Danman's TE sedan, Diesel 1.8L - Petrol 2L EFI Turbo

This Forum is here for each member to post pics of his/her Gemini’s. Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Re: Danman's TE sedan, Diesel 1.8L - Petrol 2L EFI Turbo

Post by Jonno »

Quality pics there :D

Give it a wash a bring it out tonight will do a few.
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw
Danman
Danmother

Post by Danman »

Yeah! :D
12189973_10153738873917220_8903283850044388453_n.jpg
12189973_10153738873917220_8903283850044388453_n.jpg (34.47 KiB) Viewed 7661 times
Danman
Danmother

Post by Danman »

This is what was broken on the geminats cruise
12809687_10156629343375401_8319787337209277091_n.jpg
12809687_10156629343375401_8319787337209277091_n.jpg (200.84 KiB) Viewed 7659 times
This got the gem luv flowing. I took the rubber boot off and the rest was fixed by everyone around me!

This is another slight mishap that happened in December 2014
IMG_0318s.jpg
IMG_0318s.jpg (241.77 KiB) Viewed 7659 times
Checking the car in Sydney on a trip from Melbourne to Sydney to Canberra or something. I was ready to close the bonnet, Heather said "is that supposed to be there?" I hadn't spotted the air filter nestled comfortably on the intercooler piping.
Occy straps and cable ties to the rescue!
Danman
Danmother

Post by Danman »

The car has been off the road for a while with the latest round of upgrades.
Before coming off the road the car was breathing a fair bit of oily smoke, I figured the rings were probably tired. I had routed the oil breather with filter over to near the air filter in an attempt to suck the oily air back in a bit. This placed the breather over the lower radiator hose. It had so much "blowby" that the breather was dripping oil onto the radiator hose. I found out after the lower radiator hose broke that water pipes don't like oil being dripped on them.
Broke down on the side of the road with a wife and small baby I was glad I had helpful friends to shuttle me home to collect parts and the Yaris. Then the wife could take the baby home while my mates gave me moral support while I put the new lower radiator hose on, filled the car with water and drove it home.
Figured it would have damaged something I decided it was time to pull the engine apart and refresh it. Pistons 1, 2 and 3 were ok, cylinder 4's ring landings fell off in my hands. The head is also cracked. The inlet plenum was also cracked and probably had been like that for years.

Decided to do lots of upgrades.

Bought a new G200 with gearbox, was hoping for a fairly standard engine but it has a double row chain and a 1.6L head and flywheel. Came from a running car so fingers crossed!
New clutch, found the new gearbox had a much longer clutch pivot ball thing, which explained all the clutch issues I have had! Ended up needing to use the old gearbox as my custom tailshaft spline did not suit the new gearbox, so swapped the pivot setup over.

Upgraded brakes. JB1466 Isuzu truck master cylinder 1inch bore, bolts straight to diesel brake booster. VT commodore front brakes (keeping 4x100 stud pattern). Piazza rear disks, bit of added fiddling but *almost* bolt straight onto diesel diff. Wilwood adjustable brake bias controller replacing standard diesel gemini bias module. That's all together and bled up nicely now.

Decided I wanted a bigger exhaust from the end of the dump pipe back, asked the place that built the old exhaust, they try not to do custom stuff any more. Basically they buy commodore upgrade exhausts (probably from China) and bolt those exhausts onto commodores... If they did mine it would be at a minimum $1200. Thanks! I'll build it myself! It was so much fun! Ebay 2.5inch mild steel mandrel bent exhaust all made by me! One hotdog muffler before the diff, will see if I need a muffler at the back depending on volume (initial testing suggests I might need the added muffler)
After welding the exhaust went so well I decided to fix the cracked plenum. fingers crossed again! The base plate is much thinner metal than the side walls so I probably should ditch it and build a whole new one. Still, cutting it up and welding it back together was fun!

Bought some fancy SPAX shocks from the UK, loads of adjustment, total overkill/wank factor.

The big one; a new computer! Ecumaster emu classic. Super fancy, great software, great facebook support group! Even has bluetooth so that I can use any android device as gauges!
Rewiring everything was fun, I tried to make it as neat as possible, it's not bad! Got rid of loads of excess diesel wiring that I'd been carrying around for years. Three magic diesel electronics boxes and miles of wires.

Upgraded to four LS1 coils, built a mount for them to sit on the rocker cover, it went so well am considering making more for selling. A sonic injection 36-1 toothed wheel on the crank, running wasted spark.

Have had it running, so I know it all works. Now back to tidying up everything and putting the car back together, hopefully back on the road soon!

Can't wait! It is killing me not driving it for so long, once back on the road we will be racking up the miles! I need to crack 400,000! I believe it is at 384,000 or something at the moment.
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

Good update. I remember the break down on the side of the road.
Lol show them your 'catch can'.

Should be good to cruise again soon. I've even started fixing my sedan again.
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw
Danman
Danmother

Post by Danman »

Trying to use it as a daily again, but it's leaking too many fluids. Oil from several places, water from front of head where it meets the block. Rego is almost up, so the engine is coming back out and I'll throw more gaskets and sealant at it. Throwing the unknown engine in it was a great idea, especially when I noticed all the old silicone sealant around the timing case.
Anyway making a good list of bits and pieces all over the car to fix while the engine is out.
Getting a few heat issues, not sure if it was this bad before, maybe I need a new cheap chinese turbo and/or ceramic coating the engine bay exhaust bits.
Split an intercooler pipe, might need to try and re-route the piping to get the silicone pipe further away from the exhaust manifold, bit tricky because of the battery location. Might have to relocate it or go for an even smaller lithium option ;)

Trying to look at positives, the brakes are amazing! It stops better than any car I've ever driven.
My own home made exhaust sounds great. And has (so far) survived pumping out some sweet flames with the launch control function :D
New cooling setup seems to work well (ignoring minor coolant leak). New smaller alloy radiator, davies craig electric water pump, stupidly powerful thermo fan, "Danzka" vodka bottle overflow bottle
New fancy gauges look good (saas trax oil press/water temp and volts/boost)

398,300 odd K's

Here is an updated engine bay photo:
gem engine bayS.jpg
gem engine bayS.jpg (234.24 KiB) Viewed 4644 times