ATTN ALL USERS: IMPENDING PHOTOBUCKET FAIL

This Forums is here for off topic discussion.. Please keep it partially relevant to the site.. we don’t really need to know what u had for breakfast..
F3ARED

ATTN ALL USERS: IMPENDING PHOTOBUCKET FAIL

Post by F3ARED »

Gents/ladies,

Story is circulating that Photobucket is about to go the way of imageshack - ie, sink under, causing obvious holes in every forum world wide. In a last ditch bid to raise cash, Photobucket have changed their terms and conditions to essentially not allow hotlinking on their free accounts. No drama you say, I might upgrade my account to the non free one that will allow hotlinking again, AND ill get rid of those stupid ads at the same time that were making it impossible to use. Except, there is one problem. In their infinite wisdom [read, desperation], Photobucket management have made the decision to not allow hotlinking on all but the most expensive package, for a cool $400 per year

Taken straight from the new terms and conditions page:
Types of Accounts, Pricing and Limits

Visiting : There is no cost to visit the Site or to register as a Member.
Free account : Each individual Member gets one free account that provides 2 GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos under 10min. The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. If a free account Member exceeds their Content Limit, their account will be immediately suspended and they will need to become a “Paying Member” (defined below) in order to continue accessing their account. You can upgrade to a Plus account at any time.
Ad-free Account : The Ad-free Account offers Members the ability to use the Site without seeing any third party banner advertisements when logged into your Ad-free Account (note, viewers of your images within Photobucket will see ads unless they, too, have Plus accounts and you will continue to see Photobucket offers and announcements). This account level is available for $2.49 / month, payable by the Member on a monthly recurring basis.
Plus Account : The Plus Account offers several paid options that may give the Paying Member more storage, bandwidth, 3rd party image hosting, image linking and/or other services as outlined below. Once and during such period of time in which you subscribe to and pay for a Plus Account, we will consider you a "Paying Member." Please note that all Plus Account subscriptions are billed annually at the commencement of the service. Photobucket may also offer a monthly billing option for its Plus Accounts (see terms and restrictions, below).

Available Plus Account Plans : Photobucket offers the following Plus Account Plans:

o Plus 50 Plan: 52 GB of Storage for $59.99 / Year. The Plus 50 Plan does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting.

o Plus 100 Plan: 102 GB of Storage for $99.99 / Year. The Plus 100 Plan allows for unlimited image linking but does not allow 3rd party image hosting.

o Plus 500 Plan: 500 GB of Storage and unlimited bandwidth for $399.99 / Year. The Plus 500 Plan allows for unlimited image linking and unlimited 3rd party image hosting.

Read more: http://photobucket.com/terms#ixzz4lkEH6qXO
Slowly but surely, more and more free acounts are being affected by this; you may have noticed this begining to happen if you use other forums. Basically, Photobucket is switching accounts off account-by-account; unless you of course pay the $400 year ransom fee to keep your thread links live. This means anyone that is using Photobucket as an image host for their build threads will eventually have their image links broken, replaced by the good old HOTLINKING NOT ALLOWED image. So what you say, I use Facebook now, its so much cooler and I get likes and stuff there, forums are so early 2000s - as most of the people on these FB groups will repeatedly let you know. Except of course, Facebook is a social media tool and absolutely f*#cking useless as a resource, which strangely enough is why everyone still searches here when ever they need real info.

Where am I going with this? This image host fail doesn't just affect your build thread and how popular you feel as a result of people commenting how cool your car is - it affects everything posted here, from Technical discussion threads to general questions.

Why is this such a big problem? Say for example you decide what you really want to do is do a brake upgrade - for whatever reason, the old Hoppers style VT front doesnt cut it. You remember seeing on the forum plenty of times about the Magna disc with Volvo 4pots, perfect ill do that you say to yourself - so you search the forum, find the relevant threads, sweet as a how to. Start scanning through the how to, and get to the bit where it says the hat height on the magna disc is 3mm shorter than the Gemini, so i made a spacer to fit between disc and hub - see image. Where the f*#k is the image?! See the point now? Rinse and repeat for anything and everything, from diff conversions to which gearbox crossmember to use with what, comparisions between factory parts etc - EVERYTHING.

What I suggest you do is back up all your images before Photobucket goes down and out for good. Once its gone [and, lets face it, it will be gone sooner rather than later as i dont think anyone will part with the frankly ludicrous $400p/a], the photos will also be gone with it. To post pictures you can either use the inbuilt forum uploader - it will just require users be logged in to view, or one of the other image hosts readily available. As far as Im aware of, http://www.flickr.com is one of the better ones OR http://www.smugmug.com. Note that Photobucket being the clunky POS to use that it is, you will have to manually download the photos one by one. Unless you register with smugmug, in which case you can use the following link http://www.smugglr.com/ to transfer your photos over. Also keep in mind that although smugglr will allow you to transfer your photos over from photobucket to smugmug, it will not a. allow you to do so once photobucket has locked your account to non-hotlink [thanks, assholes] and or b. your links will still be broken.

What we would like you to do is, in the event you are one of the affected users, and you have taken the step to registering or starting a different image host, is take the time to update and or replace your img links in your relevant threads. This is f*#cking arduous i know - for example, my build thread is over 13 pages long and has well over 200 images - but would be much appreciated, particularly in regards to anything you may have posted in the technical section.

Will advise more once I know more

Cheers

N-

KNOWN FIXES AS OF 15/09/17

As of the date above, the following work with photobucket images. We [and be we, i mean Merve....nudge nudge mate] are working on a fix to back up older images on ozgem the same way. You can use the following to view photobucket images:

Post extension editing [as taken from another forum I use - thanks gamma]
I don't know how many people saw the posts originally, but a reminder that editing your old photobucket links to have "~original" after the .jpg makes them work.
Photobucket are still c*#nts, but it will make threads readable again.

I believe the Chrome plugin basically does the same thing, but only for the viewer. If anyone has seen a script for vBulletin that can do it to everything, or a script for scraping the images and hosting them on site (like LS tech did to their forum), they would probably be handy!
Google Chrome plug in that does the above to make images viewable
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... jjgj?hl=en

Firefox Plug In that does the above - note i have not tested this one yet as my firefox at work is f*#cked, but reports are it works as intended
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... ucket-fix/
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
redzone (coxy)
Long Term Member

Re: ATTN ALL USERS: IMPENDING PHOTOBUCKET FAIL

Post by redzone (coxy) »

It's f*#cked isn't it. All mine are gone in here already.
GARAGE REDZONE sunshine coast ph 07 54433507

1975 TX coupe 4ZD1 efi turbo 10.787 @ 123/128
1977 TC Fashion Pack sedan draw through turbo
1984 TG PF60E dohc Group A racecar
1984 TG Panelvan
2006 Crewman SS 6.0
firebug
Regular

Post by firebug »

F3ARED wrote:take the time to update and or replace your img links in your relevant threads.
Well there goes the rest of my day... :(
"Can't stop addicted to the shindig!..."
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

Yep, can confirm coxys is f*#cked. Allegedly, they are first going after high-bandwidth users but lets face it, its only a matter of time till they ransom everyones accounts and/or go bankrupt full stop. However, I have been playing around a little bit before and noticed something interesting.

Despite not allowing hotlinking or 3rd party hosting, the images can still be accessed though if you have your album set to Public....

Coxy, if you read this mate, this is one of yours. Try and change one of your photos that have vanished to Public and see if it works.

81 TE Gemini Sedan
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

And now that i posted that its no longer available. Interesting.

81 TE Gemini Sedan
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

I noticed that a lot of Bill (firebugs) pics have gone. Yet I checked tobys and still there.

Seems a bit hit an miss. Maybe the more recent picture updates are getting effected first? My 13b_Coupe profile still seems ok. My pics are still presenting on the forum ok...

Fuckkkinggghhheelll.
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw
moley
Long Term Member

Post by moley »

f*&kers
Coupe rebuild number 6..
viewtopic.php?t=44564
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

One of my old accounts still works fine; the most used one though is f*#cked. Ive organized alternate hosting and started fixing my threads but sadly i dont think most people will do the same.

N-

81 TE Gemini Sedan
LOK15
Gemini Master

Post by LOK15 »

I think i'll have to manually download all my photos as my HD that had all my pics crashed.
Getting too old for this s*#t!!
moley
Long Term Member

Post by moley »

They never got onto me until I replied to this thread! Now it's all gone
Coupe rebuild number 6..
viewtopic.php?t=44564
tobytj
Long Term Member

Post by tobytj »

I have a paid account with Photobucket.

I would expect they would send a notice to me if the terms of my contract changed?
LOK15
Gemini Master

Post by LOK15 »

ive just finished recapturing all my photobucket pics. Only missing about 3000 pics now from old hard drive lol
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

Nope toby. They basically just changed the terms and conditions overnight so a lot of people with paid accounts would be f*#cking fuming. You could set up your own hosting for less than a quarter of what they want for the paid account. Apparently smugmug is a good one if your willing to pay for your account. Not sure if jonno messaged you but your going to be one of the guys we need to beg for help to fix the holes, youve posted some good s*#t over the years lol

Lol surely you dont have that many photos Lok? Havent seen you post all that much.

81 TE Gemini Sedan
moley
Long Term Member

Post by moley »

2500 women in bikins?, 500 Gemini pics :)
Coupe rebuild number 6..
viewtopic.php?t=44564
LOK15
Gemini Master

Post by LOK15 »

F3ARED wrote:
Lol surely you dont have that many photos Lok? Havent seen you post all that much.
I took pics of all the cars ive owned , all sides , interior , engine bay , parts etc.. Not stuff to post online , just for personal records.

I think all my bush bashing and drag vids were on the drive too.