Pro Rally Enterprises Introduces Custom LSD Centres

Have you got a great deal to offer all the members of OzGemini? If so Post the details here.
This is not for Private "for sale" add's
beevus

Post by beevus »

okay,

i have actually already posted a pic of the centre

More pics: http://s685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/beevus1/

this is not a zzr or diesel diff
this is just the later model (te/tg) style diff
Someone has already sent over a ZZR diff from NSW which we have
modified, bit of a long story there, but all should now be okay. Once i have spoken to the owner and all is well i will ask him to give a review of the diff (good and bad).

It is this spring pack in the centre of the diff which provides a mechanism to prevent freewheeling by applying a lateral kinda friction type force to the spider gears. (yes some of my previous attempts to explain how this diff works were wrong) so...

This is not a true lsd where both wheels will freewheel and then lock. instead this is permenantly acting and simply prevents large amounts of freewheeling unless you have HUGE amounts of opposing force on each wheel. to get my axles to spin in opposite directions we needed to put about 2 meters of square tube in the studs, brace the other side and it was so hard to turn the axle i checked to see if the handbrake was on.

sorry, i got a little distracted there. Because all (when i say all, it is quite a task) we really need to do is add the spring pack to the diff centre and a spring pack of any size can be made as needed (we are mechanical fitters, this is our job) we can literally perform this conversion with any conventional diff.

For this reason this conversion is very popular with fiat owners.

As to this vid not being a big ask, you are asking me to go out and break the law and film it. if a video on dirt will be effective, i can do that in the carpark of my folks' house, although i do doubt it as there will probably not be enough traction to unlock the rear end. but i'll give it a shot when i'm next up there.

Cheers, hope this helps.
-Beevus
archangel62
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

Ahh, so the LSD isn't specifically torque-operated like a conventional one. This is interesting. I'd have thought of the LSD's grip to be comparable to tyres - where, the greater the slip, the less grip there is... So, like tyres, once traction is broken, it would allow more and more slip. If, however, it works the opposite way, allowing small amounts of slip and, the more slip there is, the tighter it restricts said slip, then it could work well.

I mean you've said yourself that it works well - I trust that, but am very curious as to how it'd perform with medium power tarmac drifting, grip etc, as well as in a carpark, or if it'd have a similar slightly detrimental effect on turn-in like a locker.

Massively preferable to a locker in my books, but I'm so curious to see how it'd be in practise.

And man I think that at this point the more videos the better, even if they're on dirt on private property etc, at least it'll be progress!
My Gemini drift videos: http://www.youtube.com/PandamoniumDrift
Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PandamoniumDrift
Current tally: 5 Geminis and a Piazza
AdrenalFixa
n00b

Post by AdrenalFixa »

Yeah, the main thing I want is both wheels locking under hard launch which you sort of shown, and Im fine with that side of things :) , but I dont want the sqeaking / breaking of traction of inside wheel like locker at full lock when travelling slow in carparks and service stations, ( typical cop baiting ) ,

The last thing I want is to spend over $800, to put it in my car and have continuous headaches with cops thinking Ive got a locker in the back :(

After all this Im now saving the cash and will send my centre to you to get modded as soon as I have raised the amount, but a short video of you driving in circles slowly in a tarmac carpark with the video and audio centreing on the inside rear wheel to show is not locking up ( as a welded diff would do ) would be great ( as this isnt illegal and can be done anywhere, at any time ), thanks.
beevus

Post by beevus »

okay, hope this is it.

full lock at low speed with no chirping, then both wheels spinning under load.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JWiJZDTjOg

AdrenalFixa:
i will warn you that occasionally if i take off a little fast at full lock somewhere where i dont have great traction, i will get a single chirp, but remember i am only running the sle rims which are only 5" wide. not great traction there to begin with.

next, Archangel:
this is true, if it does slip the slip will increase, but just like with your tyres, even if you break traction you still have some friction, which is enough to get both wheels spinning and when both wheels spin, that small amount of friction is enough to overcome the different spinning rates of the wheels and get them spinning at the same rate. (once both wheels are spinning)

Enjoy,
-Beevus
lukes_tg
Regular

Post by lukes_tg »

man no offence and ill wait to see what other people say but i only saw u pull a one wheeler and lots of smoke come out ur exhaust i watched it like 5 times

t3/t4 haltech powered forged 4ze1 gemini in the build
GEMWRC
Long Term Member

Post by GEMWRC »

yeah this is too prove it isn't a locker..
archangel62
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

Good stuff Beevus :) I reckon I'm happy. It's hard to tell if it's spinning both in that vid, but it's obviously not a locker, and you can kinda hear the centre fighting the slip without actually completely stopping it.

Plus unless he's changed the centres since the last video, which I doubt (cmon give him some credit) it obviously locks when the hammer's down.

I should be starting a new job in March, I'll start saving too. Best case scenario I end up with a great LSD for not too much, worst case scenario I spend some money getting a half-LSD which is still better than no LSD!

But yeah it looks good. Nice work man.
My Gemini drift videos: http://www.youtube.com/PandamoniumDrift
Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PandamoniumDrift
Current tally: 5 Geminis and a Piazza
lukes_tg
Regular

Post by lukes_tg »

ok my bad

boony_124
Regular

Post by boony_124 »

I did see them both start to spin then it stopped when he backed off the throttle. That is what I saw anyway. Looks all good to me.
beevus

Post by beevus »

Hey guys,

no idea exactly how many wheels spun then, it felt like 2 when i was driving but you really cant tell with all that smoke.

unfortunatley i really cant post any more vids, as that munted piece of green crapola will soon be at the tip or someone elses problem.

also my sld will not be going in my new gem as its being stockified.

give it god knows how long and a butt load of coin later and it will go in my rally gem.

cheers.
-Andrew
phill_33
Chatterbox

Post by phill_33 »

any one bought one of these yet? just curious as
to how they perform!
JORDAN
Regular

Post by JORDAN »

im thinking about it. might get me self one very soon
lukes_tg
Regular

Post by lukes_tg »

at the end of the day i spose this is the closest ur gonna get cause those vb-early vk are only getting harder to find

Encyclopedia Ronnie
Long Term Member

Post by Encyclopedia Ronnie »

right hers my question, the modifying, is a spring pack in the spider gears its almost liek a tourque converter in front diffs on 4wd cars ie r32 gtr. not electronic or nuthin tho, the spring pack and spider gears are then modified and fitted. we rekon itl hold say 200hp, this figure is it rated on the friction clutches? or the springs or mterials.

as far as i can see if a heavier spring is used then shouldnt it handle say 400hp?

mate this is totally up too you here but if u or chris can put up a detailed post description, even edit the origonall with exact specs u have a way beter chnace of selling this unit. thje fear is ppl dnt understand how it works, do u have any pics of the sring pack not yet fitted to the diff centre?

another option is make up a set of plans and rough material costs u could always sell the plans maybe not make say 800 but say 300 a hit for plans aint 2 bad. even if 1 person buys it and builds it(acess to machinery etc) gives it a good wrap ur gear is proven.
Yes, i do still own my coupe, Yes it is still registered and running and ATM driven daily.

oh and NO its not painted yet
marksegec
Regular

Post by marksegec »

long time reader, rare poster...

i am like the others, i doubt this, and am a tight ass like them also.

im just throwing my opinion out there. from the videos ive watched. i dont really think thats proof either. im sorry but its just not enough.

drop a skid or something just once, its not hard and that should be proof enough for anyone on here.

my 2c