Fashion Packed!

This Forum is here for each member to post pics of his/her Gemini’s. Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
redzone (coxy)
Long Term Member

Fashion Packed!

Post by redzone (coxy) »

BUILD THREAD TIME! :mrgreen:

Ok about a year ago my other half Claire sold her Mitsubishi Starion to buy a painted TF wagon from Lok, unfortunately Lok has been delayed with the jobs prior to doing the wagon for us so we needed to find a car for Claire to tool around in until the wagon was ready! She quite liked the size of a Gemini sedan and it would be more practical than a Starion for carrying her Circus gear around, she does all sorts of stuff and makes/sews her own costumes etc which would come in handy for what we got!

At the time we were looking, Elky just happened to find a local TC sedan equipped with the Fashion Pack option featuring the lairy blue and green tartan interior trim and "sports wheel covers". This little car was fairly complete and had very faded but unripped tartan, had minor rust in a few spots but had a near whole boot floor and interior floor pans, no rust around the windows etc, few dings here and there on the mostly original Cotillion White paint etc but a nice coating of what they call "patina" these days.

So off to my mate Craig at CC Customs to get the rust cut out and the Kenworth Cabover Aerodyne imitation bonnet fixed up (old mate previous owner had hit something dead centre of the bonnet giving the car the appearance of a Persian Cat). While the car was there we pulled the interior and Claire went to work, following knowledge from Darren "Mr Gypsy" ONeill we discovered that you could simply flip the tartan upside down and BOOM unfaded fresh colour! This car had some NASTY stains in the fabric from what we are praying was just sweat and maybe a few spilled Macca's cokes. Claire stitched the edge of the fabric after unpicking it and put the lot in the washing machine for a few turns. It came out good as new. There is only one small difference between the two sides of the tartan but you can't pick it unless you look real hard. All the black vinyl was replaced with the correct repro gmh long grain except for the heat pressed rear centre section which was luckily in great condition.

Unfortunately while Elky had it he sold the original tartan door trims off the car to a person in WA who refused to sell them back to us, so we had to find some new tartan to make the door trims, which are as yet undone, just running vinyl sprayed ones at the moment. Door trims will be done soon when we get Claire another sewing machine as hers broke down.

So we got the car back from Craig and went to work on the mechanical side of things fitting a few suspension and steering components etc and an engine pulled from a parts wagon we bought as the engine from Claire's car had a broken timing chain tensioner. I fitted a reco TX head cam and cam gear to the engine along with a set of pacemaker 4-2-1's and 2 inch exhaust courtesy of a van Elky wrecked. Claire gave the car 3 coats of Bowden's own wax to protect the "patina" aka surface rust. We did a bit of research and Ankor wax turns the paint a tad brown, clear coating just makes the rust worse and really looks quite crap. Waxing it with carnauba every 6 months or so is the best way to preserve em. Got it on the road in February 2015!

To Be Continued...
Last edited by redzone (coxy) on Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
GARAGE REDZONE sunshine coast ph 07 54433507

1975 TX coupe 4ZD1 efi turbo 10.787 @ 123/128
1977 TC Fashion Pack sedan draw through turbo
1984 TG PF60E dohc Group A racecar
1984 TG Panelvan
2006 Crewman SS 6.0
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Re: Fashion Packed!

Post by Jonno »

Pics are lacking.

This thread makes me sad.
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw
redzone (coxy)
Long Term Member

Post by redzone (coxy) »

Photobucket is giving me the s*)ts, thread will be updated with pics after photobucket returns from the naughty corner and has had a good think about what it's done.

1984 TG Panelvan
2006 Crewman SS 6.0
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

I must get those wheels for you at some point to. I always forget..
75 TX Coupe
redzone (coxy)
Long Term Member

Post by redzone (coxy) »

OOOOOOH so do I lol! Any chance you could get them before nationala and give them to Lachy or Andrew to bring up here??

PS thread OP updated with pics :)

1984 TG Panelvan
2006 Crewman SS 6.0
redzone (coxy)
Long Term Member

Post by redzone (coxy) »

So what are the plans from here you ask? Well here is a pic of a pic of my old yellow SLE coupe that will give you an idea ;)

I managed to buy back my old Rajay draw through turbo setup from the car some years ago but the turbo needed to be rebuilt as it was getting smoky when idling for prolonged periods. In the process of trying to find rebuild parts for the 302B turbo I stumbled upon a guy in the states advertising a complete new old stock Rajay 302B turbo! After joingin a forum just to pm the guy on the off chance he still had it (his post was 3 years old) luckily he emailed me back and I managed to purchase the turbo from him. I also was lucky enough to find a genuine Rymec (the company that made kits for Rajay turbos here in australia in the 70's) exhaust manifold to suit Gemini and my exact turbo. And a "CDT" turbo intake manifold..

Basically the plan is to build it up similar to the old setup but improved in a couple of areas (the old exhaust manifold was a Piazza type with an adapter, not the best at all), run water methanol injection on it this time around and pump an extra 5 psi into a 1600, I am aiming for 12 second quarters with no technology on the car newer than 1980 lol. And still looking like a refugee from the bowls club with the stock hubcaps on widened steel rims!

1984 TG Panelvan
2006 Crewman SS 6.0
Holden202T
Regular

Post by Holden202T »

boost is good :)
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower!!
archangel62
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

Nice! It's coming along great. Love the fashion pack stuff.
Make sure those 6x9s are bolted down properly. The last thing you want is them flying forward at 60km/h in a crash. [/optimism]
My Gemini drift videos: http://www.youtube.com/PandamoniumDrift
Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PandamoniumDrift
Current tally: 5 Geminis and a Piazza
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

I approve

Get in contact with old mate and we will grab them before nationals.
Normally I'd say stop being a shitcunt and come to nationals yourself but the fashion pack interior has almost made that excusable.
Not Eli.
He's on my unpopular list.
75 TX Coupe
redzone (coxy)
Long Term Member

Post by redzone (coxy) »

archangel62 wrote:Nice! It's coming along great. Love the fashion pack stuff.
Make sure those 6x9s are bolted down properly. The last thing you want is them flying forward at 60km/h in a crash. [/optimism]
Yeah they lasted about a month like that but they spent most of that time sitting on the back seat for that very reason! Elky had a car come in with a half decent parcel shelf to suit 6's so we jigsawed the holes out and mounted the fully sik by nines in the shelf, the magnets were just the right size to sit without cutting the shelf.

And cheers Jonno, i'll send him a message. That would be awesome if you could do that. Nationals would be cool but easter is always busy as for us i'm afraid.

1984 TG Panelvan
2006 Crewman SS 6.0