Gemini LSD (coxy's lsd) INFO

This Forums is here for off topic discussion.. Please keep it partially relevant to the site.. we don’t really need to know what u had for breakfast..
NANKERVIS08
Regular

Post by NANKERVIS08 »

What have people been asking when they have taken their diff and centre in to get installed?
Like what else are yas getting done? Bearing etc?
hooking up boost gauges correctly since I installed my first one
SHEEL

Post by SHEEL »

My diff is with my diff guy being assembled at the moment, I'm in no rush so I told him to take his time... will be interesting to see if this pinion clearance issue happens!

Nankervis the centre and axles are supplied with bearings, seals and oil so everything will be brand new.
leviathan937
Regular

Post by leviathan937 »

I'm looking into buying one of these centres and axles, if i get the axles made with the standard commo pattern will I need to change any other parts if i only intend to run stock brakes?

Also would I / could I, need the axles made with a different thickness on the wheel mounting surface to change the overall diff width to allow for different offset wheels like common steel rims?
If it ain't broke, then it DOESNT HAVE ENOUGH FEATURES YET!!!
MGOTD
Regular

Post by MGOTD »

what you mean by stock brakes? you mean gemini drums? or stock commodore discs? cause gemini drums are 4 stud and commo stud pattern is 5 stud.....which way did you want to change the width? cause you can get the diff shortened by 10mm like coxy did and the commo disc upgrade increases the width by 7mm or so iirc
leviathan937
Regular

Post by leviathan937 »

I did mean the stock gemini drums, feel free to point out any mental retardations here, i've been at work for the past 14 hours so my head is not working so well.
Also another thought, since (as far as I am aware) the rears are the same drums as old torana/commo drums only in a 4 stud, could the outer drum from a commo be used with common axles and use everything else as gemini standard?

I figure i'm not really going to need bigger and better brakes but I would like common stud pattern so looking for the most simple solution
MGOTD
Regular

Post by MGOTD »

not sure as far as using the different drum type you would have to measure them to see if they are the same diameter etc, there are a few good brand rims around with decent offsets in 4x100 these days so for the hassle I would just keep it 4x100
leviathan937
Regular

Post by leviathan937 »

Yeah, I was just thinking I have a set of vt brakes laying around for the front, and would like to put either a set of stock 15" steelys on or maybe a set of internationals, cos that would look awesome on the gem, otherwise I don't really want flashy wheels.

I might look into the drum thing, see if i can get a hold of one and do some measurements. It to me seems alot easier then having to change to a disc setup and all that jazz. I'll let you guys know if/how it pans out, could be useful in the future.

Or if anyone else does know, or has both drums laying about perhaps you could shed some light?
gemsince88
Regular

Post by gemsince88 »

According to the Gregorys manual a VB Commodore and a Gemini have the same diameter drums with just the wheel cylinders being different sizes. Only thing is you know how reliable the Gregorys manuals are.
leviathan937
Regular

Post by leviathan937 »

That's good enough for me, i'm used to working with questionable information. I have some time of work coming up, I might look at getting a set of drums, or even a full diff if the price is right. See how we go
Colgem
Regular

Post by Colgem »

anyone thats got axles with there setup is it possible for you to get some measurements (length), I've got some 28spline axles here and am wondering if they may be useable, Cheers Col
redzone (coxy)
Long Term Member

Post by redzone (coxy) »

Not all splines are the same either, might want to measure that too
GARAGE REDZONE sunshine coast ph 07 54433507

1975 TX coupe 4ZD1 efi turbo 10.787 @ 123/128
1977 TC Fashion Pack sedan draw through turbo
1984 TG PF60E dohc Group A racecar
1984 TG Panelvan
2006 Crewman SS 6.0
SHEEL

Post by SHEEL »

leviathan937 wrote: It to me seems alot easier then having to change to a disc setup and all that jazz. I'll let you guys know if/how it pans out, could be useful in the future.

Or if anyone else does know, or has both drums laying about perhaps you could shed some light?
DUDE...

fit VK-VP commodore rear discs...

it is SO easy. everything bolts on, all you need to do is weld a small metal tube on the handbrake cable mount to space the cable back a bit.

tube needs to be about 10-12mm diameter and 45mm long.

instructions here:

http://www.ozgemini.com/forums/tech/viewtopic.php?t=96

it would be the same effort if not less as swapping drums like you are talking about doing...
lethal
Regular

diff

Post by lethal »

Hey guys
Had my car at the Diff shop to have my LSD fitted today. Ran in to a bit of a problem. When the hemisphere was bolted in it was touching hard against the end of the pinion and jammed.
My Diff guy rang Altra 9 and they suggested machining the end off the pinion.
Far out the clearance must be tight and they obviously didn't allow much clearance. I expected a little more than that from a $2200 diff.
It's easily sorted but still a hassle.
Has anyone else had any trouble with theirs.

yes had the same problem with mine - easy fix but shouldn't need to be done.
leviathan937
Regular

Post by leviathan937 »

SHEEL wrote: it would be the same effort if not less as swapping drums like you are talking about doing...
I'm not swaping the whole brake setup, literally just the outer drum, which needs to be removed to swap the axles.

Old drum comes off, swap out axles with new ones, new drum goes on.

Taking into account the effort needed to get all the bits and pieces for the disc conversion vs how extreamly lazzy i am, i think this method will be easier, since no other modifications or parts are needed.
Besides, i have VT brakes on the front, so i dont think I'll need to upgrade the rears yet. But maybe one day if i can be bothered haha
SHEEL

Post by SHEEL »

ah I thought you were pulling the backing plate off...

fair point, carry on!