www.TURBOGEMINI.com - Electronic Ignition conversion kits

Have you got a great deal to offer all the members of OzGemini? If so Post the details here.
This is not for Private "for sale" add's
tobytj
Long Term Member

Post by tobytj »

Hi I bought two of these and have fitted one to the TF sedan running the G200. Seems to work fine and I think the engine is accellerating better. I have fitted up the other one to the wagon but that engine is still being fitted.

The following tips and comments are from my observations. What I learned from the sedan made the wagon conversion easier.

1. I set the motor at TDC took the dissy out after marking the position of the rotor button. It was easier and I gave it a good clean checked the vacuum advance dash pot was working and the turn table, greased the counter weight pivots.
2. The trigger is a tight fit on the cam lobe and I could not get the first one to fit with sensible force. The top edges of the lobe are quite sharp and caught on the inside of the trigger. Smoothed off the edges with a small fine file and polished the lobes with some 1500 wet and dry. A dab of grease on the inside of the trigger and a nice smooth positive fit was achieved.
3. The two wires could be a couple of cm longer. It was a stretch to my coil which I had to move towards the engine and twist to make fit.
4. There was a small zip tie in the kit. It does not say what it is for but I used it on the wire just inside the rubber plug to stop the wire being acccidently pulled through. Accidentally yanking on the wire is a danger with this set up.
5. Wire protection. Some loose wire is required inside the dissy for the movement of the vac advance. The wires sits on the vac advance pivot pin and could rub. Some extra tape on the wires and grease on the pin should take care of it. Grease for sure - tape could be an overkill.
6. In my set up I found the timing with the unit was a little retarded compared to the same rotor button position with perfectly set points. Suggest you tweak the dissy 3 - 5 degrees clockwise when you first start it and retime.
7. When you fit the sensor there is some play and no guidance on the how close the trigger wheel should be to the sensor (maybe it doesn't matter). I tried to fit mine as close and evenly as I could get it with a gap I estimate to be 15-20 thou.

I will probably change my install by soldering some extra wire lengths on and making an anchoring point for the wires where the condenser was previously attached using the same screw.
TurboGemini

Post by TurboGemini »

Hi Toby,

thanks for the feedback, I've incorporated some of the info you suggested into the additional fitting instructions we now provide with the modules.

Glad it's running well for you. They're a good unit, we've got heaps out there now, all running perfectly.

Cheers
Ben
www.turbogemini.com
Turbo kits - Brake kits - Blow Through Carby kits - EFI kits
vivoacer
Regular

Post by vivoacer »

Hey just curious what the increase of performance is like on any of the stock g engines?
TD_stripes
Regular

Post by TD_stripes »

vivoacer wrote:Hey just curious what the increase of performance is like on any of the stock g engines?
Reliability.
Tcar7
Regular

Post by Tcar7 »

I assume also no drop in performance between Points Gap adjustment due to NO POINTS.
vivoacer
Regular

Re: www.TURBOGEMINI.com - Electronic Ignition conversion k

Post by vivoacer »

Great product! im curious, can this be used as a trigger sensor for electronic ignition?
TC g161z turbo daily
Adaptronic e420d, proboost gt2871

TG g161z drift car.
- G161z 1643cc, twin 40 dcoe webers.
14.994 @ 89.96/91.41mph
115.2whp @ only 6200rpm
archangel62
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

vivoacer, this *is* electronic ignition.. but I'm assuming you mean computer controlled spark? check my comment and the reply on the last page. It should work depending on what kind of input your ECU is designed for.
My Gemini drift videos: http://www.youtube.com/PandamoniumDrift
Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PandamoniumDrift
Current tally: 5 Geminis and a Piazza
vivoacer
Regular

Post by vivoacer »

Can't quite remember but I believe I meant can it be used for programmable ignition ?
For example used with the msd 6al2, can't quite remember what input they required
TC g161z turbo daily
Adaptronic e420d, proboost gt2871

TG g161z drift car.
- G161z 1643cc, twin 40 dcoe webers.
14.994 @ 89.96/91.41mph
115.2whp @ only 6200rpm