Vehicle GPS trackers.. cheap or free

This Forums is here for off topic discussion.. Please keep it partially relevant to the site.. we don’t really need to know what u had for breakfast..
LOK15
Gemini Master

Vehicle GPS trackers.. cheap or free

Post by LOK15 »

Here we go...

Lets compound some info on cheap or free trackers for your cars, so if it gets stolen , you can use your phone to hunt it down and retrieve it , bury a few bodies , and be home in time for breakfast!

Track my ride is one , but it costs , and isnt a cheap cost.

You can get GPS trackers from ebay cheap , but they require a SIM card with a monthly cost.

I have heard that you can use an old Iphone , and the app "find my Iphone" , but i'd like to hear others input into solutions that dont hurt the back pocket , or even touch it if possible!!!

Discuss..........................
Getting too old for this s*#t!!
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Re: Vehicle GPS trackers.. cheap or free

Post by Jonno »

Lol paging notorious.

The chick at work suggested the iphone thing to.
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw
Tcar7
Regular

Post by Tcar7 »

I bought a wagon recently with Iphone behind rear door card armrest, now I understand why LOL with 5 cars I would need 5 phones
I engrave drivers Licence number V********** etc and photograph valuable or rare parts = does not help with location but outright evidence and makes the parts worthless unless seller can produce correct LICENCE.
ghemini
Regular

Post by ghemini »

Tcar7 wrote: and photograph valuable or rare parts = does not help with location but outright evidence and makes the parts worthless unless seller can produce correct LICENCE.
lol wrong. Think a little harder
Tcar7
Regular

Post by Tcar7 »

lol wrong. Think a little harder
:? explain more genius. like how can the thief explain why your Licence number is on his parts, even the Police recommend this one. :mrgreen:
you can also notify potential Thieves that all items are marked for ID and Trackable which sends them to safer bounty not your beast.
Very effective but I am not detracting from LOK's original idea of track em down and have a Human Hungi. :lol:
Anthony_Gemini
Regular

Post by Anthony_Gemini »

Are you talking about daily drivers? Or w.e toys?

I put all my effort into prevention rather than gps tracking etc
LOK15
Gemini Master

Post by LOK15 »

what would be good is if you could have a system in the car , that you can "ping" with your phone's GPS and it pings back with locatrion , and doesn't cost you anything.
Gorgonzola
Regular

Post by Gorgonzola »

Anthony_Gemini wrote:Are you talking about daily drivers? Or w.e toys?

I put all my effort into prevention rather than gps tracking etc
i agree, im getting an alarm and immobiliser fitted to mine ASAP
Previously Known As notorious.

Join It -->
https://www.facebook.com/groups/EliteGemini/
Kings.

Lover of Moose.
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

LOK15 wrote:what would be good is if you could have a system in the car , that you can "ping" with your phone's GPS and it pings back with locatrion , and doesn't cost you anything.
Elkin and I were talking about this last night.

Iphone thing would be sweet but

A. It really needs a constant power source
B. To do the above you'd need a seperate data plan or something,

You'd have to work out some way of getting the two to work there.

I wouldn't want some free service that turns out after you get so far that it requires some sort of payment or something.
You'd have to really nut it out.

I'd hate for something to happen then find out there's some minor bulls*#t which means you have to call up some indian to tell him you want the premium service buggerise around for an hour then work out your cars been dismantled and the phones been tossed out the window cause they've worked out what it is.
75 TX Coupe
TFHOON
Chatterbox

Post by TFHOON »

Hey guys , Iphone thing sounds pretty good just get a pre-paid sim and get the company to change it to a six month setup , so a $30 recharge will keep the number active for 6 months.
ghemini
Regular

Post by ghemini »

Tcar7 wrote: explain more genius. like how can the thief explain why your Licence number is on his parts, even the Police recommend this one.
Because it can be removed just as easily as you put it on. I do this with all the thing I steal. :shock: I laugh at how you cant see something so obvious. :roll:

And cops do not come from the most intelligent section of the community. If your IQ is too high, you arent considerd a good candidate, cos you will most likely move on in the future when you get tired fo dealing with dropkicks and retards all day long. They prefer plodders . So generally I give anally prolapsed f*cks about what they think..
Tcar7 wrote:
you can also notify potential Thieves that all items are marked for ID and Trackable which sends them to safer bounty not your beast.
Very effective .....
oh, you think? I used to put a sign in my car when I parked it that it was fitted with anti theft device . (Which it was). And it got stolen anyway!

This concludes your education today.
ghemini
Regular

Post by ghemini »

LOK15 wrote:what would be good is if you could have a system in the car , that you can "ping" with your phone's GPS and it pings back with locatrion , and doesn't cost you anything.
Sounds nice but you dont get to use satellites for free.
Jonno wrote:A. It really needs a constant power source
B. To do the above you'd need a seperate data plan or something,
Not hard to solder in a charger into your harness. I am on a no expiry plan unless my credits go to zero and stay at zero for some time..
Jonno wrote: I wouldn't want some free service that turns out after you get so far that it requires some sort of payment or something.
You'd have to really nut it out. I'd hate for something to happen then find out there's some minor bulls*#t which means you have to call up some indian to tell him you want the premium service buggerise around for an hour then work out your cars been dismantled and the phones been tossed out the window cause they've worked out what it is.
PLans always change in the long run, you'd never be guaranteed it would be trouble free. You'd have to manage it - just another thing to stay on top of.

If you are going to use any sort of tracker, its going to cost you one way or another.

For anti theft measures in general Two things you can do is
1. cut out switch on the fuel pump. (TX-TE only). IF a thief starts it , he will only drive it as far as the float bowl will give him, say 200 yards. they will then panic and drop your car like a hot potato and run. In a polualted area, good chance they will get spotted and caught.
2. Weld a lug to your gear stick, and a pivoting arm to the tranny tunnel below that swings up to mate with it when it is in the reverse position and lock it there.
3. Buy a wheel clamp.

You cant beat physical measures.
Tcar7
Regular

Post by Tcar7 »

oh, you think? I used to put a sign in my car when I parked it that it was fitted with anti theft device . (Which it was). And it got stolen anyway!

This concludes your education today.
obviously mark items using some intelligence not shootin from the hip fool. Mark in places that are either hard to find or remove or obvious if removed or will damage item if removed and photograqph all markings to show where and how Thief removed it. .
Last edited by Tcar7 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
LOK15
Gemini Master

Post by LOK15 »

Actually Ghemini , you can use satellites for free... Car GPs systems only cost you the price of buying it at the shop.

And as far as the I phone thing , its very easy to hide a phone or similar in a car , and as they have a built in battery , you only need acc power connected so it recharges when you drive it ,then it uses the phone battery for however many days it lasts , which , depending on how new the battery is , could be 2 weeks , as its only on a standby mode kind of thing , and you arent using it for calls etc.

you could ( well , maybe , but If you could it would be cool ) call the phone , tell the thief the street he is on , and tell imh you are just switching the camera on and taking a photo of him from a concealed camera , and about to video the C4 in the airbag/ steering wheel center blowing his face off... im sure that would freak them out enough to dump and run...
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

LOK15 wrote: And as far as the I phone thing , its very easy to hide a phone or similar in a car , and as they have a built in battery , you only need acc power connected so it recharges when you drive it ,then it uses the phone battery for however many days it lasts , which , depending on how new the battery is , could be 2 weeks , as its only on a standby mode kind of thing , and you arent using it for calls etc.

you could ( well , maybe , but If you could it would be cool ) call the phone , tell the thief the street he is on , and tell imh you are just switching the camera on and taking a photo of him from a concealed camera , and about to video the C4 in the airbag/ steering wheel center blowing his face off... im sure that would freak them out enough to dump and run...
I thought Iphones use Data to download there whereabouts?

If this was the case you'd need to work out the exactly how much the thing downloads while it's moving.

Yeah cool ghemini you'd still need to make sure that it had enough credit to last.
My biggest grife is these c*#nts move quickly then think it's ace to go for a strap around the country side
- Can iphones operate without having proper signal only relying on the gps?
- if this works that's fine you'd have to have the powersource go to go cause it would suck the battery for sure.
So the wiring the charger directly into the harness isn't a half bad idea for that.

NOW the big question (I have no idea how these stupid phones work with a pre-paid arrangement) if you use a pre paid sim in an iphone and old mates go for a drive anywhere and they pass the boarder.
What's the option if the signal drops? No data = nothing sent = car is black out for x amount of ks.

You'd also need it well hidden. If someone boosts a car as soon as its driving it I assume they will either
a. take it to somewhere secluded and sus out exactly what they've got in the car
b. Start ripping s*#t out while they are driving to ditch the thing quick and easy (which I think is what happened to notorious' car at the begining of the week)

I'm happy to experiment with this to see if it works on a pre-paid arrangement.

lol @ lok15 this isn't the movies bro.

I also might go via one of the car stereo installer shops on the weekend and sus out what other options/ideas they have.
75 TX Coupe