1975 Gemini TX Coupe - JAD

This Forum is here for each member to post pics of his/her Gemini’s. Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
JAD39

1975 Gemini TX Coupe - JAD

Post by JAD39 »

1975 Holden Gemini TX Coupe

I bought a Gemini to run as a cheap and reliable daily that I could have a bit fun with and learn more about cars and restoring while I built it. I got it in a pretty bad way, all the floor pans had to be replaced, paint redone and gearbox rebuilt. Engine apparently had been reco’d but it still needed some work. I also wanted decent brakes as the ones on it were nearly gone.

Modifications:
Engine:
G161
Cam (unknown)
32/36 Weber DGV
Electronic Ignition

Brakes:
VT Fronts
VN Rears
Ford master (Modified and adjusted By BHSS)
Prop valve removed

The booster and master were set up by BHSS on Brisbane’s Southside and was approx. $350 from memory and they set it up for front and rear disc brakes. Ask for John. He also hinted on a good power steering setup. VT caliper’s were from hoppers and the VN ones were wrecker items.

Drivetrain:

5 Speed (recon)
Billet Axles, 5 stud, 23 spline (Altra 9)
Front 5 stud UPC Hubs
Sals Diff - Powder coated black and all new bearings

I got the axles made up to match the rims I wanted and I also desired a solid platform over the modified commo ones. The Diff was a nightmare with powder coating taking way to long, parts missing during the assembly and the normal new brake lines required before I could get it up and running.

Suspension and Wheels:
VL Walkinshaw rims 16x7 +37
205/40R16 Tyres
King Springs Rear KHRL-07

Rims were painted by me and my best mate.

Next:
Turbo

Thanks to GT Racing, BHSS, Altra 9 and my Dad.

I will get some pictures up soon
Last edited by JAD39 on Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:19 pm, edited 6 times in total.
JAD39

Post by JAD39 »

JAD39

Post by JAD39 »

JAD39

Post by JAD39 »

JAD39

Post by JAD39 »

Went by Elky's on Saturday and picked up a piazza radiator overflow bottle and a wiring harness. Cleaning the harness still but the bottle is now setup and in place beside the battery.
JAD39

Post by JAD39 »

JAD39

Post by JAD39 »

So I got sick of the standard carby and trying to get it right so I gave in to my need for bright and shiny things and got a new 32/36 Weber kit.

Tuning:
primary idle jet 50
secondry idle jet 55
primary main jet 140
secondry main jet 135
primary air jet 190
secondry air jet 180

Had to whip up a a few parts for it, Accel cable bracket and a spring braket to help the Throttle return as it was sloppy.

I used the supplied cable bracket and modified to fit

JAD39

Post by JAD39 »

After getting the Gem up and running I took it for a quick drive down the road, found a few bits and pieces I'd left in the engine bay but it ran ok, still spiting out a lot of s*#t out of the exhaust.
JAD39

Post by JAD39 »

Big week for the car, installed Turbogem electronic ignition, made up a new throttle bracket with help from the gf. The next day it was put in to have the headlining put in and the windows fitted correctly. Turned out sweet, used a little joint called KC upholstery in Brendale. Novus auto glass fitted the windows and did a real clean job. After all that the car was relocated to my house where it sits waiting to be worked on.

JAD39

Post by JAD39 »

Spent a few days on and off working on new door cards, used 5mm ply and used the same carpet style material as the parcel shelf. I used a spray glue to hold it on initially, but a rubber edge and the other door fittings will be adding to the strength. I will post more pictures of it later on.

JAD39

Re: 1975 Gemini TX Coupe - JAD

Post by JAD39 »

Bit of an update, Had to take some time off the car to paint the house so the car got left alone for a bit. Then a few extra parts came in....

Then I got a Tacho installed.

The old wiring harness removed, surprised it didn't set the car on fire.

And Where I am now.....

JAD39

Post by JAD39 »

The wiring harness is now complete minus the Reverse light switch which has been cut from the source so I still have to fix that but I did manage to get the tacho running off the rest of the cluster lights which was a bonus. Also the diff is now assembled and waiting for a few little things before it's attached to the car.

JAD39

Post by JAD39 »

Well the diff is now in and having the calipers around the other way seems to work well on the passenger side with the brake line however the drivers side is pretty close to the panhard rod mount on the car. Will need to be adjusted.

Passenger:

Driver:

JAD39

Post by JAD39 »

Alright spent about a month away but I have managed to catch up a little bit of work.

Spray painted a few extra parts

Got some juice into the brakes and stopped the diff from leaking, Still unsure if I stopped it or its empty, but I will be refilling it soon.

There appears to be Some oil leaking from around the head so I went to take the valve cover off and stripped the head on a bolt. Finding a new one to continue and also the 10mm key to tight the heads to the correct torque.
JAD39

Post by JAD39 »

I got the engine back together but then I had and ignition problem. Replaced the coil as there was no spark but still nothing. Went through all the wiring to find at some stage only starting a few months ago I changed the positive electronic ignition point to a grounding point. Hopefully starting the car later today.