diesel diff. Removed the sump during the gearbox change and tracked down the annoying leak (dishwashing liquid and water in the sump and then dab all the weld seams with a tissue to detect the moist spot)

Reliability wise so far no big issue. My oldest son is using it as his daily. A carby stud vibrated loose and one of the soft mounts fell out but easy fix.
tobytj
Long Term Member

Post by tobytj »

... and the rough carby issue was a crook manifold gasket
tobytj
Long Term Member

Re: Feb 75 TX Coupe

Post by tobytj »

It's Back!

After nearly 3 years in Darwin my son’s old coupe (ATX13186)made it back to Brisbane in surprisingly better condition than I was expecting. The fuel filter and air filter were pretty blocked but after a tune of the 4ZC1 and a service she ran really well.

I had visions of this coupe ending its days as a drift sled around Hidden Valley

Over Xmas she got King Springs all round, dismantle and grease of the nolathane suspension, new pads for the Piazza brakes and reshod with 195-50-15 Michelin Pilot 3’s.

In March the plan is overhaul the 5 speed and a respray as there is a bit of rust around the fuel filler and passenger rear window that need attention.
tobytj
Long Term Member

Post by tobytj »

Respray and overhaul all finished. I was going to put a photo in but since I resprayed it the same colour a bit of a waste of time. Just refer to the 2009 photo. If anything a little better becasue I picked up the little blemishes I missed the first time.

Gearbox has been exchanged for a 5 speed that I refurbished last year. It was a course spline so had to change the yoke on the tail shaft. As an aside the only difference I could find internally between a course and fine spline 5 speed box was the rear bearing on the layshaft /spacing of the reverse gear. I used the bigger bearing from the fine spline kit in combo with set of reverse cogs from another gearbox and fitted fine.

Fitted a new clutch and clutch cable. Clutch cable had partly seized so that was the reason for the heavy feel and delay in take up when the pedal was released. The siezed cable also held the thrust bearing onto the pressure plate so it was cactus.
sandy
Regular

Post by sandy »

good to see shes back with you guys!!!
such a beautiful car :)
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

sandy wrote:good to see shes back with you guys!!!
such a beautiful car :)
This.

Reminds me of Elkins coupe.
He should do this with his.
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »