My green TX coupe, 4ZD1T 422rwhp vids page 15

This Forum is here for each member to post pics of his/her Gemini’s. Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
smokey
Regular

Post by smokey »

680 RWHP shut the gate!!!!!
DR_GEM
Long Term Member

Post by DR_GEM »

turbogemguy2006 wrote:
DR_GEM wrote:Answer to both nick and turbogemguy

Siamese bores obviously gives you more meat in between cylinder walls and not just hollow enclaves around the cylinders themselves. This makes the block sturdier in the event that meat is taken out of the cylinder walls (ie an overbore) and gives "bracing" for lack of a better word when cylinder pressures are upped in a high boost or even extremely high compression application. This provides support to the cyilnders so that they are not flexing under extreme heat\friction\expanding forces.

As for the g series' being strong - im not doubting that - but tell me how many g series' blocks you have seen coping with say a 120 thou bore job and 20psi + of boost - the limiting factor here is the amount of actual meat in between the bores, which is made worse in the g series' blocks because cylinders two and three are so close together, which only magnifies this potential problem

Oh and turbogemguy - i really dont wanna post any names just in case the person doesnt wanna advertise the power they have made - its not my motor dude so unfortunately i cant release details of it - wish i could though :D
Ok,so if you bored out a 4Z engine 120 thou if wouldn't have any problems then????
my 4ze1 has been bored 120 thou - i will soon learn whether this will hold up.

keep in mind that everything else has been done to support this though and its important that this is done to support what youre chasing

ie: forged rods \ pistons \ copper h\g \ o-ringed block etc
I wish i had something cool and witty in my signature
redzone (coxy)
Long Term Member

Post by redzone (coxy) »

turbogemguy2006 wrote:I think it would have to be easier to run a 9 in the larger 2.3 ltr engine compared to the 1.8,thats only common sense...
Good luck with the car mate and I hope you run the numbers but don't think running 9's is easy,because if it was everyone would be doing it,I just hope these engines are as cracked up to be as everyone's saying they are because so far we're yet to see a 2.3 perform to make big power.....
lee's drag car has run high 9's with only 20 psi, be interesting to see how it goes when he gets his new turbo on it and winds up the wick. thats a 2.3L.

james palomara's rodeo ute has run 618hp at the wheels at summernats a coupla years ago, 2.6L.

so yes the engines are capable. mine has custom JE's, custom tool steel I beam rods from AMT, o ringed, studded, ported flowbenched head with oversize stainless valves, swivel feet, custom retainers and springs, custom intake manifold, exhaust manifold etc etc.. turbogemguy i'm no rank amateur, i've been involved in building a few tough cars in my time here and there.. i know whats involved. i also have my own mechanical business and i'm a pretty determined person, if i say i'm gonna do something i do it.. i'm not expecting to run any better than 12's with the MUA box and stock torque tube rear that will be in it when it first hits the road, but i have a borg warner 4 pinion rear to go under it, and i'm working on a (modified)toploader conversion with a V gate shifter. either that or a jericho 4 speed as a few of them are turning up at decent prices (rotary guys are realising they need 5 speeds to keep em on the boil)

i'm not expecting 9's straight off the bat, as i stated in my first post, but i do think she'll be sorted within a coupla years..

TBH my main goal is to get it back on the road before elky's and chris's coupes :lol:
GARAGE REDZONE sunshine coast ph 07 54433507

1975 TX coupe 4ZD1 efi turbo 10.787 @ 123/128
1977 TC Fashion Pack sedan draw through turbo
1984 TG PF60E dohc Group A racecar
1984 TG Panelvan
2006 Crewman SS 6.0
gemracing
Gemini Master

Post by gemracing »

redzone (coxy) wrote:
turbogemguy2006 wrote:I think it would have to be easier to run a 9 in the larger 2.3 ltr engine compared to the 1.8,thats only common sense...
Good luck with the car mate and I hope you run the numbers but don't think running 9's is easy,because if it was everyone would be doing it,I just hope these engines are as cracked up to be as everyone's saying they are because so far we're yet to see a 2.3 perform to make big power.....
lee's drag car has run high 9's with only 20 psi, be interesting to see how it goes when he gets his new turbo on it and winds up the wick. thats a 2.3L.

james palomara's rodeo ute has run 618hp at the wheels at summernats a coupla years ago, 2.6L.

so yes the engines are capable. mine has custom JE's, custom tool steel I beam rods from AMT, o ringed, studded, ported flowbenched head with oversize stainless valves, swivel feet, custom retainers and springs, custom intake manifold, exhaust manifold etc etc.. turbogemguy i'm no rank amateur, i've been involved in building a few tough cars in my time here and there.. i know whats involved. i also have my own mechanical business and i'm a pretty determined person, if i say i'm gonna do something i do it.. i'm not expecting to run any better than 12's with the MUA box and stock torque tube rear that will be in it when it first hits the road, but i have a borg warner 4 pinion rear to go under it, and i'm working on a (modified)toploader conversion with a V gate shifter. either that or a jericho 4 speed as a few of them are turning up at decent prices (rotary guys are realising they need 5 speeds to keep em on the boil)

i'm not expecting 9's straight off the bat, as i stated in my first post, but i do think she'll be sorted within a coupla years..

TBH my main goal is to get it back on the road before elky's and chris's coupes :lol:
Coxy,
Its good to see a thread thats getting alot of interest from people,including myself.but at the end of the day it all comes down to ones preference in what they want to build and if you wanted to build the 4ZD1 the I say go for it :D :D :D :D
I,myself only stuck with the G series engine to prove a point and although I haven't hit the limit 'yet' I know I'm not far of it,once I'm satisfied with the limit,I'll get into the 2.3..
Although these engines have a few differences than the G series engine,the main thing I like about the 4Z's is that you can buy the cylinder head new,and that on its own is a big plus in my book...
So Just keep focused on what time you want it to run and you'll achieve it....
Darren
Current Car.....

-G180 TX red coupe 9.20@148.6mph on a 26x8.5" tyre and no nitrous 2380lbs with driver
smokey
Regular

Post by smokey »

i will be watching the progress of this build very closely,as i have high aspirations from my engine also,i built it as strong as i could with argo rods arias pistons, studs ,valves ,copper gasket, ect ect..........the thing with my setup is i want to do it in stages,i want to be able to drive the car to its potential first and foremost,and if that means going out on street tyres and a small turbo running 12 sec passes to get used to racing then so be it. i know i have a strong engine but what is the use of bolting a TO4Z on there if the rest of the car is not up to the task(or my driving ability).there are still loads of things i can do with my car before i make any major changes so im just going to race it 2 or 3 times after every modification i make to see if it really makes a difference,even if its just taking the head light out,there is 100 cents in every dollar ask anyone who has run big numbers with a gemini if this is not true

My runs last week netted me 13.0 12.9 12.6 12.6 at 115mph,anydrag racer knows that mph is good for 11.7-11.8 but its trial and error,set up,and driving skill ( with manual),i mean i was talking to ppl in the pit lanes with 400WKW xr6 turbos that were running 13.0 at 124 mph( whatsgoing on there ).......so i agree with coxy about the development of his car and engine it takes time,but if his goals are 9s and he is determined i think eventually he will ge tthere.and ill be watching very intently good luck with everything mate,ppl putting s*#t on 4z engines only makes u want to go faster
elky
Gemini Master

Post by elky »

coxy's coupe is what got me into gems, he threw me the keys one night when it was just finished originally, i went with my missus (i guess he trusted me)

worked (and i mean proper "worked" not a cam and a weber) g200 with twins, a massive cam and a locker.....what can i say it was the fastest thing i had driven at that stage

i shelved plans for a rotary 808/rx 3 and bought my coupe 2 weeks later....

cheers
DR_GEM
Long Term Member

Post by DR_GEM »

i love this thread :D

good to see some people in the know making commentary - sorry if we hijacked the thread coxy - its a disservice to your car and the efforts you have put into it but im sure you'll agree its beneficial

as for the motor - very close spec to mine and i totally agree with smokey here - that is exactly what people need to get into their heads - things dont just "come together" as easily as it seems and trial and error is part and parcel with any project strip car.

my plan is to run my motor using a stock diesel gem 5 speed box with a brass button clutch and a high flowed series 5 HT82 rx7 turbo (rebuilt with a larger front compressor) and a hilux diff to get me into the low 12s

then up the ante with the auto, t04z and slicks to hopefully see me into the low 10's maybe 9's

If i make anywhere near the 450-500rwhp im chasing, then i think the 9 will be achievable, just like your plan :twisted:

All the best mate - you have the right attitude and approach thats for sure

Cheers

Mick
I wish i had something cool and witty in my signature
smokey
Regular

Post by smokey »

yea i second the sorry for highjacking ur thread.
Mick low 12s will be a walk in the park with the setup u mentioned i run that turbo set up u mentioned right now highflow HT18S S5 with the biggest comp wheel that will fit in the standard (albeit machined to with in an inch of its life )front cover .
a holden one tonner diff 4.4 ratio, gem 5speed,button clutch ect ect 12.6 115 mph was achievable with street tyres, full interior , stereo ,low boost and pump fuel,the possibilities are endless for future modifications even with out changing my turbo,which i admit it will have to be done soone or later.but my goal for now is not massive its a measly 12.4 on street tyres.
ill be racing in 2 weeks and now that i have a little experience and seen footage of a couple of my runs ill make the following changes and see how i go
A. bigger burnout
B.lower tyre pressure
C.headlight out
D.stereo ,subs ect ect out
E. try for consistant 1.8 60 foot ( tricky on street tyres with)
F.a drive it like u stole it mentality once the thing is off the line and hooked up
G a big smile
hopefully that will net me a 12.4 and i will be ecstatic :) untill next time
redzone (coxy)
Long Term Member

Post by redzone (coxy) »

hey its all good guys, i dont consider this thread derailed at all. i was a little hesitant to put the "9's" bit in the heading, as i know people are all too quick to jump on someone that has set a high standard to achieve. but i though hey bugger it, it's what i'm doing, i've had this engine combination built in my head since 2003, imagine how it would be now if i had've got stuck into this car properly back then instead of getting distracted building budget 300rwhp sohc 2L starions! so basically it has brought together a few of us who are doing kinda similar things to whip some SR20 ass.........

to be honest one of the main reasons the build got so delayed was from getting my business up and running. now its humming along i can play with this again..

ANYWAY....

waiting on the camshaft so i can set up the valvetrain, running swivel feet u have to take a bit more care with valve heights etc. but yes hopefully have the head bolted on end of next week! got my adjustable cam gear done too, anyone else want one? i have a spare one atm. its C1/D1 pulley type (2.6 is curvilinear yes????)

and darren, cheers for the kind comments, i have been following your efforts here and there since your red TD coupe featured in that mag many moons ago... and yes i was under no illusion of your reasons for keeping with the G180, all too often people do engine swaps just for the sake of it, only to go a lot slower than someone who spent the right dollars on the stock motor. case in point my TD coupe G161 suck through carby turbo running 13.5's at jamboree 2004, quicker than the SR20 gems running at that event! (discount micheal sheringham's FJ though :lol: )

1984 TG Panelvan
2006 Crewman SS 6.0
redzone (coxy)
Long Term Member

Post by redzone (coxy) »

elky wrote:coxy's coupe is what got me into gems, he threw me the keys one night when it was just finished originally, i went with my missus (i guess he trusted me)

worked (and i mean proper "worked" not a cam and a weber) g200 with twins, a massive cam and a locker.....what can i say it was the fastest thing i had driven at that stage

i shelved plans for a rotary 808/rx 3 and bought my coupe 2 weeks later....

cheers
yeah man i trusted ya.... and u were one of only 2 people outside my family that have driven it! seriously dude i CANT WAIT to drive along in mine next to yours.. PULL YOUR FINGER OUT DUDE!!!!! :lol:

1984 TG Panelvan
2006 Crewman SS 6.0
gemracing
Gemini Master

Post by gemracing »

redzone (coxy) wrote:hey its all good guys, i dont consider this thread derailed at all. i was a little hesitant to put the "9's" bit in the heading, as i know people are all too quick to jump on someone that has set a high standard to achieve. but i though hey bugger it, it's what i'm doing, i've had this engine combination built in my head since 2003, imagine how it would be now if i had've got stuck into this car properly back then instead of getting distracted building budget 300rwhp sohc 2L starions! so basically it has brought together a few of us who are doing kinda similar things to whip some SR20 ass.........

to be honest one of the main reasons the build got so delayed was from getting my business up and running. now its humming along i can play with this again..

ANYWAY....

waiting on the camshaft so i can set up the valvetrain, running swivel feet u have to take a bit more care with valve heights etc. but yes hopefully have the head bolted on end of next week! got my adjustable cam gear done too, anyone else want one? i have a spare one atm. its C1/D1 pulley type (2.6 is curvilinear yes????)

and darren, cheers for the kind comments, i have been following your efforts here and there since your red TD coupe featured in that mag many moons ago... and yes i was under no illusion of your reasons for keeping with the G180, all too often people do engine swaps just for the sake of it, only to go a lot slower than someone who spent the right dollars on the stock motor. case in point my TD coupe G161 suck through carby turbo running 13.5's at jamboree 2004, quicker than the SR20 gems running at that event! (discount micheal sheringham's FJ though :lol: )
Coxy,
I might take you up on the that spare adjustable cam gear now,just Pm me how much :D :D :D
Darren
Current Car.....

-G180 TX red coupe 9.20@148.6mph on a 26x8.5" tyre and no nitrous 2380lbs with driver
marc_greinke
n00b

Post by marc_greinke »

redzone (coxy) wrote:ahh yeah i remember man 8)

so have u got rid of the astina or keeping it??

and running that TE in the avatar or something else?
Nah dude, still got the astina, will be offloading it to my partner when we sell her Lancer sedan, then I can go out and buy another gem :P

Nah the TE is my old gem, wouldnt have a clue where it is now... God i miss that thing :cry:

Marc
SP20's are nice, but are in no comparison to a gem, I need another one :(
sly380
Regular

Post by sly380 »

since this has turned into the who's who of 4zs you'll all be pleased to know the godfather of the turbo 4ze1(matt spry) has undertaken a totall engine rebuild and gone to the limit. so watch out for for the green machine back at the track running single figures :D
Here we go again😒
redzone (coxy)
Long Term Member

Post by redzone (coxy) »

yeah i heard that, has been happening for a while, wonder if he'll be at mini jam??

my custom tighe cam should be here thursday so i should hopefully get the head on this weekend :D

1984 TG Panelvan
2006 Crewman SS 6.0
turbogemguy2006
Chatterbox

Post by turbogemguy2006 »

redzone (coxy) wrote:yeah i heard that, has been happening for a while, wonder if he'll be at mini jam??

my custom tighe cam should be here thursday so i should hopefully get the head on this weekend :D
I'm sure he's car will run fast but don't forget its a full bodied gem and I'm not sure it will be as fast as the others because of that...