Spool rods for G161z

Use this Forum to organise Group Buys
DryftKult
Long Term Member

Spool rods for G161z

Post by DryftKult »

Spool don't do a listing for the 1.6 blocks so I have inquired about getting spool to make me a set custom and they have told me that a minimum order is for 40 units :/
$495 per set - I would require 50% deposit and they would take about 10 weeks after you sign off on the sample drawing.

A sample OEM rod would be required also.

If you have any other questions feel free to email me

Cheers

Brad
www.spoolimports.com
We need 10 people to make this happen, so who would be interested in a set?
Last edited by DryftKult on Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DryftKult
Long Term Member

Post by DryftKult »

bump!
TurboGemini

Re: Spool rods for G161z

Post by TurboGemini »

Hi Dryftkult,

I know it was about 6 months ago that you were trying to get this organised, but I've only just seen it, and I'm curious why you are looking at getting these rods for a 1600? I assume you want to get a high power output, so would like some stronger rods, but if chasing power, why use the smallest engine option and not a G180 or G200? Because H-beam rods are available for these bigger engines. If spool don't do them, I know others do, like Max Power Racing or something like that.

Cheers
Ben
www.turbogemini.com
Turbo kits - Brake kits - Blow Through Carby kits - EFI kits
DryftKult
Long Term Member

Post by DryftKult »

couple of reasons, first of all is availability, have you tried to get an 1800 lately?
they tend to be snapped up quickly or are going for much more than I would willingly spend on an engine that I intended to tear down for a rebuild, 1600 blocks are plentiful and fairly cheap.
g200 is plagued with head gasket sealing problems when boosted, sure there are plenty running around without issue but plenty are also problematic and I'm just not interested with that issue at all so have steered away from g200 engines.

another reason I wanted to use a 1600 is because there is plenty of meat in the bores, so no need to worry about sacrificing bore wall strength when it's bored out for the new pistons, 1800 slugs will go in no problem and it will remain strong enough to maintain silly boost levels.

third reason is weight, the spool rods are a great deal lighter than the stock items, which would definitely net gains in power and response.

lastly (tho this may not ring true) is price, spool seem to offer the cheapest option for forged h beam rods for the g series that will easily tolerate more horsepower than these engines will ever produce, so they are good insurance.

either way no'one else was really interested, so I have not bothered with this, however if I ever had the cash I would buy the full order myself and keep them for a healthy supply of rods till the day I die :D
TURGEM
Long Term Member

Post by TURGEM »

Ive got spool rods installed (untested though) so im going on faith from the Owner himself, as I got them direct...

Owner Lives Brisbane Southside...

And come to think of it I havent seen any feedback yet from other people running them...
Thats Right Im a Long Term Member
WASTEGATES - WASTE 8S
IF YOU WANNA FLY, GIVE IT MORE P.S.I 8)
DryftKult
Long Term Member

Post by DryftKult »

yep-8s runs them iirc