My SkiBoat resto project. *last update 17-2-09*

This Forum is here for each member to post pics of his/her other non Gemini related cars. Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
fleaboy
Regular

Post by fleaboy »

This boat, from memory is a nissan but not an RB30.. mite be bigger.. and its twin turbo.

http://www.waterskiracing.com/Photos/20 ... m51106.jpg

And yes it flies..
SHEEL

Post by SHEEL »

looks like a v configuration so my guess is vg30 or vg45
Josh
Long Term Member

Post by Josh »

Hey sheel, Roughly how much has this cost you so far? I'm looking at doing the same thing but maybe with a Gen 3. You going to put a soft clutch in it?
SHEEL

Post by SHEEL »

so far maybe $1200 ish.

but keep in mind it is going to vary totally with each boat. we have had extra costs along the way like new steering cable and dog clutch housing.
SHEEL

Post by SHEEL »

Got some updates,

Painted the transom and prettied up the engine... still have to finish making a new sump. Also need to fit the new steering cable and we got a new steering box aswell...

monique
n00b

Post by monique »

wow you've obviously put a fair bit of effort into this. im impressed =)
it's gonna look pretty good once it's finished.
SHEEL

Post by SHEEL »

hard work = yes very much so.

hopefully it will be worth it tho
SHEEL

Post by SHEEL »

Got the steering sorted, new steering box, cable, modified a Gemini !!! boss kit and second hand wheel to fit on. Boat steering wheels have funny bolt patterns and are hella expensive. So I used the Gemini boss kit as a means to open up options with car steering wheels. and car steering wheels are way easier to get...

The exhaust was previousely hoses, which are re-enforced with steel spiral wire. the hose is really expensive. So I got some regular nylon hose that has a heat rating of 150 degrees (more than enough) and stainless pipe. this cost me about $70 all up. the spiral hose would have cost around $250...pretty happy with the result.

Also got some new hi top rocker covers....mmmm sexy!
Nimbus
Regular

Post by Nimbus »

This boat is coming up awsome mate!
I have a 70's ski boat project lined up for when I get back from holidays. The boat is a Merlin Sabre. Looks pretty similar to yours.
Did your boat used to have a cable steering setup, (like the winders in a wagon door), and you have changed it? Mine has that type, and it looks dodge...

I know pretty much bugger all about boats at this point. :roll:
Greg
Look kids! It's an internet forum!
SHEEL

Post by SHEEL »

Alot of 70's boats have the twin cable and pulley system. Its pretty much a standard practice.

Apparantly they are prone to stretching cables and getting a bit sloppy.

The Flightcrafts are a bit different though. The cable setup on mine is actually designed for an outboard but has been adapted to fit on the inboard setup. All Flightcrafts built in Dandenong are like this from what I have seen.

Mine has been modified even more because my entire driveline has been move rearward by about 4-6 inches. We suspect this is because the previous owner did some competition skiing and wanted the boat to tow a certain way... we can't be too sure of that though.
Normally the entire cable setup is concealed in the rear section of the boat behind the rear seat. where mine actually comes out through the transom and is mounted up on the outside as you can see.

Its definately been educational doing this project...
SHEEL

Post by SHEEL »

more pics.

We have had some drama's with the engine...

We put it in last week and fired it up... started very easily which was good but had no oil pressure at all which obviously is very bad.

We later discovered that the oil pump needs to be primed if it has been removed from the engine. Problem is to removed the oil pump the engine needed to be lifted out again!

So at the moment its on the engine crane but it will be back in very soon.

on a positive note it sounded absolutely awesome for the 10-20 seconds we had it running!! so loud !

MGOTD
Regular

Post by MGOTD »

SHEEL wrote:more pics.

We have had some drama's with the engine...

We put it in last week and fired it up... started very easily which was good but had no oil pressure at all which obviously is very bad.

We later discovered that the oil pump needs to be primed if it has been removed from the engine. Problem is to removed the oil pump the engine needed to be lifted out again!

So at the moment its on the engine crane but it will be back in very soon.

on a positive note it sounded absolutely awesome for the 10-20 seconds

we had it running!! so loud !

Video of it running please sheel :D i want to hear it running :D 8)

nice work to

Cheers
Matt
SHEEL

Post by SHEEL »

yeh will get a vid asap...
SHEEL

Post by SHEEL »

WOOHOOO!!! Took her for a test drive today!!! IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!

SO good having a big thumping V8 under the right foot!

The engine ran pretty good... still not 100% but with some timing and tuning it will be awesome. The hull seemed to hold water pretty well, we only had it in the water for about 20 minutes before an old hose clamp let go and it blew a water hose...which let water in everywhere! we rowed the boat into shore..yep thats right we rowed it!!...dodged up the hose and drove back to the boat ramp.

I'm going to tidy up a few bits during the week so next weekend I might take it out with some ski's!

I took some video of it running on the trailer I'll upload them tomorrow.

!!! EXCITING !!!
SHEEL

Post by SHEEL »

Video as promised...

http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d133/ ... deo004.flv

note there is a metric sh1tload of steam coming out and it looks like oil smoke but I assure you it is just steam!!

we were flushing the engine out and it was a pretty cold day so yeh...steam everywhere...