CHEVINI MK I (TC HATCH)

This Forum is here for any members who have any other Isuzus or Opels from around the world (or Australia) that they wish to post up pictures of. EG; bellets, I marks, luvs, rodeos, piazzas, chevettes, kaddets etc… Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
Encyclopedia Ronnie
Long Term Member

Post by Encyclopedia Ronnie »

Crazytim wrote:Probably only a couple of grand to ship and you can pick up a fairly tidy runner for $1000NZD, Roughly $1000 plus donor parts for frontal conversion unless you're handy with a welder you could have one for $4000 and the rarity of it probably not lose any/much $$$ if you had to sell... you'd be a celebrity on ozgem thats for sure :lol:
f*#k yeah when i have money....1 day im so gonna have 1 of these lol
Yes, i do still own my coupe, Yes it is still registered and running and ATM driven daily.

oh and NO its not painted yet
Crazytim

Post by Crazytim »

yeeehaaa I'm gana have one of these in a matter of weeks (running)
Crazytim

Post by Crazytim »

The Chevini was just collected... cant fukn wait!
Crazytim

Post by Crazytim »

Oodles of progress. Rust repairs about 1/4 the way there (if rust in the rear was what I thought it was repairs would be 2/3 finished!) Engine has been knocked down, head overhauled, sump off bearings checked all A.O.K, block/sump/tappet cover all painted up looking the part, when I was in the shop today he was mocking up the mani's and it was looking very cool...

Impressed with workmanship, rust repaired so far includes hole under top of guard at bottom of A pillar, sill on bottom of guard passenger side, same on drivers side is chopped out as he's waiting to see if there is a decent junker we can chop some patches out of... not looking hopeful...
Rust holes along top of sill under rubber seal repaired and hatch badge holes are gone!

Rust in rear corners. It is also quite extensive underneath... CBF uploading a zillion pics tho...

This pic shows where the Gemini mounting position needs to be (scraped patches) compared to Chevette G/box... at this stage it is looking like he will be welding something to the car to take the stock gemini gearbox mount.

Drivers side lower A pillar, this hasn't yet been repaired due to complexity of curves, if panels can't be found soon he will make from scratch... any leads on a body I can cut some from appreciated!
The piece that came out...

The other side was a bit more simple so was repaired before I even had a chance to take a pic!
and the culprit for the rust... a bodged old repair (that looks kinda like a porcupine!

The repair at top of guard was also fixed promptly...

The only rust in the drivers door... strange place for it! All fixed, no after pic yet but even without paint you can barely tell there was a repair... decent welding skills!

Head of yuckiness, Troy reckons likely 1st time it's been off the block so it's done well. All been overhauled now, no pics as I was sick yesterday and by the time I went into the shop today it was already in place on top of the block!

Tappet cover, contemplated leaving it bare steel and letting it go rust red but due to oily nature of an engine bay with a breather filter thought the desired effect may never happen... Image

so I painted it!

Block painted up to match...

Rust on top of drivers side sill, was under rubber seal... any of you's had this before? Weird...

Hatch badge holes plug welded...
...and ground nice and smooth!

New hubcaps scored from gordo...
Encyclopedia Ronnie
Long Term Member

Post by Encyclopedia Ronnie »

dude this thing is so cool the guy doing the work looks like he knows wtf he is doing thoose welds look pretty darn good as do the repairs all round. as for the rust in the sill under the ruber welcome 2 geminis mate they all do it the worse off ones anyway. most of ur rust is pretty comon
Yes, i do still own my coupe, Yes it is still registered and running and ATM driven daily.

oh and NO its not painted yet
GEMWRC
Long Term Member

Post by GEMWRC »

great update .. i love a thorough Update like this.. Great to see a Fresh engine and your webbers look Brand New , impressed , cant wait for more updates , maybe get a turbo oil line fitting in ya Sump fo later , much easier now than after its in the bay...
Crazytim

Post by Crazytim »

GEMWRC wrote:great update .. i love a thorough Update like this.. Great to see a Fresh engine and your webbers look Brand New , impressed , cant wait for more updates , maybe get a turbo oil line fitting in ya Sump fo later , much easier now than after its in the bay...
Bottom end is just painted up after he inspected so will likely be rebuilt at some stage anyway. I don't think I will ever turbo it, have another very similar unit which is having a TF front put on it as well as 3 wagons so am planning on variations in the power plants. Who knows though...

Thanks btw, I love seeing loads of pics too so try to reciprocate... took heaps more but uploading takes sooooo l-o-n-g-!
Crazytim

Post by Crazytim »

Encyclopedia Ronnie wrote:dude this thing is so cool the guy doing the work looks like he knows wtf he is doing thoose welds look pretty darn good as do the repairs all round.
Cheers, and yes he knows exactly what he's doing, he's owned some 30odd gems! (guess where he's from!)
Next after this is all done I will be getting him to stitch a TF front on my Chevette Hatch followed by a TX front on my Chevette wagon as you can't get a TD wagon in NZ, none of the NZ forum boys have ever seen one, the only one I have ever seen was at a wrecker about 8-9years ago before I knew how special it was. So I will just build my own, some day I may find and import a minter... love wagons!
Crazytim

Post by Crazytim »

[quote="GEMWRC"]great update .. i love a thorough Update like this.. webbers look Brand New... [quote]

Oh yea, not sure if you read whole post, Webers were rebuilt, the place refinishes the alloy somehow (doesn't look like it's been blasted, maybe some kind of chemical treatment?) and all the steel parts re-zinced, and your dead right they look brand spanking new IMO!
Crazytim

Post by Crazytim »

Have a stack more pics to upload, gana have to have a session on photobucket...

G/box x-member is all fabricated up, drivers side lower A pillar rust is repaired and you could not tell where the repair was in bare steel, bery impressed.
Scrubbed up and painted diff, gem wag diff, will need minor mods to bolt up. Still have a few more bits to pretty up, doing a lot of un-necessary detailing, may as well get it mint even if it is for a short time lol.

Anyway once I can get pic's fabricator has taken into my computer will upload them!
Crazytims Chevini (Chevette Hatch with TX Gemini front panels) currently in the build... watch this space!!
http://www.ozgemini.com/forums/non-tech ... 9&start=30
lukes_tg
Regular

Post by lukes_tg »

i want those wheels that were on the black one. love ya work man lol

t3/t4 haltech powered forged 4ze1 gemini in the build
Crazytim

Post by Crazytim »

my work... I'm the bitch on this project and the financier!!

Rims? The 13" alloys? Thinking of changing them... wait till cash flows a bit better... this build is costing some $$!
Crazytims Chevini (Chevette Hatch with TX Gemini front panels) currently in the build... watch this space!!
Crazytim

Post by Crazytim »

Some pics. New g-box mounts, old ones are gone. No going back now!

This is the inside of the car where mounts are welded in place

G-box bracket, only used centre rubber mount chopped out of stock item.

Before/After of rust repair

Fruity diff ready for install

Crazytim

Post by Crazytim »

Engines now in!!
Crazytim

Post by Crazytim »

Right... kept forgetting camera, then misplaced camera, finally took with me tonight.
Troy has repaired rust in bottom corners of both doors, (inner and outter skin) doors are back on now. He has removed bumper mount from the good guard, obviously also done all the work above and now he has spun the car around on the hoist and has set to work on her cancerous behind...
Exposed many an old plate welded in under the layers of bog... was not expecting this!
However he is removing it all and rebuilding the stell like it should have been. A couple of the plates (larger ones) are pretty good so will stay and he is gana stitch all around them, rebuild the vanished seams and generally just reshape all that is missing. Very fukn stoked in my choice of fabricator/engineer/mechanic/panel beater... guy is fukn epic, Australia's loss, NZ's gain!

Here is some pics, enjoy peoples!

This corner is the good one... yipes! Pic taken in morning, when I saw it this evening he had 3/4 finished it all (spot welded in, still needs to seam weld)

Middle of boot... already spot welded big plate in...

The bad corner... looks like a quilt... or frankensteins bottom!