VL Calais build - Sheelos style

This Forum is here for each member to post pics of his/her other non Gemini related cars. Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
SHEEL

VL Calais build - Sheelos style

Post by SHEEL »

Hey guys,

An old mate of mine rang me a few weeks ago and asked me to build his car for him and offered to pay me for my time...

So after a bit of discussion I decided to take the job on. I had my car moved to my cousins where he is babysitting for me, and last weekend Rob dropped his car off at my place.

It's a Turbo Calais, he has spent big $$ on the driveline, RB 30 with forged internals and heaps of head/cam work, big turbo, custom manifolds, Autronic computer, powerglide trans with high stall. Smoothed Engine bay and the list goes on.

Basically he has bought all the major components and my job is to assemble, detail and purchase/organise all the little bits like hoses, fittings, bolts etc...

here is the pic before it was dropped off at mine:

more pics to come as I progress. The aim is to have a neat factory looking car on the outside (maybe even running standard calais wheels) with a show quality engine bay, and to run 9's :)
SHEEL

Post by SHEEL »

did a little bit on Saturday morning, pulled out steering column so I can change the lock to match with the doorlocks, fitted the Booster and Master Cylinder for the Brakes. Then I needed some bench space so I dropped the Radiator and Thermofan in, need to come out again for the engine to go in, but in the meantime it gets it off my workbench! Looks nice!

SHEEL

Post by SHEEL »

This is the mess inside the car! I'm not doing the wiring thankfully! I just need to change the ignition barrel so that it matches the door locks then re-fit the column properly

Success! after a bit of screwing around I got he new barrel in there, also had to change the ignition switch as it wasn't springing back properly. Also going to change the indicator stalk due to the current one being broken.
Column back in the car:

Only the rear brake line was left in the car so I connected that then went about fabbing up some new lines for the front:

This is the view inside the Drivers side wheel, I still have to take the lines to the brake shop to get them flared with nuts fitted. I have an el cheapo flaring tool which failed to do the job properly!

Front Passenger line in progress, you can see here I routed it alongside the engine crossmember as opposed to around the trans tunnel, we want it as hiden as possible:

Finished bar the flare nuts:

more to come as I progress...