OzGemini Interstate Meet. 2011

This forum is here for Australia wide events
Nimbus
Regular

Post by Nimbus »

I can see your point Elky, but it's just too damned far and expensive for most of our guys. We spent 4 days on the road, for a 2 day meet. The Kiama area makes it a 1 day drive for both us, and the Queenslanders.
When it goes to a vote, I'm voting further south.
Look kids! It's an internet forum!
MGOTD
Regular

Post by MGOTD »

if the roads are better in kiama i'm in if we can find a place with good roads, meeting point, caravan park etc etc etc then we can keep it in the same place every year or something then :lol:

Cheers
Matt
Andrew64
Regular

Post by Andrew64 »

Thats the point isnt it - The park at PM was hopeless, all the speed bumps and holes, poor management, dirty facilities etc.
And we need to think of the southerners, its only fair that we give a couple of hundred k's to help them.
I understand what Elky is saying but, this thing is only young and we need to find our feet.
Easter is the only guaranteed 4 day weekend so it makes sense that we have it then and we need to find a location that is geographically friendly and car friendly and (for want of a better word) yobbo friendly.
Maybe Lok is onto something with a smaller town being happy with a bunch of people filling their coffers.
Image ©2009
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

Andrew64 wrote:Thats the point isnt it - The park at PM was hopeless, all the speed bumps and holes, poor management, dirty facilities etc.
And we need to think of the southerners, its only fair that we give a couple of hundred k's to help them.
I understand what Elky is saying but, this thing is only young and we need to find our feet.
Easter is the only guaranteed 4 day weekend so it makes sense that we have it then and we need to find a location that is geographically friendly and car friendly and (for want of a better word) yobbo friendly.
Maybe Lok is onto something with a smaller town being happy with a bunch of people filling their coffers.
Yeah I'm not keen on staying at that park again.
Roads are s*#t box.

I'm definately leaning toward Easter Long weekend (thats my opinion)
If we find a place thats great, car friendly and somewhere were we can enjoy then we can sorta discuss it and lock it in as a "regular" place to host the event.

They have a big hot rod Australia day weekend in Canberra Every year. They have a great well run and organised caravan park to stay at and good places to cruise so it works for them. We will need the same principal.

As for Lokis idea, that could work well, only thing we need to worry about is places to eat, shops and places of cruise interest or personal interest, if you know what I mean :P
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw
dbart1961
Long Term Member

Post by dbart1961 »

Kiama is a great place guys. Has a few good country roads to cruise on. The road to Kangaroo valley or Jamberoo. You could even spend the day at Jamberoo recreation park. Not sure how many decent caravan parks there are though. I can check it out if you like as I go there often as it is only 15 minute drive for me.
Regards, Dave
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

dbart1961 wrote:Kiama is a great place guys. Has a few good country roads to cruise on. The road to Kangaroo valley or Jamberoo. You could even spend the day at Jamberoo recreation park. Not sure how many decent caravan parks there are though. I can check it out if you like as I go there often as it is only 15 minute drive for me.
Yeah I had a look yesterday with Nick and yeah liek i said previous it looks pretty cool.

Theres a big 4 which Nimbus suggested which looks fairly decent.

If you wanna sus out the place that would be great!

I might cruise up there after I've paid some of these debts off.
75 TX Coupe
dbart1961
Long Term Member

Post by dbart1961 »

There are heaps of good drives from Kiama.
Gerringong and Geroa (seven mile beach) down south, you could even drive up Jamberoo mountain valley pass up to the Robertson pie shop. Very popular meeting place for car /bike clubs and the pass is a great drive in a Gem. It would take about an hour each way from Kiama.
There is also sadleback mountain and Minamaurra rain forest.
Shall I go on LOL
Regards, Dave
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

Sounds like you've just read straight of the Kiama tourism site. :lol:
75 TX Coupe
dbart1961
Long Term Member

Post by dbart1961 »

:D NAH. Just spent all my life here and love cruising those roads in the Gem.
Regards, Dave
ajs991
Long Term Member

Post by ajs991 »

Ive been along the road going through the Minumarra rainforest or whatever it is, it would be a gun driving road in a gem. We were only in a Camry and it was still fun then.

And Jonno, nah I dont need it in a hurry, I have a USB charger as well so Ill just grab it whenever.
dbart1961
Long Term Member

Post by dbart1961 »

You could be talking about Jamberoo pass or maybe Macquarie pass. Either way, you are right, it is great drive in a gem.
Regards, Dave
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

dbart1961 wrote:You could be talking about Jamberoo pass or maybe Macquarie pass. Either way, you are right, it is great drive in a gem.
Hmm Macquarie Pass isn't the greatest road especially if you get caught behind a truck..
75 TX Coupe
dbart1961
Long Term Member

Post by dbart1961 »

or a tree falls down on you :lol:
Regards, Dave
Andrew64
Regular

Post by Andrew64 »

Sticky please Gene oh and remove the old thread.
Image ©2009
Germinator
Long Term Member

Post by Germinator »

It sort of looks like the park operators at Port have blown their chances after the issues last year and now they messed up again. Pretty stupid tactics.

Easter sounds like the ideal time given the longer public holiday span. 2011 even has an extra day added of holiday, Anzac day falls on the Easter Monday so it has been substituted on the Tuesday in Vic with NSW & SA yet to confirm the substitution. Hopefully Qld will consider it also. That's Friday April 22 through to Tuesday April 26th all off work!

Though I haven't been to the event at all, it seems to me many of the people from southern states would like to make an effort to be there if it were not such a long drive. I'm inclined to agree that the whole event is still establishing and moving it this early stage shouldn't have huge impact. To be fair, Port is great assuming the majority of people going will be from Sydney or Brisbane. It's a short run from Brisbane (555km) and Sydney (384km) compared to Melbourne (1259km, Canberra (662km) and Adelaide(1752km).

On the other hand Gosford is: Brisbane (858km) and Sydney (75km) compared to Melbourne (946km), Canberra (352km) and Adelaide(1442km).

Kiama is: Brisbane (1070km) and Sydney (120km) compared to Melbourne (813km), Canberra (219km) and Adelaide(1307km).

The coastal regions either side of Sydney are awesome camping areas, much of it really quite untouched as in it hasn't been inundated with bulldozers flattening it to slap a few sheep on. Much of it is national park and there are loads of interesting things to do, plenty of opportunity to shop around for camp sites as well.
North of Sydney there are places like the Gosford/Woy Woy area, the lakes around Wyong, and these spots also have easy access west to Wisemans Ferry and beyond into the huge expanses of wilderness/national park areas.
Head south of Sydney to Kiama and it's just spectacular the whole way down the coast to Lakes Entrance. Definately no shortage of choices about where to pitch camp. Personally that coastal run compares 'up there' on my list of great drives along with the Great Ocean Road.

Hmmm.. hang on, Lorne is the place to be at Easter!! Falls Festival every year, worlds best rally tracks in the bush, second thoughts, cancel that!

I do not give permission for anyone to reproduce content from my posts.
Reposting any of my forum posts (or substantial parts thereof) breaches the copyright act.