tx 5spd tips tricks

This Forums is here for off topic discussion.. Please keep it partially relevant to the site.. we don’t really need to know what u had for breakfast..
Encyclopedia Ronnie
Long Term Member

tx 5spd tips tricks

Post by Encyclopedia Ronnie »

okay so let me say its been a long time since ive done any posting so if im a touch rusty be gentle, this is being done on request from some jonno poof on behalf of drgem,

ive heard many things of how it cant be done simply over the years and frankly ive found it all to be bulls*#t, infact i was very stressed the day i started mine and about 45mins in was struggling to see why people say cut this weld that nothing works etc etc.

so things i have found in flat floor tx's , extra bolt in brace behind gearbox mounts, the mounts are level hence (flat floor) amoungst other reasons, the tunnel opening is slightly smaller....not much but enough to be a pain, now ive only ever laid my eyes on auto flat floors but i doubt factory manuals are any different.

now if your gonna do this its all about the right bits and theres not much you really need, the obvious things like pedal box, clutch cable, manual speedo cable, coarse or fine spline tailshaft to match , a clutch flywheel spigot bearing etc. if you were manual already i suggest using a later 5spd style speedo cable and clutch cable

now the final piece of the puzzle to make this all just bolt in and work with zero problems is this bad boy a factory AUTO pre adr27a flat floor tx gearbox mount, now if your car was auto you are laughing simply unbolt from auto place it on the manual box and in she goes job done :D :D :D

now i know your thinking is it really that easy and the answer is yes i did this conversion 7 years ago now had 3 different clutches and 4 gearboxes in there 4 and 5 speeds, 5 different variants of shifters and not once has anything been an issue. :wink:

now for anyone thinking to themselves where the f*#k am i going to find one well i can tell you the pics are of my spare one that belongs to my spare floorpan, yes it hangs on a wall.....where else would you keep it ahahah but i have been almost begged by a certain someone for it, so what im going to do is build a jig and make a copy of it so somewhere i may be able to help you by providing a mount

hopefully that helps clear some confusion and helps a few out, if anyone with a factory manual can suggest that the mounting areas are different post it up and ill add it into the origonal post but im fairly sure there the same.

cheers Hagen
Yes, i do still own my coupe, Yes it is still registered and running and ATM driven daily.

oh and NO its not painted yet
F3ARED

Re: tx 5spd tips tricks

Post by F3ARED »

I might cut/copy and put this in technical discussion dude, would be handy to find later or keep good record of it. Dont know if forum will allow me to transfer between halves
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
redzone (coxy)
Long Term Member

Post by redzone (coxy) »

I put a 5 speed in a manual 8/75 tx and the speedo drive shot directly into the welded on section of the floor that the gearbox crossmember bolts to. The auto early tx obviously has this part welded on in a different spot to the manual cars.
GARAGE REDZONE sunshine coast ph 07 54433507

1975 TX coupe 4ZD1 efi turbo 10.787 @ 123/128
1977 TC Fashion Pack sedan draw through turbo
1984 TG PF60E dohc Group A racecar
1984 TG Panelvan
2006 Crewman SS 6.0
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

F3ARED wrote:I might cut/copy and put this in technical discussion dude, would be handy to find later or keep good record of it. Dont know if forum will allow me to transfer between halves
He asked me when to dump it and I said here.

When we merge everything (hint Merv) we can move it then
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw
DR_GEM
Long Term Member

Post by DR_GEM »

Thanks Hagen

Really appreciate this.

Mine was a factory manual and forgive me for sounding stupid but I really can't make out from your pics if there are differences in auto or manual floors.

Is there any cleaner picture of the mount points on the floorpan?

I would definitely be interested in buying one if you were to make some (and of course assuming it works with my manual flat floor)

Mick
I wish i had something cool and witty in my signature
DR_GEM
Long Term Member

Post by DR_GEM »

redzone (coxy) wrote:I put a 5 speed in a manual 8/75 tx and the speedo drive shot directly into the welded on section of the floor that the gearbox crossmember bolts to. The auto early tx obviously has this part welded on in a different spot to the manual cars.
Coxy yours is a flat floor TX is it not? How did you go about getting the MUA in there?

Mick
redzone (coxy)
Long Term Member

Post by redzone (coxy) »

Different car mate. Green one is late floor type. The car i was talking about here was a factory manual tx sedan that was my first car.

1984 TG Panelvan
2006 Crewman SS 6.0
DR_GEM
Long Term Member

Post by DR_GEM »

Fair enough

Would be great to confirm if both auto and manual early tx's shared the same shape tunnel and mounting points

Mick
Encyclopedia Ronnie
Long Term Member

Post by Encyclopedia Ronnie »

Mick, if I remember I'll grab some good pics, if u look at my coupe thread in gallery a few pages in there's a couple of pics of it when it was still auto ,

Coxy did it hit the gearbox x member or the mount welded to the floor pan ? I just can't see the tunnel being that narrow next to the extension housing,

Jonno might shoot you a message next few days for some pics see if we can verify if the floors are in fact the same .
Yes, i do still own my coupe, Yes it is still registered and running and ATM driven daily.

oh and NO its not painted yet
DR_GEM
Long Term Member

Post by DR_GEM »

Had a look - seems different but could be my buckled eyes playing tricks again. Will get a closer look at my floor on the weekend and share pics to compare

Thanks for the tips dude

Mick
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

Jonno has factory manual/early floor so he should be able to check. Surely this can all be solved with a custom crossmember though?
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
DR_GEM
Long Term Member

Post by DR_GEM »

Mine is also a factory manual flat floor.

Yes custom xmember should be ok so long as the trans doesn't interfere with anything

Mick
redzone (coxy)
Long Term Member

Post by redzone (coxy) »

Encyclopedia Ronnie wrote:Mick, if I remember I'll grab some good pics, if u look at my coupe thread in gallery a few pages in there's a couple of pics of it when it was still auto ,

Coxy did it hit the gearbox x member or the mount welded to the floor pan ? I just can't see the tunnel being that narrow next to the extension housing,

Jonno might shoot you a message next few days for some pics see if we can verify if the floors are in fact the same .

Yeah it hit the "mount" welded to the floor pan that the bolt on gearbox mounts (what everyone calls a gearbox mount) bolts to.

1984 TG Panelvan
2006 Crewman SS 6.0
redzone (coxy)
Long Term Member

Post by redzone (coxy) »

Dad and I actually gas axed a section out of that welded on bit to get the speedo cable to fit.

1984 TG Panelvan
2006 Crewman SS 6.0
DR_GEM
Long Term Member

Post by DR_GEM »

Update for those following this.

I can unequivocally confirm that there is a difference between the flat floor / early tx auto and flat floor early tx manual trans tunnel and gearbox mounting points.

Here is a pic of my manual early tx flat floor vs the auto one Hagen posted a pic of earlier (lucky I saved his pic to reupload!)

You can see that there is a clear difference between the shape of the centre of the tunnel and the location / shape of the gearbox mounting points

Early TX / Flat Floor Auto floorpan:

https://i.imgur.com/umnlRkv.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5773PCk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/lB1H93W.jpg

Early TX / Flat Floor Manual:

https://i.imgur.com/fnxh8yf.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/HtMkMNB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/85P3b5j.jpg

Mick