Holden Gemini Drop Stubs by StubTech

This Forums is here for off topic discussion.. Please keep it partially relevant to the site.. we don’t really need to know what u had for breakfast..
DryftKult
Long Term Member

Holden Gemini Drop Stubs by StubTech

Post by DryftKult »

I've put this on the Facebook groups this morning and figured I'd throw it up here for those of you who still use the forums who may not have Facebook.

I've been dicking around with this idea for a couple of years now, and I now have Rod Hadfield (formerly of the Castlemain Rod Shop) interested in investigation the possibility of producing such a product.

Now the whole idea has both it's good points and bad, starting with the good I'll point out the advantages of using drop stubs rather than lowered springs on their own.

1. By moving the hub spindle up the stub you net a 1.5-2" drop in suspension height while maintaining the optimum suspension geometry for the rts suspension resulting in better handling.

2. less wear on the balljoints due to better balljoint angles being retained.

3. More clearance for bump stops for those who run seriously slammed suspension setups resulting in a smoother ride without bottoming out.

4. Moving the stub position upwards relative to the rest of the suspension moves the upper inner edge of the wheel away from the shock absorber, effectively increasing the clearance and reducing the chance of the wheel rubbing the shock absorbers at full droop.

Those are the good points, the bad is the cost, we're looking at around $750-$1000 for a pair.

Keep in mind that these are made to meet specific standards and are not simply banged out by some chinese company and sold on ebay, there's a lot of work involved and the cost of setting up the tooling alone is around $17,000.

Now Rod has requested that he be supplied a stock stub axle so he can compare it to other castings he already uses and see if he already has something in stock that can be adapted to suit with the appropriate machining, if someone has a spare unit they'd like to donate then it would certainly get the ball rolling, if not then I will buy one myself and send it off to him.

Feel free to express your interest here or on any of the facebook groups I have already posted to this morning, also I will link all the Facebook posts back to here so we can have a more permanent place for people to register their interest as threads get lost on facebook too easily.

You can check out Rods website for more information on his stub axles. www.stubtech.com.au
DrewZa86
Regular

Re: Holden Gemini Drop Stubs by StubTech

Post by DrewZa86 »

Subscribed, Keep us posted.
danman wrote:Seriously! A field of rape...
Jonno wrote:No gemini is a good investment
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

x2
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw
DryftKult
Long Term Member

Post by DryftKult »

GEMINI DROP STUB UPDATE

I just got off the phone with Rod and there's good news and bad news.

I'll start with the bad news, after comparing a Gemini stub with the castings he already has he has come to the conclusion that nothing in his range is able to be modified, so this means a new casting would have to be designed and he would need to tool up to produce them, due to the low amount of interest we have had this probably wouldn't be worth the effort.

Now the good news, he also compared the stub to a bunch of stock stub axles from other cars and came up with a close match, at the moment it looks very likely that the stub from a TC/D Ford Cortina can be modified to fit resulting in a 1.25 to 1.5" drop from standard, there is an issue with the top balljoint angle that he is currently investigating but with luck it may not be a huge problem to overcome. There is still the issue of the brakes and hub to be addressed but we will look into that issue when we get there.