Solar - who has done it? mine now installed and operating!!!

This Forums is here for off topic discussion.. Please keep it partially relevant to the site.. we don’t really need to know what u had for breakfast..
LOK15
Gemini Master

Solar - who has done it? mine now installed and operating!!!

Post by LOK15 »

Currently getting a 1.5 solar setup on the roof , and want to know if anyone has done it , and how much gain they have got from it ( reduced bill , check from power supplier etc ).

Its a 1.5 system with a 2kw inverter , so i can add a few panels later on down the track.

Also , looking at getting a larger ( 100w ) single 12v panel that can produce ~5amps to run the shed stereo a bit better ( wanna hook up and amp and sub ).

Already checked ehay for panels , but nothing that tickles my fancy price wise for what i want..
Last edited by LOK15 on Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Getting too old for this s*#t!!
hotgemi
Regular

Post by hotgemi »

send a pm to jezza man.

It's his job!
dbart1961
Long Term Member

Post by dbart1961 »

I was going to do it a short time ago lok when the government was paying 60 cents a kwh. It was going to cost me over 5k to set it up and I took to long to think about it cause the goverment pulled the pin on the rebate and lowered it to 20 cents. not worth it now. I am waiting to see how much the panels come down in price in the near future.
Regards, Dave
meanzah
Regular

Post by meanzah »

yeah I'm waiting to see where it goes at the moment - both gov't policy as well as the technology
They think they've got me by the balls but they don't - their hands aren't big enough.
Bernie Ecclestone
jezza
n00b

Post by jezza »

In QLD the price of selling back to the grid is still up round the 50c/kwh mark depending on your electrical retailer, it's only gone down in NSW. Depends how big your bill is quarterly to the size of system for you. ie the more power you use the bigger the system. Also you need to be cautious of how you use the power. The idea is to use as least power in the house during the day (about 8 to 4) that way you can try sell more of what you produce on the roof at the higher rate then buy it back at 20 odd cents in early morning or night to do washing, drying, all the main power using stuff. Because in case you didn't know you only get paid for what actually gets back to the grid, so : power produced on roof - power used in house = power sent to grid.
Didn't know how much you've already been told but help some of that may help you.
80 TE - FJ20 Gt2871r
Germinator
Long Term Member

Post by Germinator »

hmmm when I first read that heading, I was thinking LOK15 lost the plot, running round with a solar powered Gemini... :shock:

I do not give permission for anyone to reproduce content from my posts.
Reposting any of my forum posts (or substantial parts thereof) breaches the copyright act.
Andrew64
Regular

Post by Andrew64 »

Dont give him ideas :lol:
Image ©2009
LOK15
Gemini Master

Post by LOK15 »

No ideas.... Looks like im getting a 1.52 system with a 2kw inverter ,able to take an extra 3 190w panels , for $2059.

The extra panels from the same mob are $800 each , but i know they are cheaper elsewhere.
jezza
n00b

Post by jezza »

what brand panels and inverter? you gotta be careful some of them are cheap and don't last long. You usually pay for what you get. Also make sure of the warranties. normally 5 years for inverters and for the panels make sure its an efficiency warranty for example the panels I normally use have 25 year warranty at I think 80 or 90% so up til 25 years they shouldnt lose more than 10 - 20% efficiency. A lot of panels have warranties but they may be functioning at 50% after 10 years.
80 TE - FJ20 Gt2871r
LOK15
Gemini Master

Post by LOK15 »

jezza wrote:what brand panels and inverter? you gotta be careful some of them are cheap and don't last long. You usually pay for what you get. Also make sure of the warranties. normally 5 years for inverters and for the panels make sure its an efficiency warranty for example the panels I normally use have 25 year warranty at I think 80 or 90% so up til 25 years they shouldnt lose more than 10 - 20% efficiency. A lot of panels have warranties but they may be functioning at 50% after 10 years.

You working as contractor ,or able to sell by yourself?

what deals can you ( or your company ) do on the 1.52 system with 2kw inverter , and how much are 190w panels?
Germinator
Long Term Member

Post by Germinator »

You should invest in a turbine LOK15,,, as it rains the falling water spins the impeller and drives a 5kva generator. Would suit SE Qld right now.

I do not give permission for anyone to reproduce content from my posts.
Reposting any of my forum posts (or substantial parts thereof) breaches the copyright act.
Buggzy
Long Term Member

Post by Buggzy »

Just had Origin Energy install a 1.5kw system on my house... 8 pannels in total and im very happy with its performance... maximum i have made is 11.2kw in one day and it hasnt been the best weather here in Ballarat either.

Mine cost me $3500 which i pay off over 12 months.
Boostin for lyfe!
suprafrog
Regular

Post by suprafrog »

Germinator wrote:You should invest in a turbine LOK15,,, as it rains the falling water spins the impeller and drives a 5kva generator. Would suit SE Qld right now.
unlikely, haven't had any decent rain around here since a day or 2 before the flood peak, its been hot as f*#k actually..
dbart1961
Long Term Member

Post by dbart1961 »

jezza wrote:In QLD the price of selling back to the grid is still up round the 50c/kwh mark depending on your electrical retailer, it's only gone down in NSW. Depends how big your bill is quarterly to the size of system for you. ie the more power you use the bigger the system. Also you need to be cautious of how you use the power. The idea is to use as least power in the house during the day (about 8 to 4) that way you can try sell more of what you produce on the roof at the higher rate then buy it back at 20 odd cents in early morning or night to do washing, drying, all the main power using stuff. Because in case you didn't know you only get paid for what actually gets back to the grid, so : power produced on roof - power used in house = power sent to grid.
Didn't know how much you've already been told but help some of that may help you.
In nsw they were paying 60 cents a kw gross not surplus power. That is what made it so attractive. A lot of people here have signed contracts for 7 years and getting credit power bills! Good system if you had the 6k to outlay in the first place. The government are now only paying 20 cents gross.
Regards, Dave