My TD Gemini - The Hard Road.

This Forum is here for each member to post pics of his/her Gemini’s. Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Re: My TD Gemini - CHANGE OF HEART

Post by Jonno »

GeminiCoupe wrote:Now more kill-diff edition.
Fixed.

4zheadaches striking back with a vengance on OzGem!
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw
moley
Long Term Member

Post by moley »

I saw that on ebay!
Coupe rebuild number 6..
viewtopic.php?t=44564
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

Ok, so its been 6 months since last update. In short, it looks the same but its not. How does that make any f*#cking sense? Read on as I attempt to explain why the car looks no different to 6months ago and how bad this thing is cursed.

So it was due in January to get rubbed down and recleared, and it was. Had to disassemble all the external s*#t like mirrors [and god these are a c*#t], door locks etc allll over again. Not exactly my idea of fun but anyway. Adam did his thing, car looks better - still needs to be cut back a bit in a few spots but like I said, its better than before now. Once cut back I should be happy with it. Now, this is where the dramas started.

Couldn't book my usual towie so had to get someone else. General questions does the car run etc no I explain it doesn't, needs to be towed as im still rebuilding the suspension everything is loose, no brakes etc. No problems he says, car will be back at your place 11am, ok cool. 11am comes and goes, no car. Adam calls me at 3pm dude cars still here, I need to leave at 5 to go out so ill leave the car outside just before I take off. Towie yep sure ill make it there ive been held up with my first tow [repo job] all good. 6.30 the car turns up on the back of the tow truck ON THREE WHEELS, with the XR8 he repo'd being towed behind it. Wheres the 4th wheel? Someone must've stolen it in front of Adams he tells me - bulls*#t! By this point I f*#cking have steam coming out of my ears and primary concern is just getting the car in the garage before the rain comes down and I have an interior full of water.

So Adam checks his security cameras, and lo and behold theres old mate pushing my car out of frame to the back of the tow truck and shortly after that towing it BEHIND the truck, flying down the street with the f*#cking thing clear as day hanging off the back of the truck waving around in the wind.. Car has a locked diff, locked diffs don't like being dragged around corners so it spat the wheel nuts off and with it the f*#cking wheel. Called him back, lost my s*#t [this is the second time a towie has damaged my car, im convinced they are a "special" breed] at which point he admitted defeat. Did I mention the wheels we lost weren't mine, and were actually off my girlfriends car? Or that the supplier couldn't give me a price on a replacement wheel? Threw a tantrum, put it in the too hard basket, had a sook and as a result this is partly why ive done f*#k all with the car the last few months - sort of lost the will to do anything with it but stare at it for a while.

Thankfully, damage to car was minimal.

Needless to say wont be using him again. Rubber buffed off and the rest of the damage is mainly to the tow hook so zero f&*ks given for that. But that wheel, that f*#cking wheel! I stressed out so much over it, mrs was massively upset about it.

Few days later I get a picture message from Adam...hey dude check this out, your going to laugh.

:shock:

Fished it out, and lo and behold it hasn't got a SINGLE scratch on it.

Found scrape marks on the road, and basically the wheel has gone 10m, bounced OVER the gutter, down the nature strip another 10 odd m, OVER the park fence, 30m into the lake, and about 10m INTO the lake [and almost out the side] against a concrete drain without getting a single scratch. :o

So basically, most of the last few months has been spent re-assembling s*#t that I had to disassemble in Jan. What I have done -

Slowly sorting this mess out

Finally got this in properly, during the retrim the frame of the base got bent slightly making it hard to get it to "clip" where it was supposed to go. That and I f*#cked up the rear pillar trim [had to redo this], couldn't find seatbelts [stole the ones out of natashas car LOL] etc etc.

Rarespares had 20% off on Sunday so went and bought some random s*#t. Sidenote - wish I had a HQ, f*#k they make some nice stuff for them!

For anyone having dramas getting these stupid things to squeeze into the gaurds....

....silicon spray, socket extension and a mallet. 1/2" drive extension is the right size/shape to fit in the recess, give it a quick whack with the mallet and its in. NOTE I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DENTS OR SCRATCHES YOU MAY MAKE IF YOU ARE UNCAPABLE OR A KLUTZ.

So the plan from here-in is:

I need to get this thing going ASAP, like, talking end of October ASAP. Will time/weather/budget/devine intervention conspire against me to prevent this from happening? Probably, but ill give it a stab regardless.

N-
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

I need to get this thing going ASAP, like, talking end of Sept.
Fixed
75 TX Coupe
LOK15
Gemini Master

Post by LOK15 »

The trick to the bonnet/giuard rubbers is to twist them in 90 degrees and ue a small flat blade screwdriver to push the last little bit of rubber down.. no lube needed! And saves and possible dentage.
Getting too old for this s*#t!!
DR_GEM
Long Term Member

Post by DR_GEM »

f*#k man what a journey

Its good to be back here after so long reading updates from the long time members

I feel your pain and frustration though. I've contemplated registering mine whilst its in high fill and s%*tty interior with just the motor dropped in naturally aspirated just so I can get motivated to finish it finally and stop being a perfectionist that procrastinates and does nothing!

Maybe you and I will be finally finished our s*#t boxes together in the near future

Lets share progress to spur each other on

Mick
I wish i had something cool and witty in my signature
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

Mick,

To say the thing has been frustrating would be a gross understatement. Over the 7 odd years ive owned this thing its tried to kill me on multiple occasions, attempted to set itself on fire twice, and just plain old fights me every single step of the f*#cking way. To say its kicked my ass and sent me mad is putting it bluntly :lol: The sad part is theres always something in the way - if its not time, its money. Enough is enough though because i need to get this thing going. In a way im hoping updating this s*#t [the thread] will sort of spurn me on into actually getting stuff done on it, be it either via encouragement from people reading or from realizing just how f*#cking little ive achieved :oops:

Aim is as follows. Finish assembly > re-register > dismantle > install good bits > skid.

Here we go.

N-

81 TE Gemini Sedan
DR_GEM
Long Term Member

Post by DR_GEM »

Completely understand man (except my car hasn't tried killing me - well not physically anyway)

Heartache has been a prominent feature

Now wish I had just concentrated on this instead of the subie over the last few years

Will be watching eagerly and also trying to best you to it

Mick
I wish i had something cool and witty in my signature
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

So, its been too cold to do much on this.

But its not just the cold, this car lives up to its reputation of being a giant c*#t by making everything difficult. I will explain lower. Ive tried to do bits and pieces during the week to get stuff crossed off the list; some of it you can take photos of, other s*#t like trying to work out why you keep blowing the indicator fuse when you use the RH indicator circuit you cant. As a result, useless pictures of things i DID do below. Like the seat belt buckles for instance. This is what good ones look like.

And this is what the front seat buckles that DO get used look like. Oh dear.

s%*tty little thing - who cares! whos going to notice?! Truth is, i didnt even notice :lol: but i walked into Rarespares and saw these on the rack.

Ooooooo i said, must have. Is shiny. Much better now [hey, i felt like i did something alright?!]

Needed to do something about these stupid things.

So some spray adhesive, glue and bulldog clips and this is what you get.

So wheres the photo of them fitted? Erm, they arent fitted. I got beaten by a f*#cking SEAT BELT BOLT. It goes something like this - put the rear carpet in, put the front seat belts in, yep sweet doing the bolt on the last buckle before i can put the front half of the carpet in aaaaand....it just spins. The thread is destroyed. Cue swearing and internet searching because the damn bolt doesnt match any of the taps i have. So for anyone that has this problem here it is: if you have stripped the thread for your seat belt / seatbelts [wrote it both ways so it comes up in search; bite me] the THREAD SIZE YOU NEED IS 7/16 UNF. NOTE: THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO EARLY TX WHICH IS DIFFERENT.

Secured glove box lid, radio - couldnt find brackets so made them from central locking mount straps, and other bits and pieces. Yes its dusty, but if you look past the dust you'll notice its missing the radio control knobs. f*#k. Whered i leave these?

Doesnt matter, ill make my own. See a while ago i ended up with ten of these - yes ten.

And it actually might work! Plan is to break two of the bigger knobs, drill throw them, then glue the two smaller knobs on top. Problem solved.

If your buying front carpet, DO NOT GET THE TRU FIT CARPET. Its s*#t. The front half doesnt fit, and the pedal pad is crap, just get knox. Thinking i might have to cut it down the middle to get it to fit right [it sits on an angle at the moment and loose as around the tunnel]

Also loosely roughed out my fuel system for later.

Thats it for now. Being sent to QLD for work this weekend so no work till next week. Hoping to have it ready for RWC and re-reg in two weeks time. Lets see if that happens.

N-

81 TE Gemini Sedan
SMOO4U

Post by SMOO4U »

lOOKING GOOD
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

F3ARED wrote:Thats it for now. Being sent to QLD for work this weekend so no work till next week. Hoping to have it ready for RWC and re-reg in two weeks time. Lets see if that happens.
N-
Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:31 pm
Clears throat
75 TX Coupe
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

Jonno wrote:
F3ARED wrote:Thats it for now. Being sent to QLD for work this weekend so no work till next week. Hoping to have it ready for RWC and re-reg in two weeks time. Lets see if that happens.
N-
Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:31 pm
Clears throat
6 Monthly update.

No its still not registered.

No its still not finished.

Does drive though. Drove it to my old mans house when i was auctioning my house. Also, bought wheels which im not 100% sold on atm. And im not sure will even fit when i put the VT brakes on.

So I sold my house, which means this had to be relocated somewhere else where i could work on it. Now lives at my father inlaws.

Im supposed to be driving this to nationals, so have under 2 weeks to get it going. Cue LOLS at me.

Also, lol at my old man.

Nick-

81 TE Gemini Sedan
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

Wheels look ace!

I'm tempted to paint the coupes wheels white and put them on my sedan.
75 TX Coupe
GEMWRC
Long Term Member

Post by GEMWRC »

Get stuck in dude . .
You got this no probs .
NANKERVIS08
Regular