My Turbo 202 TG Gemini Race Car - Now Nitrous 202

This Forum is here for each member to post pics of his/her Gemini’s. Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
Holden202T
Regular

My Turbo 202 TG Gemini Race Car - Now Nitrous 202

Post by Holden202T »

Well i only just realised i've been lurking on these forums since 2008 and i haven't put up a post about my gemini!! (yes i know very slack)

so anyways no time like the present!

The car is a TG Gemini Sedan with a holden straight 6 and trimatic fitted to it and in recent times a turbo has been added to it and this was originally a purpose built drag car, but i have also as some of you might know been in other events including a hillclimb just recently :)

onto the build.
gemini%20wsid%20002-cropped-shrunk.jpg
gemini%20wsid%20002-cropped-shrunk.jpg (232.54 KiB) Viewed 16178 times
so the diff has been modified heavily, cut the centre out of the gemini diff and welded a commodore borg warner in there, added a 31 spline full spool and moser axles to suit the length needed. currently running a 3.08 diff ratio, and the rear brakes are standard vn commodore rear discs and calipers.
P1020888.jpg
P1020888.jpg (81.21 KiB) Viewed 16178 times
i've also added commodore upper control arms and braced the floor and rear seat area for this.
P1020883.jpg
P1020883.jpg (178.02 KiB) Viewed 16178 times
i've also made a half cage for it which ties in the rear upper seat support and the harness attachs to it also, as you can see the interior is pretty basic only whats needed :)

front brakes are vt commodore twin spot calipers and there is also a XA XB ? master cylinder in it to cope with the extra oil needed for the larger brakes.

So originally i had a naturally aspirated 202 on methanol EFI and it made 200hp at the wheels like that and i managed a best of 12.78 over the 1/4 mile, and i had planned to put an LS1 in place of the 202 but it really was just going to be a mission and cost a lot to get it to go much better, so i decided on an original thought of a turbo 202 and here we are :)

its still methanol fed and currently runs 16psi boost.

the fuel system in the boot is basically a low pressure lift pump feeding the surge tank then a bosch 044 efi pump and fuel cell to top it all off.

i have a rising rate regulator that i plan to fit shortly after the hill climb showed the new motor is running out of fuel in the high rpms with injector duty cycle getting to 100% but i should be able to get a bit more capacity from the 80lb injectors with increased pressure under boost! (keep in mind you use 2.3 times more methanol than you do for petrol)

the motor is backed by a rebuilt V8 trimatic that so far is working fine after having some minor teething issues with it when i first put boost into it!

to date with the first turbo motor i was able to get an 11.76 @ 118mph over the 1/4 mile and subsequently blew the head gasket on this run just before the finish line, so i have rebuilt the motor to the one pictured above with a more boost suitable cam and hoping to edge ever closer to a 10 second pass!

The efi is controlled by a Delco 808 computer (vn commodore etc) and it works fine for the most part, but when you hit the rev limiter in it, it actually cuts fuel and I wasn't really keen on this for boost as it would surely end in tears, so I have since added an ignition module made by VL400 from delcohacking.net and it interfaces with the delco to control spark via the computer still but also allows me to trigger the ignition module with this 36 - 1 trigger wheel and holden commodore abs sensor.

having this on the system has also given me the ability to run an LSx coil, and currently the motor is running on 1 x LS2 coil and plans are shortly to add the other 5 coils (when time and money permits) and then I will be able to remove the distributor all together!!

this also has the advantage of having a 2 step rev limiter in it and it cuts spark for the rev limiter instead of fuel so should keep things nice and safe I hope!

I dynoed the original boosted motor to test this ignition was all working properly and I had a fouled plug and was running on 5 cylinders and still made 289hp at the wheels, so hoping with 6 cylinders working and the new motor should be getting a lot closer to 400 at the treads!

i'm sure theres a lot more I have forgotten but I hope you guys enjoy it, I know I sure do :lol:
Last edited by Holden202T on Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
geminiv6turboute
Long Term Member

Post by geminiv6turboute »

Pic's of the beast??
arrow
The Grand Master

Post by arrow »

good work looking forward to the pic's. Do you a fuel pressure gauge on it. with one 044 fuel pump you may be out of fuel under full noise.
firebug
Regular

Post by firebug »

I cant see the pics... :(
"Can't stop addicted to the shindig!..."
ajs991
Long Term Member

Post by ajs991 »

Pics working fine here. Was great to see it at the hillclimb.
Holden202T
Regular

Post by Holden202T »

i had some issues overnight with internet performance, it should load the pictures ok now ?

as for the fuel system, i have a pressure gauge on the rail and also a sensor to log it in the data stream of the ECM and its not showing any dip in the fuel pressure as the engine leans out, that and the logs are showing 100% duty cycle on the injectors at the same point.

but i do want to get a second 044 to make sure i have plenty of capacity in the long term.
firebug
Regular

Post by firebug »

202Gem wrote:i had some issues overnight with internet performance, it should load the pictures ok now ?
"Can't stop addicted to the shindig!..."
Encyclopedia Ronnie
Long Term Member

Post by Encyclopedia Ronnie »

i dont know if i like or dislike the diff setup
Yes, i do still own my coupe, Yes it is still registered and running and ATM driven daily.

oh and NO its not painted yet
antus
Regular

Post by antus »

This is from the hill climb at the nats:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=psmyjhMw3Lk
G200W TX Coupe with Delco EFI
SR20DET TX Track car.

http://www.pcmhacking.net/forums/
Holden202T
Regular

Post by Holden202T »

Encyclopedia Ronnie wrote:i dont know if i like or dislike the diff setup
why is that ?
tobytj
Long Term Member

Post by tobytj »

Noted your comment above about getting rid of the dissy altogether. My memory of the holden six is that the dissy drives the oil pump - or is that jus tthe grey motors?
Holden202T
Regular

Post by Holden202T »

can't answer that about the grey motor but i can tell you that on a red/blue/black 6 the oil pump and the dizzy are both driven off a gear halfway down the camshaft, but they are independant of each other!

the oil pump goes in below the camshaft (horizontally) and the dizzy goes in almost vertically on the side above the oil pump.
Encyclopedia Ronnie
Long Term Member

Post by Encyclopedia Ronnie »

202Gem wrote:
Encyclopedia Ronnie wrote:i dont know if i like or dislike the diff setup
why is that ?

its the upper arms mounting im unsure of, the idea i sorts like the execution maybe not well thats where im thinking
Yes, i do still own my coupe, Yes it is still registered and running and ATM driven daily.

oh and NO its not painted yet
Holden202T
Regular

Post by Holden202T »

also heres some more you tube action, this is the last run i had at the drags when i did the 11.76 1/4 mile run and blew the head gasket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI56gFobMAo
DaveHAT

Post by DaveHAT »

Love it ... viva la difference!

Top mount intercooler possible?