1975 TX Coupe "Zero" - Lowdown Styled Drift Gem

This Forum is here for each member to post pics of his/her Gemini’s. Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
Hachikansai77
Regular

Post by Hachikansai77 »

redzone (coxy) wrote:If you're not using those headers I sent you, I have a mate who will buy them off you
:lol:

Nah I'm glad I bought them off you when I did, the old ones (on the right) were pretty much the only thing about the package that I really wasn't happy with at all. They look like s*#t hahaha

Matt; that was more or less my thinking, just that I want to try and keep it as safe as possible, but I supposed there's as much risk on the inside as the outside at the end of the day.

Started it up earlier before it got too dark. I managed to get a secondary return spring on it, so it doesn't stick open any more. Idles nice once it warms up a little, and no leaks :D
TD Sedan "Derrick/Dez"
TX Coupe "Zero": Longterm Zokusha/Drift Build.
TE Diesel Sedan: Turbo Sandpiper II Mockup (In Progress)
TE Sedan "Bella": Basic Battle Bitch
Hilux: Daily

TL;DR: STOP OFFERING ME GEMINIS!!!
MGOTD
Regular

Post by MGOTD »

Yeah most race cars leave the ecu in an easily accessable place is it a fibre glass dash? Could always just use a nice sized alloy plate on the opposite side to reinforce the mounting point.

Cheers
Hachikansai77
Regular

Post by Hachikansai77 »

That's a good idea ^^^ as it's more or less mounted on a sheet of fibreglass and cardboard at the moment. Something solid would probably be better hahaha

Today I drove it for the first time since I bought the shell... about half a metre forward in the shed :P
At least now I know that the clutch and gearbox works. I also jacked up the back and checked to make sure it ran through each gear properly.

I'll need to put the old Salisbury back in the TE again so I can move it out of the way, then after I bleed the brakes to get a decent pedal I may just have a driveway/street video to show before the year is over :twisted:
TD Sedan "Derrick/Dez"

geminilover3236
Long Term Member

Post by geminilover3236 »

Getting excited! More gemini drifters :D
Hachikansai77
Regular

Post by Hachikansai77 »

TD Sedan "Derrick/Dez"

Hachikansai77
Regular

Post by Hachikansai77 »

Since I'm not going back to work until the 7th of January, and I got an invitation to drive at a drift Wedding/practice day (yes, I'm being 100% serious) on the 5th, I decided it would be worthwhile using that as the car's official unveiling and shakedown. I've since gone back and redone the timing properly with a timing light (thanks Pete), so it now idles and runs reasonably well for an untouched tune.
I took it for a sneaky 30 second squirt up the street, and it feels quite good, but ultimately the only places I can truly test it properly are on a dyno or at a track day.
Greased up the balljoints, bled the brakes (the pedal is ROCK solid which I'm very pleased about), and refitted all the good suspension. Also fitted up the Cobra bucket for the driver, and with the help of a few zip-ties, in true drifter style, mounted the hand controller as my temporary instrument cluster.

The only things now, are a few exhaust leaks due to using an old flange gasket, and no clamp for the rear muffler, as well as the fact that the alternator isn't charging the battery. However I'm putting the latter down to the fact that the external regulator isn't hooked up.
Unless I can get it all fixed up in time, it will have no working headlights, taillights, or indicators, but the bare essentials will be there, and that's all I need.
TD Sedan "Derrick/Dez"

Hachikansai77
Regular

Post by Hachikansai77 »

So at this point it looks like I may be doing the whole weekend, considering it's only another $50 for a full day's drifting, it's kind of a no-brainer. Just needed to find someone who could tow on both days.

Car is pretty much done, cleaned up the earths and it seems to hold charge a lot better now. Even if I need a jump or two over the weekend I'm not too concerned. I can take the batteries back with me to charge them up overnight if need be.

Mount the extinguisher, changed the fluids, gave it a quick alignment by eye, and just tidied up the last few things needed. Went down to Bunnings today and got the stuff to make up a new intake, as I wasn't satisfied with the hacked up job that was done. Don't laugh... PVC is awesome for budget spec...

TD Sedan "Derrick/Dez"

Hachikansai77
Regular

Post by Hachikansai77 »

Uggh... where do I begin?...

Okay, so Eli helped tow me out to Tailem on Saturday, and immediately s*#t started going wrong. It took nearly all morning before everything was ready and we could actually take it out for a test.
The whole day one thing after another went wrong with the car, and eventually I was forced to give up when the fuel pump decided to die.

After all that work, there are a number of key issues that will need to be addressed before the car can even be considered close to usable for drift, or anything else for that matter.

1: The battery is still getting drained, and likely the alternator either isn't supplying charge, or simply can't cope with the additional load from the EFI upgrade.
2: due to some unknown cause, the steering has next to no feedback (castor specifically) which makes the car nigh on unslideable.
3: In addition, the brand new directionals (Admiral 712s) I intended to use for steerers are completely useless. Plows majorly and is just a nightmare to drive on. Federal 595s are the go.
4: There is a slow oil leak of some sort which appears to be coming from the rear main seal (fingers crossed, easy fix compared to NLA sump gasket). Not happy, as this was supposed to be a reasonably fresh rebuild km wise.
5: Numerous electrical connections not up to scratch over the day, mainly due to my rushed job getting everything working. Not to mention the fact that most of the standard loom, including lights, doesn't work.
6: Though I knew this prior, the rust holes in the firewall will not be acceptable for any future events. I was given leigh-way for this event only.
7: As above, at the end of the day, the fuel pump cut out completely, so a brand new item is likely the way things will have to go.

On top of that, I missed out on the second day today, but I got a steer another driver's hachi for a few laps (my first time in one, passenger or driving) which helped put a smile on my face.

It's been another very frustrating weekend, but that's cars/drift for you, and considering I got the car from a bare shell to on the track within a month or so, with a completely untested package, I'd be surprised if everything went perfectly to plan.
I know the work that needs to be done, but for now this car will have to take a back seat so I can get other priorities sorted, and then focus on the red car for this years Gemini Nationals at Easter.

A few photos of the day from the dozen or so runs that were managed between Eli and myself.

TD Sedan "Derrick/Dez"

geminilover3236
Long Term Member

Post by geminilover3236 »

Welcome to track days, never ever seems to go to plan. Last track day I took a massive toolbox filled with spare gemini parts and tools so that if anything broke I would be able to fix it. And at Matsuri last year, luke20 brought a headgasket with him to the event coz he called it would blow and sure enough it did.

Goodluck ironing out the bugs, process of elimination begins.
MGOTD
Regular

Post by MGOTD »

not sure if the efi would be causing to much load and draining the battery.... i am still running the stock gemini alternator and it runs my efi setup fine plus all my sound system and electric front windows might need to start at the alternator and check that it is putting out charge and go from there.
booosty
Regular

Post by booosty »

put a multimeter across the battery terminals while the engine is running check the voltage is above 13.3 and not above 15v
then place the black probe onto the engine block (metal) and check you get the same voltage, then place the black probe onto the body and check its the same again,

if your alternator is charging fine,

check to see if anything is drawing power while the ign is switched off,

disconect the positive terminal of the battery
put your multimeter on amps (you will have to change probe location on the meter)
then place the red probe on the positive battery terminal and the black probe on the disconnected battery terminal contact, if you see any current draw then something is using battery while switched off,

could be a number of things

if both tests are fine then id suspect battery is faulty,
first place the multimeter accros the battery terminals while someone starts the car, if it drops below 10v then the battery is suspect
take to a battery shop and get it load tested and replace as necessary

cheers james
Hachikansai77
Regular

Post by Hachikansai77 »

Cracked it majorly after the wagon fiasco, so started selling off all the bits in my shitpile... I mean collection that I didn't need to make some coin. First to buy a new daily, then to pour into this thing to make it reliable.

Despite a few people being against the idea, I put the twincam setup up as an EOI and quickly had a buyer. Originally the lot was going to go for $2000, including the diesel crossmember and a bunch of little bits and pieces, but then he told me he had a motor of his own that I might be interested in...

Ended up doing a swap, with $600 in my pocket, for this:

G161Z with about 30,000km on it, twin DHLA 40s (was told they were 45s but quickly found otherwise) on a Lynx manifold. Basically a stock motor from what I can tell, maybe a mild cam. Will need to pull the box off and have a look at the clutch, as I'm not sticking with a standard obviously
I have a feeling this might be an early TX motor as well, just going off a few details like the early style exhaust, MSE gearbox and very old-school alternator (which I rather like :lol: ), there is a slim chance this could have an early closed chambered head too.

So, the basic plan is to get one of those 21 circuit wiring kits for hot-rods etc, rewire the shitbox so that it can actually hold charge and run everything properly, relocate everything, weld up the holes, fit some good front tires, and drop this thing in.
While I'm doing skids and getting proper seat time, I have the G180Z that came from the wagon, that has flat tops, double row chain etc, but needs a new timing case and gasket kit put through it. Then whack a good head and the Dellortos on and do better skids.

I've emailed K to the Mac and quoted up some adjustable swaybars and their camber/castor kit, so that's also in the very near future.

Lastly, now that I have my daily/towrig, and have just a few hours ago put down a deposit on a small single axle trailer, I will actually able to take this thing out without having to beg mates for their help, which is nice :roll:
TD Sedan "Derrick/Dez"

Hachikansai77
Regular

Re: 1975 TX Coupe "Zero" - Lowdown Styled Drift Gem

Post by Hachikansai77 »

Moving along steadily, made some serious acquisitions in the last couple of weeks. Ebay strikes again...

Ezywire 18 Circuit loom + Oil pressure, water temp, and volt gauges. Might also get myself a tach from the same guy as I like the style and the price is very reasonable.

Feddy 595 RSRs, 195/50/R15. Cost about $250+shipping but will be so worth it. Will actually have proper front end grip. Definitely want to get these fitted up to the other half of the steelies asap!

After talking with DrewZa86 a fair bit about the design, who has helped me come up with some very cool ideas, I have made a start on the cabin and engine bay to get them up to scratch before I tackling the rewire. Spent a couple of hours chipping away at all the old insulation, and over the course of the week I'll break out the wire wheel and buzz the whole lot back to prep it for chassis black and paint.
Thinking either straight black of olive green in keeping with the A6M theme.

A little bit of plating to do

Driver's side only has a few pin holes in the sill and up at the firewall.

Also finally got around to doing this:

The heater tunnel won't be needed, so I'll finish cutting it all out and hopefully take a donor piece from somewhere. Believe it or not I don't have a clean shell to take one from, apart from maybe the diesel, but I'm not ready to start ripping bits off it yet.

I've made a tentative goal of August 31st (Winter Matsuri), as the latter half of this year is full of good events, including at least two drift schools, Stadium drift round 3, and hopefully a few practice days. I won't rush though, as that will only leave me where I was back in January.
Budget wise things might get interesting though, as along with everything else I have recently found a lady-friend, and we all know how that combined with a race-car works out (though to her credit, she is enthusiastic and supportive, at least for now...)

Lastly, as mentioned earlier I have been bouncing a lot of ideas around, and one of them is something I've seen to a few Japanese drift cars from time to time. Sometimes you see something along the lines of a mural painted under the bonnet. I like these, and thought about what I'd like to have if I went through with it. After getting an idea in my head, I went searching on the internet and found this:

Absolutely perfect, right down to the pose!

Now, I realize that there aren't many on here who are big Anime fans, if any, but it's one of my hobbies outside of cars, and I like to find ways of melding my interests together when I can. I've seen this sort of thing done a few times with Anime girls in Japan, but none here in Aus. I've also seen small Chibi girls on local cars from time to time (think ISC's logo, or on the bonnet of Drift Cat's old Onevia), but like Ita-Sha isn't really the look I'm going for.
TD Sedan "Derrick/Dez"

Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

195/50/15 might scrub the back of your front gaurds if you are 8"ET00. mine did, i had to go with 45's

also, good luck with the loom :lol: nightmare!
"No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough."

Hachikansai77
Regular

Post by Hachikansai77 »

Yeah I remember you mentioned it earlier in the thread. It'll be fine though, I ran the same profile tires on the other pair of 8s when I took it out to Tailem and it had no scrubbage issues, just plowed due to s%*tty compound and had no castor at all. I haven't got the guards bolted down at the bottom of the A pillar, and have spaced them out from the body by a few mm to give me some clearance. Eventually I'll bolt them down properly with a lower spacer so they don't flap about. I'm not against taking a grinder to them if I need to anyway...

I'm looking forward to the wiring, even though I know it's a big job. It'll be worth it in the end being able to wire everything exactly how I want. Most likely going to do internally reg'd alternator, battery in the boot, along with the usual race car stuff; switchgear, push button start etc.

Cazz came over today with the sumpguard off his now-defunct track Gem, fitted a few rivnuts into the crossmember (I will be remembering these for in the future) and got it half done. I'll need the redo the front part though as earlies have different mounting points for the stone tray which this bolts to from the front.
TD Sedan "Derrick/Dez"