GEM77A Reincarnate - The Gem Reaper

This Forum is here for each member to post pics of his/her Gemini project cars. Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Re: GEM77A Reincarnate - The Gem Reaper

Post by Jonno »

One bit closer!
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

Getting there mate. f*#k me that seat colour is rare as f*#k though! Only seen two sets EVER - one in my dads Antelope TC, and one in a papaya TX sedan.
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

Red?

I had a red interior in a wreck years ago. You can guess what happened to that.
75 TX Coupe
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

Not really red, its more brown-terracota

81 TE Gemini Sedan
gemsince88
Regular

Post by gemsince88 »

F3ARED wrote:Getting there mate. f*#k me that seat colour is rare as f*#k though! Only seen two sets EVER - one in my dads Antelope TC, and one in a papaya TX sedan.
Yep I have only ever seen one other car with the same interior on Gumtree which was rooted. This is why I was dreading changing the frames in the seats. The colour is called Sienna.
gemsince88
Regular

Post by gemsince88 »

Tail lights and rear garnish are in. Rear bar is on. Chrome is not the best on the bar but it is straight.
Boot lid seal is on too. This is off the original car and even though there were a couple of small tears in it, it is still in better condition than the one that came with the car. Glued the torn parts together with sikaflex. I love sikaflex!

Installed the grille. It didn't turn out the way I wanted but still looks alright.
ImageDSC_0128 (Medium) by Justin Sherwood, on Flickr

Mounted the rear louvre.
ImageDSC_0134 (Medium) by Justin Sherwood, on Flickr

Air con hoses are in. Look a bit small? That's because they are reduced wall hose. I had to turn the distributor 90 degrees because the vacuum advance hit the suction hose.
ImageDSC_0129 (Medium) by Justin Sherwood, on Flickr

Centre console with its coin tray thingy is in. Matt, the screws do line up, you just weren't holding your tongue right!
ImageDSC_0133 (Medium) by Justin Sherwood, on Flickr

Installed a child seat anchor so Kadyn can cruise with us.

Spray puttied the drivers door, sanded back and primed.
ImageDSC_0132 (Medium) by Justin Sherwood, on Flickr

Spray puttied the guards, sanded back and primed. Still not happy with a few small spots.
ImageDSC_0130 (Medium) by Justin Sherwood, on Flickr
ImageDSC_0131 (Medium) by Justin Sherwood, on Flickr

Gee these pics don't look much different to previous ones.

Sanded the bonnet back and primed. It's pretty straight apart from one small dent right at the front. Only thing is it was covered in a think clear coat with a bad orange peal so took a bit to sand it flat.
Sanded the remaining doors back ready for another coat. The front passenger door had a few deep scratches in it so instead of spray putty and making a big mess I dabbed a little filler in the scratches and will sand it back later.
ImageDSC_0136 (Medium) by Justin Sherwood, on Flickr

So with any luck all the colour will be on next weekend and all put together by the following weekend. Who knows it may be on the road by the end of the month!
Last edited by gemsince88 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gemsince88
Regular

Post by gemsince88 »

As some of you have already seen it is on the road!
Sorry there are no pics of it getting to this point as I was flat out finishing it due to needing a car. The Barina decided to start pissing oil out its gearbox making the Exxon Valdez look like a greasy bacon fry up so instead of waiting for parts and time to fix it I decided to get this finished. As a result the body work and paint are not the best but I can now enjoy it.

Image19225910_1835161406494081_6097730166726642203_n by Justin Sherwood, on Flickr

The week before I had the tyre taken off the rim that hit the rock and had it put on the spare rim which had the boot go through the tyre. The tyre is usable, not legal but usable. I'll get new ones one day. Think Ive had them for nearly 20 years now so they're getting a bit ordinary.

So for the last couple of weeks I have been driving it to work and finding small bugs that needed fixing.
The first day I had the AC gassed up which all works and the engine appeared to be overheating. Changed the thermostat and no change. Found a bad earth on a tail light which was an easy fix. The brake fail light kept coming on at strange times and I thought it was just a bad pressure switch. Found the engine fan was clipping the radiator on high revs so that was trimmed. The engine didn't act or feel hot so I wasn't overly worried.

Put a set of my bonnet struts on.

Checked the water pump which was fine and put a smaller pulley on it to spin the fan faster. The viscous clutch on the fan was staying engaged so I had to adjust the oil level in it.

One night I decided to go for a small drive to get fuel and all hell broke loose with electrical s*#t doing silly s*#t. Headlights were dim, indicators not working, radio cutting in and out, brake fail light flashing, thermo fans going on and off and of course the temp gauge was really high. Then the proverbial light bulb turned on so when I got home I checked the body earth and of course it was covered in paint and rust. With that cleaned up fixed a lot of problems in one go.

I didn't like the way I wired the thermo fans as they stayed on until the radiator cooled down so I put a relay on the supply switched with the running lights off the fuel pump relay.

Found out today the screens leak, which I expected, the tail lights leak, the boot seal leaks and the drivers door seal leaks. Nothing from the firewall which is good. The rest is an easy fix.

For years this thing has had problems cutting out on full throttle to varying degrees from what I assumed was lack of fuel. The last couple of days I have been eliminating various parts of the fuel system. Put the fuel pump on full 12v and blew out the filter. Today after trying to get it sideways and it crapping out I decided to have a good look at the carb. I adjusted the float level and while checking the level with it running I noticed something moving around under the float. It turned out to be the spacer that goes on the float pivot shaft which was stopping the float dropping down far enough to let the right amount of fuel in. In theory as I will "test" it tomorrow. I wonder how long it's been like that. I can't remember the last time I had the glass off this carb.
Last edited by gemsince88 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

Good work man! So awesome to see it road going. Keen to see it at Geminats :D

P.s. Matt (I'd say he's Gemreaper?) should be able post here now :)
75 TX Coupe
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

Monster effort!

81 TE Gemini Sedan
gemsince88
Regular

Post by gemsince88 »

Thanks.

Yes Matt is Gemreaper and a dag!

Full throttle is better but still crapping out. I'll figure it out one day
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

Yeah figured lol. His account should be sweet now. If not PM me ;)

Lol! All good wont be going fast on the cruise. I think it's early model carby nats this year anyway :lol:
75 TX Coupe
Gemreaper
n00b

Post by Gemreaper »

Cheers Jonno and i'm not a dag father
gemsince88
Regular

Post by gemsince88 »

Yes you are!

Sorted the misfire problem. Turns out the igniter in the distributor was cactus. I put a points dizzy back in and revved out fine. I had a spare, sort of. I had a dizzy out of an L300 which has the same system but one difference. It's a mirror image of the RB setup. So I extended the wires and crammed it all in. Put it in the car today and redline full throttle not a problem.
gemsince88
Regular

Post by gemsince88 »

Even though this is on the road it is no where near finished.

I am not happy with some of the bodywork and paint. I am not sure if I am going to just rub it back and buff or fix everything.
One of the problems is I want some airbrushing done on the guards and they are both far from perfect and really need better ones painted and put on. On the other hand one guard is off the old car and the other was intended for it so f*#cked if I know!

Matt will get this one day when I know he will look after it. Seemed appropriate I thought since he was in the old one when it was crashed and walked away with just a small bruise. Matt just so you know Kadyn will get the same treatment with his car.
gemsince88
Regular

Post by gemsince88 »

So the l300 igniter crapped itself too. Bought a new rb igniter which fixed it again.
Fitted my limited slip center into a spare rear axle on the weekend ready to be swapped over. This will probably be sooner than later as one of the rear brakes locked on tonight which looked like from a leaking wheel cylinder but I could smell diff oil too so may as well do the whole lot in one go.