Cul8r's Chevette #4

This Forum is here for any members who have any other Isuzus or Opels from around the world (or Australia) that they wish to post up pictures of. EG; bellets, I marks, luvs, rodeos, piazzas, chevettes, kaddets etc… Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
daddy's ride
n00b

Post by daddy's ride »

CUL8R wrote:Heres what they look like... Actually will need it for the function of clearing the trumpets too..
A friend of mine has a simular vauxhall, it almost looks the same. 2.3 ltr 16v in it. Very,very rare!! (Picture from internet, for example)

But great cat you have, hope everything works out for you
I know, my english isn't that good, but how is your dutch :-)
CUL8R
n00b

Post by CUL8R »

long time not much of a update, just a new phone pic...

Still waiting on diff through hayatonka, complete disc to disc LSD PF60 diff...
CUL8R
n00b

Post by CUL8R »

So been a long time no updates.

Got the car running with the help of Pete (Valiant) about 10 months ago, then spent the next 3 nights doing the full exhaust system.. On the friday I'd worked from 7.30 - 5.30 without any meal breaks flat stick at my old job. Decided I'd come home at the end of it and finish off the exhaust. Pete came around at 10.30 just as I was finishing up and convinced me I needed to take the car for a quick run - I was initially against it due to tiredness. Forgetting that way back when I first put the diff it the diff hat had had a small pin hole leak in it, which Zac had tig'd up, but then I'd never filled it with fresh oil afterward, which is fine when it'd only been pushed down the street to Barts or off a trailer into a garage..Diff locked solid about 2km into the test drive, at about 90kph...

Pulled the old diff out, and then pulled it to pieces...
I would say going by the broken bearings floating about, that the pinion bearing was starved of oil, which then ceased, as a result locked the pinion gear solid, but with the rotational force of the crown wheel, then spat the pinion clean in half and out the bottom of the carrier housing.

Wind the clock forward to present...
So the ZZ/R PF60 LSD diff arrived from japan through Ewan @ Hayatonka (very helpful and easy to deal with) finally. Got it home, sat for a couple of weeks till I got enthused enough to do something..

Sent away a pile of bolts, brackets etc to be plated by one Mr Greg Topp!
Came back and I'd assembled the diff with new bushes, painted it with hammerite, swapped calipers, discs, torque tube, brake lines etc all over. Also took the opportunity while the diff was out to underseal the rear guards completely..
CUL8R
n00b

Post by CUL8R »

Well been kinda busy with the house. Cleaned up the crossmember etc..

Changed a few things on the motor, whilst it was out, I was really disliking the VHT black paint that had flaked off badly. So sent the Headers into be HPC Coated.. Came up rather nicely indeed I think!

CUL8R
n00b

Re: Cul8r's Chevette #4

Post by CUL8R »

2nd gearbox in..

Painfully I had thrown the old one away in disgust and left a few crucial pieces off.. Reverse selector, clutch throwout bearing & carrier.

New one now has a proper shortened remote shifter, which should line up with the exsisting hole, and unlike the previous one, should be able to select all the gears lol!

Also the output shafts were different, so luckily Ben a fellow twincam lad had a TX driveshaft with the Coarse spline!

Motor back in the hole, had it running, but pulled some of it back out as I want to change a couple of things & fix a dripping heater pipe

Parked next to my other GM/T Car.. Image
moley
Long Term Member

Post by moley »

Interesting car! Hey is your panhard rod on backwards?
Coupe rebuild number 6..
viewtopic.php?t=44564
GEMWRC
Long Term Member

Post by GEMWRC »

Ripper mate .. hows it go with the webbers ?
CUL8R
n00b

Post by CUL8R »

Goes exceptionally well for the 5mins I got to drive it before blowing the diff lol. Just making a driveshaft loop and it's almost ready for another drive.

Panhard is up that way so it doesn't hang as low due to running smaller 13" tyres and gives more room for the exhaust..
CUL8R
n00b

Post by CUL8R »

Well, finally cracked onto doing a driveshaft loop, now there's not exactly much room in the Chevette's trans tunnel, especially once you put a larger gearbox and driveshaft in..

Can see nicks in the paint, it actually isnt rubbing, its from me test fitting 50 times..

Filled the Gearbox with oil, tweaked a few things and then drove it out of the garage for the first time, resulting in this ;

Might try take some pics in the light now its on all 4 wheels again..
CUL8R
n00b

Post by CUL8R »