The New Rusty Money Pits

This Forum is here for each member to post pics of his/her other non Gemini related cars. Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
ajs991
Long Term Member

The New Rusty Money Pits

Post by ajs991 »

I f*#cking hate that shitcunt moment when you type a huuuuge post, and then f*#k up by clicking backspace and loosing it. Dont you?

Anyway. Ive accquired a new project :D Probably resto with standard body, maybe something fun under the bonnet. We will see.

After stuffing around on carsales a while back I stubbled across a Hillman Hunter GT. Id seen one before and wanted one for a while, then forgot about it, till I saw this one. Mentioned to my house mate that I thought they were cool and wouldnt mind one as a project, and he pipes up thats theres one sitting at his old mans farm. Interesting... was something along the lines of my reply, not expecting it to go further. There was also a couple of Honda 1300 Coupes sitting there that he wanted as a project, so the call was made with the expected reply of no strangely being a yes, so long as a pair of pineapples changed hands..

So we went out there today. Unfortunately not a GT, the Hillman was last registered in 1992, and has been sitting in this one spot since. The phone relayed the fact that it randomly stopped running and had a spun bottom end bearing, rendering the 1725ccs of fury currently useless. All the brakes had also siezed, and even after being dragged round the paddock for 3 days straight they refused to un-sieze. This would prove a problem, however when dragging it out today all bar one was already unsiezed :D The Coupes will take a bit more persuading however. Anyway they were pulled away from there resting areas and covered in tarps with a bug bomb each to kill off any nasties. We found more than a few spiders and other many legged creatures in them and werent keen to reach up somewhere and find one. They will be collected and work will start properly next weekend.

Here she is, in all her glory.

The interior has seen better days, with 2011 - 1992 = 19 years of sun taking its toll :cry:

These Coupes, the silver being a Coupe 9 and the blue a Coupe 7, are seriously cool. 1300cc, aircooled and dry sumpeded. The 9 has quad carbs, the 7 single. They are going to need a lot of work. To make things easier, about the only parts you can find are the dissy cap, rotor, points and condensor. Everything else, good luck. Housemate has his work cut out :lol:

We tried to get the silver one fired up today. Apparently a fresh rebuild before it was parked, all the splugs and under the dizzy cap looked brand new. Theyd been driven from the front of the property 20 years ago to their resting place and not moved till today. We didnt manage to get it started, couldnt get a spark. Job for next weekend!

Here they are after we dragged them out of 20 years worth of accumlated crap, grass and assorted animal nests.

So collection next weekend, and then the fun (and dismay on behalf of the landlord) begins!
stock_gem
Regular

Post by stock_gem »

f*#k yes. do us proud with the hunter.

i am quite inerested in learning your plans for it.
Last edited by stock_gem on Fri Feb 32, 3043 13:75 pm; edited 3.14159265 times in total
troyrotor
Long Term Member

Post by troyrotor »

thats cool man, that engine bay is destined for some awesome metallic paint really glossy.

do you have a pic of the quad carbs?
MY BUILD viewtopic.php?t=36388 OF THIS s@*tter BELOW
stock_gem
Regular

Post by stock_gem »

i noticed on a hunter once, that the mirrors (just the driver's side one on this car) are very similar if not the same as base model gemini ones?

also, McPherson struts on IFS and leaf-sprung live axel rear?
that's f*#cked up...
Last edited by stock_gem on Fri Feb 32, 3043 13:75 pm; edited 3.14159265 times in total
troyrotor
Long Term Member

Post by troyrotor »

the mirror was the first thing i saw too.
yer that suspension setup is wack
MY BUILD viewtopic.php?t=36388 OF THIS s@*tter BELOW
ajs991
Long Term Member

Post by ajs991 »

Mirrors are similar, but not the same.
Odd suspension set up hey? Strange people on the plans i think.
The bay is great, factory shaven lol. Going to suck doing rust behind the guards and things though, all factory welded :(
Ill grab a pick when next weekend, didnt get one for some reason.
stock_gem
Regular

Post by stock_gem »

datsun 120Y's have the same suspension set up, but they look like a massive cockroach on top of a shopping trolley and handle like one too :lol:
ajs991
Long Term Member

Post by ajs991 »

Im hoping it doesnt handle that badly, but Id say itll be a fair while before it goes fast enough to find out :lol:

I found a pic of the carb setup in the Coupe 9. Not it, but the same.

It also has an odd suspension setup, the front is McPherson strut and the rear is a leaf sprung crossed swinging beam axle like so:

Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

I think wikipedia has a good write up on them.
That's where I got all my info about them from the other day
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw
ajs991
Long Term Member

Post by ajs991 »

Ive read it, its all copied info from another site Ive found elsewhere. Cant remeber what it was called. They raced a few of them at Bathurst apparently.
stock_gem
Regular

Post by stock_gem »

that swinging bridge axle looks interesting... :lol:

i wonder why its not common?

and why the f*#k do these old leaf-sprung shitboxes :lol: have mcpherson struts in the front and geminis don't? :evil:
NANKERVIS08
Regular

Re: The New Rusty Money Pits

Post by NANKERVIS08 »

ajs991 wrote: Image

!
i am one
with the BEAST
hooking up boost gauges correctly since I installed my first one
ajs991
Long Term Member

Re: The New Rusty Money Pits

Post by ajs991 »

Bahahaha :lol: :lol:

I think its more going f*#k me look at all this lichen, what have i done? :lol:

Possibly because they got lazy halfway through the design process Stock? Apparently the Coupes handle very well with that rear end so will be interesting to see.
Nimbus
Regular

Post by Nimbus »

Lol, a hunter. :D
Many crazy times in a mates hunter...

I dunno how easy they are to get parts for, but I might be able to get this crazy old car horder to part with this one. Don't think he uses it much..

Look kids! It's an internet forum!
GEMWRC
Long Term Member

Post by GEMWRC »

This old fella had a mint stocker racing a few weeks ago