Trin's SP20

This Forum is here for each member to post pics of his/her other non Gemini related cars. Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
Nimbus
Regular

Trin's SP20

Post by Nimbus »

I guess I should do a writeup on Trin's Astina.

The car is an '03 BJ Astina SP20. We bought the car about 18 months ago. It had about 90,000kms on the clock and was in good standard condition, with tinted glass. The SP20 is a fully optioned 323 with the 626 BPFS DOHC 2L. Not a powerhouse, but pretty good for a hatch. We hunted around for awhile, black ones aren't easy to find. The Mazda3 SP23 was an option, but we both HATE the arse styling...

Pics..

The first mod was to rip out the wanker lights from the front bar, and add some real lights.. :wink:
LightForce 140 lance driving lights. They make a huge difference for night time mountain runs..

A jap importer bloke who we buy heaps of stuff from, scored the wheels on an FC from Japan. The clear coat was in average condition, but I fixed that by painting the centers black. They are 18x8 Rays Engineering rims.
Not bad for $400! :D

I scored some pedders lowering springs off Ebay for $40. The stock struts kick arse already.

Then I knocked up a 2.25" mandrel bent zorst, with a Devil muffler.
Not too loud.

Then, I tore open the headlights, and painted the surrounds black.
The car now has clear side repeaters.

Problem was, mega rear scuff. Even after lipping the gaurds.
The rear had no camber adjustment, so I drilled the struts, welded on plates, and made my own.
It now runs 6degrees of neg.. :lol: Doesn't need that much, but we like the look.. :wink:

Thats it for now. For future mods, Trin wants a big stereo, carbon tail lights and a turbo.. I reckon we fit a V6 :D

You can see the comparison from stock.

Motor..

Greg
Look kids! It's an internet forum!
fleaboy
Regular

Post by fleaboy »

looks good, how are they ride comfort wise? the parents mates had a protege sedan bout the same year, and they said it was horrid.. sp20 any better?
Nimbus
Regular

Post by Nimbus »

Really depends what you consider "horrid ride comfort".. I think thats a personal thing. I happily drive a nimbus with the struts welded at the bump stops.. :D

This one is stiff as a board and wanders at high speeds in a straight line (due to silly camber), but turn in and cornering grip are exceptional.
In standard, SP20 form, it was a bit stiffer than most cars. When I changed the springs, the shocks were still in top nick, and are very stiff. The front swaybar is also quite large. If you hit a big enough bump, the swaybar connecting links on the other side bend, and need to be straightened. The SP20 has a factory front strut brace.
I don't know how the other BJ 323's feel, they have different spring rates and struts.
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

rad
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw
TR1NNA

Post by TR1NNA »

Hey, thats my car :lol:
headstrong
Regular
Location: putting my pets on facebook because i cbf paying them attention unless its online...

Post by headstrong »

TR1NNA wrote:Hey, thats my car :lol:
oh no we have a rocket scientist lol
Scroll down for the meaning of life.
shyguy

Post by shyguy »

TR1NNA wrote:Hey, thats my car :lol:
oh wow trins on here now.. hey tr1nna /wave
ScR01
Regular

Post by ScR01 »

i like the nimbusile better. :lol:
SICKTG
Long Term Member

Post by SICKTG »

those driving lights are rad looks like a nice ride
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

Vote one MPS3/6 2.3L Turbo transplant. Would probably torquesteer the body in half though haha.

Just a personal thing, i reckon black-with-polished outters is abit over done these days. I reckon MPS3 wheels would look killer...
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
Nimbus
Regular

Post by Nimbus »

The Nimbusile is on a one way trip to dog food tin-land. :lol:

Lightforce's are the goods. The difference they make when you leave town and head out where it's really dark is amazing! Also grouse for those maggots that don't dip their lights...

Bugger that Nick, I've been mulling over the idea of a KLZE 2.5l quad cam v6. It's the motor fitted to the TX5 and ford Probe. If you get the jap version from the Capella wagon, it makes a nice 185kw and a fair bit more torque than the 4. Then mod from there. It's a fairly straight forward conversion, using mostly factory parts, and it's been done.

But seriously. Fuk spending real money on building a 'super shopping trolley'. It is a nice comfortable reliable car as it is. It's the gem that needs an EVO motor.. :wink:
stubbsy212
Regular

Post by stubbsy212 »

Nimbus wrote:But seriously. Fuk spending real money on building a 'super shopping trolley'. It is a nice comfortable reliable car as it is. It's the gem that needs an EVO motor.. :wink:
Boooo yeh lol
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

380nm from a 2.3L four aint enough for you Greg :shock:
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
Nimbus
Regular

Post by Nimbus »

GeminiCoupe wrote:380nm from a 2.3L four aint enough for you Greg :shock:
I stand corrected! Thats like 100nm MORE than the 6.. If one fell from the sky, I'd put it in.. Don't imagine thats gonna happen though. :lol:
marc_greinke
n00b

Post by marc_greinke »

Hey greg,

You should really post this up on AGT, looks insane! :P (btw its marcs_sp20 haha :D )

Hi-Boost kit from the US would be better $$ wise then the 2.3L MZR from the MPS...
SP20's are nice, but are in no comparison to a gem, I need another one :(