Eli's orange drift TG - now 4ZE1+T, massive update P16

This Forum is here for each member to post pics of his/her Gemini’s. Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
gemi_wagon_punk
Regular

Post by gemi_wagon_punk »

got the mag last night... nice to see some gems in it!!

any idea who's is the other gem on page 83 green Te I think? NSW Matsuri Madness?

Grats on your pic in the mag!!! Caption is not the best but still got to be happy with the snap :D
*..Punk in drubliC..*
archangel62
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

Yeah I'm not sure who that was! Would love to know, whenever I see another Gemini drifting, I just want to do tandems, and Vic is vaguely within reach (I'll be looking at interstate events when she's turbo). Wonder if I can find it on Youtube...
orange_gem wrote:Hey man I got my adjustable rear sway bar from k-mac check out there website and they will sort you out. They got a heap of Gemini stuff from back in the Bathurst days.
Thanks man :D Heath mentioned to ask you, beat me to it (which is a good thing because I'm damn forgetful). I'll have a sus, since I have way more Geminis than aftermarket rear swaybars!
My Gemini drift videos: http://www.youtube.com/PandamoniumDrift
Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PandamoniumDrift
Current tally: 5 Geminis and a Piazza
canon56348
n00b

Post by canon56348 »

Way to go man! keep the vids comin and keep up the good work!
archangel62
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

Cheers!

THE NEXT BIG EVENTS:
September 1st - Mallala 10/10 Matsuri, this is going to be huge! Can't wait!
September 7th/8th - Stadium Drift double event, it's an SA round and a national round, over two days at Tailem Bend! Last time I came 8th, wonder if I can improve on that?

Nothing much has happened to the car lately, I've been flat out on my rusty TE rebuild (and a pretty huge incident in the daily/tow car that's needed attention) - plus full time work and TAFE!

However.. there's still plenty of news. My mate Cam (R32 with checkered bonnet) and I have been running under the banner of "Pandamonium" for a while, but it's all been unofficial and low key. This weekend, we'll be launching a Facebook page and a new youtube channel - the old ones will stay up and I'll keep using the Eli The Drift Panda Facebook a bit, but focus will be on the new ones. We have wicked "Pandamonium" stickers for the cars now! I've just got a GoPro Hero 2, so expect even better videos :D as well as a Kamikaze front-lip camera. Cam's got himself a couple of cameras too, so we should be covered for footage, although my orange shockproof camera's off for repairs (no idea why it broke, believe it or not it's never fallen off LOL).

Besides that.. I can now announce that I'm on the board of "Drifting SA" - a proper, official group to boost the sport in SA! We've been flat out for a year or so building this club, check us out on Facebook, things are going to change for the better!

Car-wise.. I have to pull my finger out and get this turbo build under way, I've pretty much finished stockpiling parts and need to make it happen. Once it's nearly done I'm going to start actually chasing sponsorship, I've been holding off because I want to give the right impression, not just say "one day it'll be fast". I have big brakes for the front - Commodore calipers on Magna discs I believe, so I'll be fitting them after the next couple of events, and chasing extra steering lock while I'm at it. Custom LCAs are a possibility, if required.
archangel62
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

Hey guys, massive update, a NEW VIDEO, a NEW CHANNEL (subscribe!) and the car's getting parked!

MALLALA 10/10 MATSURI
Had a blast. No hits or cosmetic damage, a couple of somewhat close calls. I stopped doing scando's into the first corner and went for speed instead, and found I can usually link corners 1-2! I also ran more grip than last time I was at Lala, which made the esses hard work - once again I stopped doing massive scando's in favour of speed and smooth lines.

Then the timing chain broke. Yeah, that sucked. Four bent valves, and I'd already entered Stadium Drift the following weekend!

So I fixed it. Ripped the engine and gearbox out during the week, timing case off, head off, sump off, checked a rod bearing while I was there (maybe <1/4 wear, still going strong!) had my spare ported head faced - more flow, but less compression due to larger chambers - fitted a double row timing chain borrowed from Ethan, but had to make a thick timing case gasket in a major hurry, I used cork (DON'T DO THIS) and got the thing running on Thursday, the day before Stadium Drift.

STADIUM DRIFT ROUND 3 - TWO DAY EVENT - video soon!
Did three runs on Friday, then there was a pop and oil blasted out everywhere. The thick cork timing case gasket had exploded around the high pressure oil line from the pump to block. Day ended. After a trying week I was absolutely furious, exhausted, spent. I had it on the trailer and was ready to go home... then my friends convinced me it was possible for us to get it fixed overnight (I had serious reservations).

Scored a few laps driving Cam's R32 which was awesome fun, and a couple of f**king scary laps driving my mate's stock open diff NA RB20E (no typo) Cefiro with shithouse suspension and bald front tyres. That didn't work.

Trailered the car back to my friends Kat and Justin's house, and you can't get much better friends than this. Justin, Jono (the guy painting my TE), Cam and I managed to drop the sump, remove the studs from the timing case, cut two thick paper gaskets, gunk it up and re-fit without removing the engine from the car. Took us about 7 hours that night and a bit of coffee, but we did it, it worked, the timing case didn't leak.

I was lining up on the grid for the warm-up session when a marshal approached me. "You're leaking oil." F**k. Back to the pits. In the madness we had to reuse the reused sump gasket. At no time in the last week did I have the chance to get a new one, and it had been fine on the Friday thanks to copious non-hardening sealant. However, with the quick fix, we couldn't get in there to re-apply sealant, and the sump gasket was now three uses old, filthy, and dry. So I spent the warm-up session with the Gem on the trailer ramps, in my racesuit under the car, tightening the f**k out of the sump bolts and testing it down an unused road. It took three attempts, and still leaked very slowly from the rear semicircle. Nothing I could do.

I made it to the grid just in time for my first battle. No warm-up, on cold and s*#t tyres, stressed and exhausted. Drove like sh*t. Same story for my second battle which was immediately after. Half hour break - into pits, changed to brand new tyres just in time for my third battle - still cold tyres etc. Drove better, not amazingly but not too bad. Fourth battle was slightly better. Needless to say I didn't make the top 8. We had a few hours break, then returned for the track for open session. I got a few runs in, but by now the leak had sped up and the marshals pulled me off again - day over.

All in all, I'm somewhat happy. From no less than three mechanical f**kups which could have put me completely out of action for the event, I managed to still get some fun runs in. It's a lot better than it could have been.

AND NOW...
The drift car is being parked, for a long time. Not for good. The G180Z is coming out, and I'm doing some serious modifications. I'm keeping the details semi-quiet, but OzGemini, I love you long time, so enjoy. Feedback welcome:

- Full cage, debating between bolt-in and weld-in
- Fit some big front brakes I have lying around - I believe early Commodore calipers and Magna discs - shouldn't inhibit steering lock
- Fit an offset steering rack spacer and see how much lock I can get, I'm going to go a bit Frankenstein and go custom LCAs if need be
- Finally get around to building my 4ZD1. I have a Gemracing turbo manifold, the older style Gemracing plenum and 4ZE1 runners, going an E1 head, forged pistons and spool rods, ARP head studs, MLS HG, might go bigger exhaust valves, decent cam, Piazza oil cooler, brass button clutch, MUA box for the moment, C1 sump with some modification to clear the rack... starting with a GT2860RS because I have a few, but I might look at a GT3071R. I want response, and 230rwkw+.

This might take a while, but watch this space.
zep
Long Term Member

Post by zep »

I don't know a whole lot about drifting, but I do admire your dedication, workmanship and aspirations. Saying that, I'll give you my 2c (which someone may negate).

I would go for a weld in cage. It is ALWAYS going to be stronger. No matter how hard you tighten your bolts, you are never going to get a stronger contact point than the welded feet. And I doubt that one you get the cage in you will want to take it out, they are just too badass - this car seems to be pretty tract dedicated now anyway.

Commodore brakes are heavy. Perhaps look into the E30 BMW discs with FD RX7 6pot calipers conversion. Will require some hub mods but I think you've got what it takes. If I wanted to spend the cash I would remove my VT brakes and buy a Chevette/Opel Wilwood kit.

I know nothing about steering racks, and your engine plan sounds great.
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

Will have to be weld in. Drift events are going to be using the same cage regs as IPRA, i know this as im helping the gf's lil cousin with his 180.
Fit some big front brakes I have lying around - I believe early Commodore calipers and Magna discs - shouldn't inhibit steering lock
Yes. Commo calipers are fine, if they can haul 1500-odd kg up then itll work fine on the gem.
Finally get around to building my 4ZD1. I have a Gemracing turbo manifold, the older style Gemracing plenum and 4ZE1 runners, going an E1 head, forged pistons and spool rods, ARP head studs, MLS HG, might go bigger exhaust valves, decent cam, Piazza oil cooler, brass button clutch, MUA box for the moment, C1 sump with some modification to clear the rack... starting with a GT2860RS because I have a few, but I might look at a GT3071R. I want response, and 230rwkw+.
Ok so spool rods are cheap @ $500 on ebay but you dont NEED them. Shotpeen the standard ones, plenty strong. MLS is overkill, keep the arp studs and just get a graphite. Not sure what valves the D1's use but youd want to atleast run 4ZE1 sized valves.
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
archangel62
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

Thanks for the responses guys :D

I'm partial to weld-in too. IP doesn't require weld in, I know a few guys running bolt-in there. The only reason I'd go bolt in would be so that if I bin it really badly and need to re-shell, I can save money. Mind you, I'm sure that if I had to re-shell, the old cage could be cut out and re-welded in there, it'd still cost less than a brand new one. Alright, weld-in it is. Plus, I'm pretty sentimental with cars as we all know - it'd have to be a preeeeetty bad hit for me to re-shell.

As for the brakes - Zep I do agree with reducing the unsprung weight, but I think it's a bit of a cost versus practicality thing. So far every brake kit I've bought has been second hand, cheap, and pretty much ready to bolt on. I envision RX7 brakes being a lot more expensive and requiring a lot more custom work. It might be worth looking at in the future though. Then again, with live axle, it's sort of a lost cause! With 80kg of crap thumping around back there, a few kilo's of brakes won't make much difference.

I've been tempted to go IRS on the drift car, but most of the IRS cars I've driven have behaved strange sideways. Ironically if I went IRS I'd want a setup with no active camber modification through the travel - ie, behaving just like live axle, but with a small amount of static camber, less unsprung weight, and independent actuation left and right. And the "cradle" would have to be welded to the floor, none of this floaty bushes crap!

But yeah, in the meantime I'm going with the cheap and easy option - something that will stop the car reliably, all day from high speed. They're not the full blown Commodore setup, they're the baby brother earlier single pots with Magna discs, so a bit lighter but still plenty of stopping power!

We're just finishing off a paint job on my formerly rusty TE - it goes in the booth Tuesday, so once that's home I can start putting some time into the drift car! Sadly though, to be realistic, this really isn't going to happen overnight.
geminilover3236
Long Term Member

Post by geminilover3236 »

archangel62 wrote: I've been tempted to go IRS on the drift car, but most of the IRS cars I've driven have behaved strange sideways. Ironically if I went IRS I'd want a setup with no active camber modification through the travel - ie, behaving just like live axle, but with a small amount of static camber, less unsprung weight, and independent actuation left and right. And the "cradle" would have to be welded to the floor, none of this floaty bushes crap!
This!

It is always the way though at big events; something has to go wrong and your in the biggest rush to fix it.

Queensland Raceway Matsuri is on in 2 weeks so will be interesting to see the sort of mayhem that goes on there this year.
Cazz
Regular

Post by Cazz »

zep wrote: I would go for a weld in cage. It is ALWAYS going to be stronger. No matter how hard you tighten your bolts, you are never going to get a stronger contact point than the welded feet. And I doubt that one you get the cage in you will want to take it out, they are just too badass - this car seems to be pretty tract dedicated now anyway.
Just to mention, Bolt in cages have anchor points welded onto the car. It's not bolted directly to the car. It's just the weld-ins get welded to the plate as apposed to bolt in, so basically, they're just as strong as each other. If done properly and using good materials, bolt-in is just as strong.
Hence, my IPRA Lancer has a bolt-in built by my old man.
You put you left foot in, You put your right foot in , You take your left foot out and you slide it all about!
Pub

Post by Pub »

some pretty good drifting there didnt think a gemi could do so well...
archangel62
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

Thanks man! It's all just the handling, the car has stuff all power but it's just so predictable! :lol:
orange_gem
Regular

Post by orange_gem »

Sound abot flat stick like me to get my car ready man. Have abit to go but will have it ready for our big meet up here in october. we have some of you Mexicans coming up as well... mardle and may and I couple others from G1gobba be sick tandem with them will have footage for sure from the meet. I like your work man. Seriously wrote next year off and get it all done. I am probably gonna do that to have it how I want it before it hits the track again.
Keepin it sideways in the territory
archangel62
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

Time for the LAST VIDEO FOR A WHILE! :o Yep, Stadium Drift SA Rd 3

This is what it's all about, the spirit of drift, great sportsmanship and great friends. Massive thanks to everyone that helped me out with this weekend!

archangel62 wrote:
Then the timing chain broke [at Mallala]. Yeah, that sucked. Four bent valves, and I'd already entered Stadium Drift the following weekend!

So I fixed it. Ripped the engine and gearbox out during the week, timing case off, head off, sump off, checked a rod bearing while I was there (maybe <1/4 wear, still going strong!) had my spare ported head faced - more flow, but less compression due to larger chambers - fitted a double row timing chain borrowed from Ethan, but had to make a thick timing case gasket in a major hurry, I used cork (DON'T DO THIS) and got the thing running on Thursday, the day before Stadium Drift.

STADIUM DRIFT ROUND 3 - TWO DAY EVENT
Did three runs on Friday, then there was a pop and oil blasted out everywhere. The thick cork timing case gasket had exploded around the high pressure oil line from the pump to block. Day ended. After a trying week I was absolutely furious, exhausted, spent. I had it on the trailer and was ready to go home... then my friends convinced me it was possible for us to get it fixed overnight (I had serious reservations).

Scored a few laps driving Cam's R32 which was awesome fun, and a couple of f**king scary laps driving my mate's stock open diff NA RB20E (no typo) Cefiro with shithouse suspension and bald front tyres. That didn't work.

Trailered the car back to my friends Kat and Justin's house, and you can't get much better friends than this. Justin, Jono (the guy painting my TE), Cam and I managed to drop the sump, remove the studs from the timing case, cut two thick paper gaskets, gunk it up and re-fit without removing the engine from the car. Took us about 7 hours that night and a bit of coffee, but we did it, it worked, the timing case didn't leak.

I was lining up on the grid for the warm-up session when a marshal approached me. "You're leaking oil." F**k. Back to the pits. In the madness we had to reuse the reused sump gasket. At no time in the last week did I have the chance to get a new one, and it had been fine on the Friday thanks to copious non-hardening sealant. However, with the quick fix, we couldn't get in there to re-apply sealant, and the sump gasket was now three uses old, filthy, and dry. So I spent the warm-up session with the Gem on the trailer ramps, in my racesuit under the car, tightening the f**k out of the sump bolts and testing it down an unused road. It took three attempts, and still leaked very slowly from the rear semicircle. Nothing I could do.

I made it to the grid just in time for my first battle. No warm-up, on cold and s*#t tyres, stressed and exhausted. Drove like sh*t. Same story for my second battle which was immediately after. Half hour break - into pits, changed to brand new tyres just in time for my third battle - still cold tyres etc. Drove better, not amazingly but not too bad. Fourth battle was slightly better. Needless to say I didn't make the top 8. We had a few hours break, then returned for the track for open session. I got a few runs in, but by now the leak had sped up and the marshals pulled me off again - day over.

All in all, I'm somewhat happy. From no less than three mechanical f**kups which could have put me completely out of action for the event, I managed to still get some fun runs in. It's a lot better than it could have been.

AND NOW...
The drift car is being parked, for a long time. Not for good. The G180Z is coming out, and I'm doing some serious modifications. I'm keeping the details semi-quiet, but OzGemini, I love you long time, so enjoy. Feedback welcome:

- Fit some big front brakes I have lying around - I believe early Commodore calipers and Magna discs - shouldn't inhibit steering lock
- Fit an offset steering rack spacer and see how much lock I can get, I'm going to go a bit Frankenstein and go custom LCAs if need be
- Finally get around to building my 4ZD1. I have a Gemracing turbo manifold, the older style Gemracing plenum and 4ZE1 runners, going an E1 head, forged pistons and spool rods, ARP head studs, MLS HG, might go bigger exhaust valves, decent cam, Piazza oil cooler, brass button clutch, MUA box for the moment, C1 sump with some modification to clear the rack... starting with a GT2860RS because I have a few, but I might look at a GT3071R. I want response, and 230rwkw+.

This might take a while, but watch this space.
orange_gem
Regular

Post by orange_gem »

man it looks awesome down there everytime i watch your footage. im gonna have to come down for sure next year. for a matsuri so i can run a muck with you guys. i got a heap to do in the off season for it to be right again. rush rush rush.

love your work
Keepin it sideways in the territory