1975 TX Coupe "Zero" - Lowdown Styled Drift Gem

This Forum is here for each member to post pics of his/her Gemini’s. Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Re: 1975 TX Coupe "Zero" - Lowdown Styled Drift Gem

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

more caster will bring it even closer to that point of scrub that i was talkign about so just keep an eye on it ;)
"No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough."

Hachikansai77
Regular

Post by Hachikansai77 »

So going down the shortlist:

RS-Rs fitted
More rust cutting
Fuel tank removed (to work in the boot without s*#t catching fire)
Heavy gauge wire + misc bits purchased
Battery box (possibly?) purchased, may be too small so will go the next size up if so. What I have in mind is pretty cool though.
Clutch inspected, bolts replaced with high tensile cap screws (clutch is H/D, and flywheel has been lightened...)
Dummy fitted motor for wiring purposes, need to add a plate on driver's side mount as it's a bit tight against the booster/reservoir.
Pulled the RB dizzy setup off the spare G161Z to chuck in and wire up, will also be taking the internal reg alternator from that one.

Biggest milestone though, after owning a perfectly good working MIG for about 4 years, I finally got off my backside, set it up with some flux core and made my first weld! Was s*#t at first but will hopefully learn quickly and make some serious headway in the coming week or so. Using 1.2mm thick steel, and got some Stainless steel to do the overhead switch panel surround and a few other bits.
TD Sedan "Derrick/Dez"
TX Coupe "Zero": Longterm Zokusha/Drift Build.
TE Diesel Sedan: Turbo Sandpiper II Mockup (In Progress)
TE Sedan "Bella": Basic Battle Bitch
Hilux: Daily

TL;DR: STOP OFFERING ME GEMINIS!!!
Hachikansai77
Regular

Post by Hachikansai77 »

Some more acquisitions (don't worry I have actually been working towards finishing this thing!)

Front spoiler
TD headlights
Nardi Deep Corn (Instant Drift Cred!)
Piazza remote shifter, although probably not for this build. I also got myself a rodeo remote shifter for $50 recently, so depending on how things go I might play around with them.

As far as the actual car is progressing, I've been practicing my welding with varied success, seem to blow holes through the original metal, or not getting enough penetration with the new stuff, so will keep practicing and eventually get it right. I won't bother putting up pics, too embarrassing :P

Found my TX Gregories manual so have been studying the wiring diagram until my eyeballs bleed. Once I'm happy with the cabin/firewall situation I will start running the loom and fusebox.

Also, just to distract me that little bit more, I've been playing with a motor I eventually want to upgrade to if the 1600 doesn't have quite enough power. It's that G180Z from the wagon that ran hot and lunched a head gasket. I started stripping it down and inspected it proper this week, and have found quite a few good things about it. The bores should only need a quick deglaze, so I'm going to do a basic re-ring and budget rebuild (it's running oversized G200Z pistons so boring it would do much good anyway).

While I was there I had a good look at the head, as it had a twin row adjustable timing chain and, oddly, a decomp shim plate. I've since learned the reason for this was that the head has been massively overshaved.
After finding this out, I scored some brand new H/D valve springs for a later project. When I compared them to the head I removed, I found it already has a set of it's own. An idea formed in my mind, then earlier last week I bought a valve spring compressor, went through a couple of heads I had sitting around doing nothing, and started cannibalizing them...

In the end, I found three heads that I can combine to make a pretty nice little setup.

Head #1 - Good condition bigport I picked up recently. Minimal corrosion and machining/facing, but stock valves, springs and ports
Head #2 - The aforementioned overshaved head. Smallport with some corrosion, stock valves, mild porting and the H/D springs
Head #3 - Scrap smallport head with severe corrosion, blown out no.4 chamber, major porting work, and steel valves. 43mm inlets, 36mm exhaust.

So the good bigport, cleaned up with new valve seats cut, the larger steel valves, and H/D springs, along with a port job I'm going to try myself, should yield something pretty special which will cost pretty much nothing, apart from $100 or so from the machine shop. Then fitting this to the oversized G180Z, with it's 87.5mm flat top pistons, should bump the compression up a fair whack. Add this together with a nice cam, the sidedraughts plus a decent exhaust, and the end result should get at least 100rwkw for a total build cost of maybe $500 max, since I have pretty much everything already here. Not too shabby.

So, I'll chip away at that when I'm bored or can't use power tools/welder at night :lol:
TD Sedan "Derrick/Dez"

GEMWRC
Long Term Member

Post by GEMWRC »

Spoiler is cool . Gimme that
Hachikansai77
Regular

Post by Hachikansai77 »

Doesn't fkn fit :P

Lol, the valance panel on this thing is majorly warped, so I think I'll hold off on fitting it until later down the track. Got pretty lucky to get it in (nearly) the same colour!
TD Sedan "Derrick/Dez"

GEMWRC
Long Term Member

Post by GEMWRC »

Dam... I like it . Whats it made of this lip ? .
Hachikansai77
Regular

Post by Hachikansai77 »

Fibreglass, I have two now. One for the TD streeter, one for this thing.

I was pretty adamant that I was either going to run a simpler arrangement, or go something like a golf front spoiler. However, I'm trying my best not to copy Zep's beast though, so this lip with bolt on flares and something special to go on the rusty bootlid will be pretty cool. Think bobtail with a twist ;)

Oh also, I discussed, ordered and paid for some custom decals for this thing. Rear banner for the back screen, as well as some smaller ones. Will post pics when they arrive, pretty bloody excited.
TD Sedan "Derrick/Dez"

Hachikansai77
Regular

Post by Hachikansai77 »

Been quite busy the last few months. Those close to me or friends on FB would know that I recently started renting a very big shed around the corner from my work, and moved Zero in with a couple of others and the trailer. It's taken a few weeks to get power and a workbench sorted out, but now I'm steadily chipping away at things again.

Started seriously attempting to fix the rust in the firewall, and so far the steepest learning curve I've experience is not to weld galvanized steel :lol:
In my defense, I am a total noob and completely self taught at this point, aside from reading and some second hand advice I got from online friends here and there. I'm improving quickly though, and am happy to finally be able to do all those little jobs I would otherwise have been scared or unable to attempt.

The last two nights have been the most productive. Aside from the firewall, I started on the rear tip for the exhaust, deleted the battery tray and mounted the custom rad overflow setup in it's place, modified a few things with the aesthetics of the front end, started redesigning my seat mounts, began work on the switchgear panel, and pulled the steering rack back out to be swapped over for another unit (as I have suspicions my lack of castor may be from the rack instead of the upper arms).

No pics of the work this time around, but here are some just before the move happened, when I got my custom decals from Joel @ Burubado Design.

Translates to "Cardboard Bandit"... it's a long story...

Replica Sakura squadron insignias from the MXY-7 "Baka" bomber of WWII. Keeping with the IJN/Zero Fighter theme

Slight plug in Elky's direction... :P

TD Sedan "Derrick/Dez"