1975 TX Coupe "Zero" - Lowdown Styled Drift Gem

This Forum is here for each member to post pics of his/her Gemini’s. Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
Hachikansai77
Regular

1975 TX Coupe "Zero" - Lowdown Styled Drift Gem

Post by Hachikansai77 »

Picked this up today for $500 to replace the blue TE I was going to track. Turns out the damage was too much work to fix to a safe standard, at least with my limited abilities, so I decided to start afresh.

Bought from Chad (Gemazare) who seems to have a knack for finding good TX Coupes (this is my second, and both were bought from him).
Being a 7/75 TX, this is a Pre ADR spec car with all the early differences. It's also a genuine manual compared to my other Coupe which was converted from Auto.

No motor, box, lights or grille, but aside from that it's an almost complete roller. Just need a four bolt master/booster and a couple of other small things to make it complete. Body wise it's actually quite good, but the metal the chassis number is stamped on (down by the D/S headlight on these), has been damaged so registering it would probably be too difficult.
There is some small bits of rust in the usual areas, the boot floor isn't perfect, but I'd prefer it that way, and there has been a dodgy plate over in the engine corner sections. There are also some ripples in the D/S rear quarter and a bit of bog in the other side, but for a track car that doesn't bother me at all.

More Pics:

Had a bit of bingle here by the looks of it, panel gaps and cracks give it away:

The thing with the TE is, that my heart just wasn't in it. I'm not a fan of late models in general, and TEs only get some love from me since they still use the early dash as well as a couple of other things. Even so, I've always secretly wanted to track an early, though the fact that I scored a decent Coupe at a good price was unexpected.

Plans are as they were with the last one, as pretty much everything I had saved for the TE will be going into this (part of the reason I stuck with the TE as it turns out, in case I ever had to reshell). The VT brakes, fibreglass dash, gauges, harness, wheels, springs, and the LSD when it is done will all go in this, and a full cage from Walker Chassis at some point.

For now, I'm just going to put the E1 in with the twin IDFs on the Lynx manifold, but I plan to do a halfway NA motor before I go turbo on one of my G180Zs. It'll be a G161 bored to suit 88mm flat tops (over-square for massive revs) taking the same carbies with a massive cam and ported head.

The goal is to have this track-ready in time for the 2012 drift season, to coincide with Eli getting his orange car repaired and back on the track.
Last edited by Hachikansai77 on Mon May 06, 2013 1:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
TD Sedan "Derrick/Dez"
TX Coupe "Zero": Longterm Zokusha/Drift Build.
TE Diesel Sedan: Turbo Sandpiper II Mockup (In Progress)
TE Sedan "Bella": Basic Battle Bitch
Hilux: Daily

TL;DR: STOP OFFERING ME GEMINIS!!!
GEMWRC
Long Term Member

Post by GEMWRC »

woot nice work man, nice my Coupe was yellow tooo :) , did you get the heater core for that dash . and a complete rear shelf man thats 36 years old !!!!!!!!!!!
Hachikansai77
Regular

Post by Hachikansai77 »

It hasn't even really sunk in yet, but I know my family is going to kill me once they get back. Hopefully the TE and the orange TX will be gone soon. I'd be working on them today if the Bay to Birdwood Classic Cruise wasn't on.

I've got a couple of the TX heater cores now, as that's the model I've owned the most of (my fifth now). This one does have one, but it won't be needed so I'll save it for one of the others.
I was very surprised by the parcel shelf, because as you say, it's 36 years old and the body hasn't exactly been looked after. Must have just been parked in the shade for a long time.
This was one of the last things I needed for the other Coupe's resto, so I'm pretty stoked even if it does have some holes cut; better than nothing.

I'll start stripping the interior over the week, pull the front guards off just to check what's under there/clean them out, and pull back the wiring for a few additions and to clean the engine bay properly.
TD Sedan "Derrick/Dez"

Hachikansai77
Regular

Post by Hachikansai77 »

Been chipping away at this over the week, but the weather has stalled progress a bit. I'm hoping to pull the E1 out this weekend and change sumps/inlet/clutch and prepare it for dropping in.

Went rust hunting, found a little more:

In two minds if I should plate this now or later, kinda CBF as it's only drift to start with, and it's not structural. We'll see.

Got the dash out, and the drivers seat as well. I'm pulling out the heater core as well as it won't be needed. The loom is being pulled back so I can remove any unessential wiring and splice in for the bigger fuel pump, gauges etc.

Also, since the bootlid on this is MINT (and that's about the only panel that is) I dragged my other Coupe's old rusty bootlid out of retirement:

Good thing I kept it, was this close to chucking it away.

Tried pulling off the rear bar, this happened (Along with taking a chuck of flesh out of my hand when it snapped :x ):

The benefit of being a parts hoarder, is that things like average bumpers are easy to come by for me, so I chucked the rustiest, shittiest bumper I could find on for a laugh:

After looking at it for a while, I've decided it looks kinda cool. A bit Rattish and gives it some extra character, and there's more coming.

STILL waiting on any info about my 15x8s too... :evil:
TD Sedan "Derrick/Dez"

330reid
Regular

Post by 330reid »

mate from my CALCULATIONS its gunaa take YOU atleast 6 kgs or 6 Ltrs of bog to fix up this beast,

Hey shes gunna look good from the outside.
330reid
Regular

Post by 330reid »

can i please request a piccy of the b tx number printed in the front of the car,
Hachikansai77
Regular

Post by Hachikansai77 »

Why?
TD Sedan "Derrick/Dez"

330reid
Regular

Post by 330reid »

just curious, its be good to see its actually legit, looks like tc tail light surounds on her
Hachikansai77
Regular

Post by Hachikansai77 »

TX and TC coupes ran the same tails. TXs had Isuzu-Holden garnishes, TCs had Holden Gemini garnishes.

It is a TX, I don't have to see the chassis number to know that. However, I already posted a pic of the chassis number at the start of the thread. You just can't see it since the metal has been rippled in that spot.
TD Sedan "Derrick/Dez"

330reid
Regular

Post by 330reid »

i believe its a tx, id still like to see it, and yes its a rust bucket
Hachikansai77
Regular

Post by Hachikansai77 »

330reid wrote:i believe its a tx, id still like to see it, and yes its a rust bucket
OMG really?! I should do something about that eh? Thanks for telling me :D

Question, why do you need to see MY chassis number when a keen eye will spot features that are only specific to the earliest of TXs like this one?
TD Sedan "Derrick/Dez"

stock_gem
Regular

Post by stock_gem »

don't even need a keen eye, those round engine mounts stick out like dog's balls :lol:
Last edited by stock_gem on Fri Feb 32, 3043 13:75 pm; edited 3.14159265 times in total
330reid
Regular

Post by 330reid »

even i can tell its a tx, simply asking for a photo of that section of the car.
suprafrog
Regular

Post by suprafrog »

330reid wrote:even i can tell its a tx, simply asking for a photo of that section of the car.
so, let me get this right, you know its a TX thanks to obvious TX only pieces, but still want a photo of the chassis number??

something doesn't seem right here..
stock_gem
Regular

Post by stock_gem »

suprafrog wrote:
330reid wrote:even i can tell its a tx, simply asking for a photo of that section of the car.
so, let me get this right, you know its a TX thanks to obvious TX only pieces, but still want a photo of the chassis number??

something doesn't seem right here..
considering this car probably wont ever get registered again and that number is useless to it while sideways...
Last edited by stock_gem on Fri Feb 32, 3043 13:75 pm; edited 3.14159265 times in total