Another distraction. TE SEDAN

This Forum is here for each member to post pics of his/her Gemini’s. Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
F3ARED

Another distraction. TE SEDAN

Post by F3ARED »

So, I did what everyone that has no time and/or too many projects at once would do, and inadvertently picked up another project. This time thankfully, it isn’t me paying the bills – its for the mrs.

A while ago I screwed together a VS Commodore for her. After spending a bit of time replacing every gasket, the whole cooling system, control arms, ball joints etc it was on the road. Then the headgaskets went. So I put a supercharged V6 in there, which continually kept dumping its coolant every time it shut off. Then the auto went. Then the power windows failed. Then the seat went into autofullysick mode [it reclines by itself]. Then the exhaust fell off. Then the front brakes caught fire. Replaced them with new ones, then they caught fire again. Then the radiator broke. This went on for a while, continually testing my patience. What began as minor a nuisance would become a major annoyance – like the imobilizor and ignition barrel failing in my driving, blocking my car in the garage. Then the final straw – it snapped the panhard rod mount clean off the body, leaving the control arms, shocks and tail shaft to located the diff – a job they don’t do very well. Thankfully it happened turning into my street at 20kmh, not on her way to work where the roads are much bumpier and the speeds are much higher.

A discussion was held and it was decided the piece of s*#t would have to go, as I was sick of having to constantly patch s*#t up on it only for something else to fail - by this time the roof lining and all the plastic trims around the back window had fallen down, making it the perfect commodore if you lived in Frankston - the only thing missing a southern cross sticker and a baby seat. Many different options were promptly ruled out; an MPS3/6 because finance was not desireable, a VX SS because all problems that afflicted the VS would at some point rear there heads in this one, an MX5 because the woman thinks its too girly. And so on and so forth.

The criteria was pretty simple – it must be cheap, it must be manual, and it must be able to be modified to make it quicker cheaply. All in @ under 10k. This ruled out the only other viable option [an E30] as the 4cylinders are s*#t/don’t go/waste of time for engine mods, and the 6cylinders are worth too much and are too expensive to modify. Which left one car.

A Gemini.

After a few months of looking at random bogged up shitboxes, and other decent but too expensive ones, the first one to follow us home was this Contessa Gold TG SL\X. No rust [seriously], ALL the late-run SL\X s*#t like retractable rear belts, full tacho dash, parcel shelf under dash, remote mirrors etc. Unfortunately, its also been crashed at some point and not fixed all that well. And some twit forgot to turn on their dodgily wired thermo fan and proceeded to blow the head gasket. “Yeah it still runs bro.” No it doesn’t you dick, you left it with water in the cylinders for 4months. Locked solid. It was then decided that I would keep the shell for myself [another long story], would donate s*#t like locker, 5spd, alloy rad, engine for rebuild etc for eventual car.

Currently sitting at the gf’s grandparents house, with a tree growing over it, flat stockies, grass past the sills, birdshit, bat s*#t, spiders etc etc. Until I can be f*#cked going to get it.

Then came the blue TE sedan.

This one was a bit of an impulse buy. Some rust in the boot floor and the drivers side floor pan, few pin holes here and there, some bumps and bruises – your typical Gemini. Not bad, but not great – an honest, not really f*#cked with car that didn’t really have any bodge spots. Except where the previous drop kick that owned it put masking tape and sprayed sound deadener over the top. The intention was to give it a close door respray once all the rust was fixed however that f*#cking white curse continued to drop bits and pieces everywhere it went, so this was ruled too time intensive and was sold on [and has now appeared on here]. Needed something closer to ready.

And then we stumbled upon the white TE. Cost us more than the other two, it didn’t run, hadn’t been reg’d for a year, had a blown trans and had a minor id crisis that was the cause of the mother of all headaches [more on that later]. What it did have was absolutely NO rust anywhere, a pretty f*#cking straight body and a pristine interior.

K’s on the clock are legit, has books, two owner car from new – Original owner had it until she passed away. Next owner drove it around for a bit, pulled it apart to change the welsh plugs and promptly left it.

More later when I can be f*#cked uploading pictures.
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Re: Another distraction. TE SEDAN

Post by Jonno »

Nice!!!

I think I saw this at that slidey thing?

No one would know cause I'm an idiot and didn't send the pics last night.
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

First step was to work out if the thing was capable of running or not. Whacked the carby back on, threw the dizzy in and timed it by eye, and cranked it over. Caught on the second turn, then spluttered, then coughed and died – kind of expected that as I didn’t connect the fuel lines, but signs were good. No knocks, no noises, no rattles. Time to rip the stupid thing out and give it a once over, including relieving it of the slushbox attached to it.

Thought about painted the engine bay while the motor was out but ailing Commodore/lack of time, plus the fact it is going to have to come out in a few months time anyway means zero f&*ks were given for the time being. Will attend to it when the new motor is ready to go in.

With the engine on the stand it was time to go through it. Changed all the welsh plugs as they were well past it and were why the thing came off the road in the first place. Even if the previous owner would have gotten it running again, it wouldn’t have solved the problem as the worst plugs were the two at the rear – the hard to reach one on the back of the head, and the one behind the bellhousing. Also replaced water pump, front and rear mains, all inlet gaskets, rocker gasket, sump gasket – everything except the head gasket and valve stems, and boy would that bite me in the arse later.

It was now running and driving. And weeping oil/coolant out the rear of the headgasket. And the valve stems were a bit sad because it puffs a bit of smoke here and there. f*#k it, its coming out soon anyway. Drives nice enough and quiet enough, besides having a monsterous 2rwkw and being glacially slow. Off to roadworthy it went where it failed on a few minor issues, one of which being the control arm bushes. Anyone that’s done these knows you’ve got f*#cking buckleys chance of getting the standard spring in – it CAN be done, but why you would want to is a different story.

Just a little bit of a difference.

They went in with new nolathane bushes, new ball joints, tie rod ends, Gabriel shocks etc. Yes I know it looks like Ronald McDonald did the colour co-ordination but who gives a f*#k, its only going to get dirty pretty much instantly. Matching rear springs and brand spanker genuine GM/AC Delco Camira shocks went into the rear.

While I was doing this, the mrs had been shopping.

Which meant at the first opportunity, these had to go on for a squiz.

What you cant see in those photos is how bent/dented the bumper was, along with the front apron. Or how much of a pain in the arse they were to belt straight. Or how big the f*#cking hammer I had to use was. So, it was finally ready for rego, and with 3weeks left till deadline too. After some massive headaches with vicroads we finally had rego, with one week left before we were supposed to drive the car to Canberra. And then the carby s*#t itself three days before we were due to leave, and the weber ive got is not going to work....
Jonno wrote:I think I saw this at that slidey thing?
Your on drugs, you saw no such thing.
Jonno wrote:No one would know cause I'm an idiot and didn't send the pics last night.
Why am i not suprised :lol:

81 TE Gemini Sedan
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

After f*#cking around with the weber off the brown car, got the car started but the f*#cking thing would cough and splutter and flood. Wasted hours f*#cking around and couldn’t work out why or how a brand new carb was causing issues. Until I realized it was set up for a mechanical fuel pump…and as a result didn’t have a fuel return. With no time to sort that out it was back to plan b and modifying the standard carb. Stripped the chokes out, removed the vac secondaries and wired them mechanically. Car now worked – just. Cue more hours of f*#cking with idle and mixture screws, and doing the timing by ear as best as I could and got it running to a semi acceptable state – it was happy over 3k, not so happy under it. Dumped the car at Joe and Steves the next day, and after a bit of fiddling we were now ready to go to go. This was literally Thursday night….a few hours before we were due to leave. Big risk taking a car that you haven’t driven longer then half an hour in any one stint interstate, but f*#k it, it’s a G series, it will do it.

And it did.

Why the f*#k would we want to go Canberra? Well, some c*#t organized a skid pan day and asked me if I wanted to come, then lol’d at me not having a car. So I figured two birds with one stone – teach the mrs how to drive her car, and get to skid.

Nice and clean, waiting for its turn…

We spent a bit of time facing the wrong way…

…but the apprentice got the hang of it pretty quickly and linked a few bends

Wouldve been pretty boring if I didn’t get a go.

At some point it lost a bolt out of the top drivers side ball joint, making it a bit sketchy on the limit but other then that, it was fine. Stole a bolt of some top blokes red piece of s*#t and after a day of valve bouncing at 5500rpm, it drove back to Vic like nothing had ever happened, averaging 8L/100 to boot.

Another reason for a deadline was to drive it to my cousins wedding

Big plans ahead, may put up later if work continues to be quiet.

81 TE Gemini Sedan
DrewZa86
Regular

Post by DrewZa86 »

Hey man looks like you and the missus had some fun lol those bbs's suit the t/e as well. great work.
danman wrote:Seriously! A field of rape...
Jonno wrote:No gemini is a good investment
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

insert - I am a retart

Quality Photos towards the end there! :P
75 TX Coupe
ajs991
Long Term Member

Post by ajs991 »

At some point it lost a bolt out of the top drivers side ball joint, making it a bit sketchy on the limit but other then that, it was fine. Stole a bolt of some top blokes red piece of s*#t
Yes he did. Got it covered perfectly.
List of people I hate: You.
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

Yeah drew its good fun any time you can belt the crap out of the car without getting arrested for it :lol: Mrs loved it, and wants to go again.

What he said. Top bloke, not sure about the car. Is it red? Is it purple? Does it even exist? I dont know any more.

Some more, because i like photos of geminis going sideways. All photos courtesy of mr jonothan

Rooster tails n s*#t

Full noise n s*#t.

Hanging on

81 TE Gemini Sedan
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

Plans going forward.

Interior will be pretty much left alone as I have never seen a Gem interior this good. AM radio will stay, door trims will not be cut for speakers. Going to run a hidden radio with wired remote ala-Fusion style, front speakers either in kick panels or under dash, and rears under bulky ugly 70s style grilles if i can find em. Apart from that, TE Tacho dash [already got this] and a Nardi style wheel and that will do it. Nothing not-reversable.

Body will be resprayed in the standard Alabaster White. Fortunate it is quite straight and there is no rust in the car so it shouldnt be too bad. There will be a few minor changes, but will keep them under my flat-brim wanker hat until they are done.

Engine - EFI Turbo G series. May possibly be buying the hotside later tonight. Again, more details later. When i can be f*#cked.

81 TE Gemini Sedan
The One And Only KJ
n00b

Post by The One And Only KJ »

I was scrolling through this thread not really paying much attention and then found the picture third from the top and thought, "s*#t, thats my car!"

New toy looks good mate, good stuff getting it up and on the road so quickly!
Need room to put more Gemini parts, help a brother out!!!

viewtopic.php?t=46203
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

Sooo, long time no updates - not because nothings been done, just because ive been too lazy to take proper photos and post it.

After doing the Canberra trip and my cousins wedding, the mrs continued to use the old girl as a daily. Winter was a bit trying with no choke but she managed to live with it. Ended up installing a compact radio in the glovebox, with a wired remote in the centre console. Worked mint [ignore temporary wiring and speakers].

Sadly at this point, engine was really starting to get tired. Would consume 4L of oil in under 1000km, rattled like a tin can of marbles was dragging behind it. It was basically f*#cked, still went fine though. Was smoking HEAVILY [as you’d expect chewing so much oil so quickly] which resulted in the EPA sending us a nice warning letter after some tree hugger reported the car for being smokey. So the solution was to drive around without oil [im not joking – see pic] which it did for about 2months before it really started to give up the ghost. Running late to work one day Tash was pretty heavy on it, loose oil container in the boot knocked the fuel pump wire and cut the power – car leaned out at the top of 3rd gear. Strangely, it STILL didn’t die. Plugged the wire back in and it ran, but at this point, it barely drove so that was that. Wasn’t a huge surprise so we were somewhat prepared.

Take one “running” 161. Running my arse – I reckon this would’ve chewed even more oil than what came out of the white car

On the plus side it was a virgin bore block, and it now gives me a spare virgin crank as well. None of which mattered f*#k all because we bored the block to take 84mm G180z pistons.

Misc engine build pics

Completed

Parts we’ve been collecting

Specs are as follows:
G161z Block/Crank/Rods
Federal Mogul cast G180z Pistons and rings
Approx 9:1 CR
Reground cam to suit
“Big valve” [42mm inlet] head, full reco
HD Valve springs
APS SR30 Turbo – 400hp
Piazza log manifold with IHI 3bolt flange welded on
GTR 444cc injectors
EMS 8860 ECU
1x LS1 coil

Nothing fancy/over the top, everythings been done on a budget using second hand bits and pieces. The plan was to see around 170rwkw on 16psi relatively safely, reliability is pretty important on this one as its her daily however now that she has a back up car [VQ Caprice 5L] I might have it leant on a bit harder to see if we cant crack 180rwkw.

While the engine is out we [I say we, what I really mean is SHE] decided the car should be sprayed, and although it was relatively straight and has no rust, its taking forever due to work, house renos and other commitments. Body work has started, literally have the two LH doors and rear quarter left to finish before I can highfill the whole car.

Lots of little lows and high spots

Had to enlarge one of the round holes slightly to mount the cooler – no big deal. Fits behind the grille nicely

Thats it for now.

81 TE Gemini Sedan
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

Excellent
75 TX Coupe
Holden202T
Regular

Post by Holden202T »

nothing like a smokey motor as a good excuse for a rebuild/upgrade :)

eagerly await more pics!
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower!!
TFHOON
Chatterbox

Post by TFHOON »

Hey man you just gona spray it white again. Do you still have that light gold td sedan that's in the background of the garage photos , if you do got any updates for us.

Seeing as you've been busy with house renos can you update you house reno thread , I've been watching those shows on tv lately so would be good to see what you've done.
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

Will always have the gold TD mate, it'll never leave my ownership - not in one piece anyway.

Yep the TE will remain white, being sprayed in 2pack Solid [no clear]. Will have a CDT bob tail and a few other bits thrown on

81 TE Gemini Sedan