Gemini LSD (coxy's lsd) INFO

This Forums is here for off topic discussion.. Please keep it partially relevant to the site.. we don’t really need to know what u had for breakfast..
su59em
Regular

Post by su59em »

goldgem wrote:Hey guys
Had my car at the Diff shop to have my LSD fitted today. Ran in to a bit of a problem. When the hemisphere was bolted in it was touching hard against the end of the pinion and jammed.
My Diff guy rang Altra 9 and they suggested machining the end off the pinion.
Far out the clearance must be tight and they obviously didn't allow much clearance. I expected a little more than that from a $2200 diff.
It's easily sorted but still a hassle.
Has anyone else had any trouble with theirs.
Just adding to the thread that I also had this issue, id say it might be ever so slight casting differences (my diff was from a 1978 TD) . They just turned down my pinion 5thou and it was sweet! 8)
redzone (coxy) wrote:I'm very keen to rape the s*#t out of my car with an lsd in it!
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

Hey.

So I've taken my mates LSD centre to the diff shop.

The bloke said it was to suit 28spline axle.

Gemini is 23 spline yeah?

Is this a case of you had to have bought or gotten 28spline axles either from A9 or externally sourced?
I/we were under the assumption the 28 spline axle is more of an option than a requirement.
Is this true?

Thanks.
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw
GEMWRC
Long Term Member

Post by GEMWRC »

Its 28 spline only i think you will find
redzone (coxy)
Long Term Member

Post by redzone (coxy) »

28 spline only, the option is whether you get the a9 chromoly axles or get some commo ones shortened
GARAGE REDZONE sunshine coast ph 07 54433507

1975 TX coupe 4ZD1 efi turbo 10.787 @ 123/128
1977 TC Fashion Pack sedan draw through turbo
1984 TG PF60E dohc Group A racecar
1984 TG Panelvan
2006 Crewman SS 6.0
MGOTD
Regular

Post by MGOTD »

oh and for anyone interested you can run drum brakes with axles designed for disc brake rear for those of you planning on going disc in the future but don't have the parts sourced yet. You just needed to get the centre bore machined out on the drum to fit over the axle (mine was 71mm) and then run a 10mm spacer *NOTE spacers are illegal so do this at your own risk*

Cheers
lethal
Regular

altra a9 lsd

Post by lethal »

One other thing to mention it that the drum brake does not fit over the axle outside flange - !!!!!!!!!

I had to machine it down so that the drum was seated correctly over the axle (drum bearings are used). also machined down the center of the axle to suit the rims - the std ones are 69.8mm commodore. most 4 stud rims have a smaller center bore. rims i have are 55 or there abouts.

All easy fixes but are annoying if you think you open the box and its going to be a bolt on job for drums-its not!!!!!.

The Commo disks on 5 stud setup were 100% out of the box install apart from the diff pinon needing slight machining.
archangel62
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

Sorry if this is a repost, but what's the standard Gemini centre bore size? I'm planning on having my Altra9 axles lathed down to match the front end, but I've misplaced my verniers. What's a good size to lathe down to? I don't want the wheels jamming on the axles either :lol:

Also, if I remove the wheel studs to do this, will I have to get new ones? Or can you re-use them?
My Gemini drift videos: http://www.youtube.com/PandamoniumDrift
Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PandamoniumDrift
Current tally: 5 Geminis and a Piazza
lethal
Regular

altra a9

Post by lethal »

I will check the size tonight.

The studs will have to be removed - just press them out and press them back in again. I have the new axels they make and the studs are drilled and tapped. so just un-screw them and then screw them back in again..

I just made the axles fit the rim center bore - simmons. will have to check what that is compared to the front stub axle..
NANKERVIS08
Regular

Post by NANKERVIS08 »

ALL of this information should have been posted BEFORE people threw down money...
hooking up boost gauges correctly since I installed my first one
stubbsy212
Regular

Post by stubbsy212 »

Gemini centrebore is 57.1mm
MGOTD
Regular

Post by MGOTD »

all these issues weren't there when the prototype in daves car was made so it wasn't known at the time deposits were taken that there would be issues, has anyone let darren know that they are have these issues with the axle flanges? so he can fix them for others?

cheers
Matt
suprafrog
Regular

Post by suprafrog »

MGOTD wrote:all these issues weren't there when the prototype in daves car was made so it wasn't known at the time deposits were taken that there would be issues, has anyone let darren know that they are have these issues with the axle flanges? so he can fix them for others?

cheers
Matt
this, be a little grateful that you even have the opportunity to have a decent LSD and thank Coxy and the others for going to the trouble of having it made, because really on the issues that have been raised are so minuscule and easily taken care of that it isn't funny, ungrateful bastards.. seriously there is probably less than 20 of these made so far of course there are going to be issues..
redzone (coxy)
Long Term Member

Re: altra a9 lsd

Post by redzone (coxy) »

lethal wrote:One other thing to mention it that the drum brake does not fit over the axle outside flange - !!!!!!!!!

I had to machine it down so that the drum was seated correctly over the axle (drum bearings are used). also machined down the center of the axle to suit the rims - the std ones are 69.8mm commodore. most 4 stud rims have a smaller center bore. rims i have are 55 or there abouts.

All easy fixes but are annoying if you think you open the box and its going to be a bolt on job for drums-its not!!!!!.

The Commo disks on 5 stud setup were 100% out of the box install apart from the diff pinon needing slight machining.
Sounds to me like they stuffed up and sent you a pair of disc type axles with drum type bearings, a simple phone call to altra9 would have likely got the problem sorted, they're great to deal with i've found..

1984 TG Panelvan
2006 Crewman SS 6.0
redzone (coxy)
Long Term Member

Post by redzone (coxy) »

suprafrog wrote:
MGOTD wrote:all these issues weren't there when the prototype in daves car was made so it wasn't known at the time deposits were taken that there would be issues, has anyone let darren know that they are have these issues with the axle flanges? so he can fix them for others?

cheers
Matt
this, be a little grateful that you even have the opportunity to have a decent LSD and thank Coxy and the others for going to the trouble of having it made, because really on the issues that have been raised are so minuscule and easily taken care of that it isn't funny, ungrateful bastards.. seriously there is probably less than 20 of these made so far of course there are going to be issues..
This.. Nankervis what have you got against this setup? I seem to remember you were one of the main detractors when we were trying to get it off the ground..

For the record they made a batch of 30 of these LSD's and all have sold out, and they're taking orders for another batch as they still have strong demand.

So if anyone has had legitimate problems with their diff or axles, i'd encourage you to contact Altra9 to let them know! That way the next batch might have the hemisphere machined down slightly to avoid ANY possible interference with the pinion on some odd diffs.. And any issues with the axles can be avoided aswell.....

1984 TG Panelvan
2006 Crewman SS 6.0
lethal
Regular

altra

Post by lethal »

I could have sent them back to altra and they would have fixed it - but i have contacts here so its easier to drop it off here and get it back literally within the hour. its an easy fix.

Did anybody provide darren with a diff for r&d on disk vs drums - so he can measure and get the correct data for the customers?? or was it only done for a disk setup initally?

No big deal for me but someone who does not have an engineering friend or machinist will run into trouble - which puts a tarnish on what is a great kit. 98% there just needs a little more care on the ordering page to get the details right.

Many thanks to A9 for looking after the gemmy fans. been great to use their product.