My SkiBoat resto project. *last update 17-2-09*

This Forum is here for each member to post pics of his/her other non Gemini related cars. Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
SHEEL

My SkiBoat resto project. *last update 17-2-09*

Post by SHEEL »

Hey guys and girls.

I just love tinkering so much I've got another project on the go.

Its my old mans skiboat, dunno if he'll be able to use it as much as he used to but My brothers and I sure will, and I think dad will be happy to hand it down to us...

So its been out of action for about 10 years, the sump ruster out and dropped its load all through the bottom of the hull, plus the floor was getting saggy in parts. Dad was concerned that the main stringers (wooden chassis rails) were rotten, but we had to rip the floor up to be sure...

First I went to pick it up and discovered the trailer was totally fvcked. all the suspension was mild steel despite the rest of the trailer being Galvanised.
the suspension had rusted to nothing and collapsed:

So it was out with the old and in with some new Galvanised leafs:

I also replaced the hubs and the axle will be changed in a few months too so I can get the right offset for commodore wheels

And soon enough she was a roller:

We towed her back to melbourne then stripped her and cut the floor panels out to expose the stringers and floor frame:

Patched a couple of dodgey bits in the hull whil the floor was out:

The stringers we absolutely fine which was really good news, some of the floor frame was a bit damaged from years of use so we replaced some sections and added some more bits of frame using mirboo (water resistant) for added strength:

Next I cut up some new sections for the floor using Marine grade water resistant plywood:

I put a layer of fibreglass on the underside of the floor panels to insulate the wood from any water that might get into the hull.

Then the floor panels went in, I put a few stainless nails in through the frame and stringers just to hold the floor in place, most of the strength is provided by the glass which as you can see covers the whole lot...

Flipped her over on the cup weekend to clean up the underside, Initially we thought there had been repairs to the hull as there were patches of bog type material.

When we sanded all the bog away we were shocked to find no repairs at all. It appears the bog was put on to fill patches where the gel coat may have flaked away or peeled off.

I simply sprayed a few coats of high build primer and sanded it back until it was fairly smooth. there are still a few wobbles but its under the boat so who gives a rats....

painted it in Poly 2 pak in a similar yellow. Looks like the yellow is way light in the pics but because it was still wet it looks funny under the flash of the camera. Its actually quite alot darker and almost matches the old yellow. I did go a little lighter as eventually I'll spray the whole boat and I want it to be a bit cleaner yellow as opposed to an orangey yellow.

Thats all for now, I'll keep adding pics as I go...the aim is to have it done for summer!

Update 1st Dec '08

painted the inside of the hull. looks a bit funny I think but it will look heaps better when I get some carpet down on the floor. Also got a pic of the old engine before I started pulling it down. I'll have more pics in the coming weeks as I will be doing heaps of work on it...

Last edited by SHEEL on Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
FATPSI

Post by FATPSI »

nice little project. you should make balast tanks under the floor to create a better wake, might be a bit late with all the glassing you've done now tho.

If you need paint let us know, I sell automotive paint for a living :D
SHEEL

Post by SHEEL »

too late for the paint!! thanks for the offer though.

painted in a poly 2 pack. good for adhering to gelcoats apparantly.

We use the baot primarily for skiing with occasional wakebaording so we don't want a massive wake. It puts out a pretty good wake at low-medium speeds anyway.

one of the things which I'm trying to avoid is adding more weight actually. the boat is very nimble and we want to keep it that way, makes for good hooning and when you have a few tubes on the back....
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

So, whats going to power it Daniel? And named it yet or what? lol
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
Fazio
Regular

Post by Fazio »

blown 308 :D :D :D
looks tops mate.

how many seater?
got my te gemi for $220 :)
new coupe... project under construction
http://www.ozgemini.com/forums/non-tech ... ight=fazio
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

I vote 4ZC1 with external gate/screamer pipe :D

That or G200 with twin webers lol

81 TE Gemini Sedan
SHEEL

Post by SHEEL »

lol a four banger would not pull a skier out of the water idle - 1500rpm. direct drive so I need the install pull of an 8..

Has always been and will always be holden 308.

just a fresh engine with tricked up dizzy, jetted up quadrajet and mild a cam.

nothing too flash... jus a solid reliable unit.

The Name will stay aswell, though you cant see it too good in the pics, It's "Lawless" and believe me the name suits.. this boat has broken so many laws its not even funny...

tis a 5 seater but we may change the the front bench seat to buckets, so that may change...not sure yet.
SICKTG
Long Term Member

Post by SICKTG »

i still cant find any pics of mine that i had but we had a bench in the back buckets in the front
SHEEL

Post by SHEEL »

Yeh I think front buckets was a factory option, I have seen more with buckets than I have with a bench... and the bucket ones have a different engine cover which looked to be factory...
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

lol a four banger would not pull a skier out of the water idle - 1500rpm. direct drive so I need the install pull of an 8..
Whoops. Someone should tell dennis that, hes got 2 of them with RB30ET's - both with 800hp roller bearing turbos and external gates moahahaha

81 TE Gemini Sedan
SHEEL

Post by SHEEL »

GeminiCoupe wrote:
Whoops. Someone should tell dennis that, hes got 2 of them with RB30ET's - both with 800hp roller bearing turbos and external gates moahahaha
I'm guessing thats for ski racing?

if you want to wakeboard and knee board at low speeds you need an engine that will happily pull at 1500rpm.

for ski racing you just need to get the skier out of the water/ doesn't need to be a good start as long as they get up...then its full noise...
rb30's would be sweet for a race boat...

I have seen a 16ft boat with a 202 but it was not very good..

V8 all the way.
jimbob33
Regular

Post by jimbob33 »

i got a set of garret turbos that would love to sit on the sides of that 308 going cheep mate
SHEEL

Post by SHEEL »

hahahaha I'd love to put them on but I better get the thing on the water first...

If I was gonna spend money on anything going fast it would be the gem anyway...

I can't believe you guys... encouraging me to put money into something other than my gem...

I have PRIORITIES PEOPLE!! JEEEESSS!! :lol:
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

Last time i checked the Gemini WAS running Daniel, so that means you can pump money into something else now :P

Yeah your right, they do use them for ski's. One of the guys went out with Dennis ages ago, he vowed hell never step foot on another boat since then. Mustve been fun haha.

A mate at work picked up a 351 with twin turbo's making 800hp out of a speed boat - needed a bottom end rebuild. $1500. I wonder if he wants to sell it....want me to ask dan? :P

81 TE Gemini Sedan
SHEEL

Post by SHEEL »

lol nah thanks I like my arms in their sockets where they belong!!