First Generation Holden Astra LC

This Forum is here for each member to post pics of his/her other non Gemini related cars. Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
blue

Post by blue »

Found out that I in fact don't have an E16 engine (1.6L), I have an E15 engine.. which looks pretty much the same, apart from a few subtle differences, like the G161 and G180 etc. This engine was used on N12 pulsars and also on the Astras a few years before mine. But I'm not really complaining as they're easier to find parts for and the power difference is negligible between both. However, in QLD I do believe that as a P plater I'm not allowed to drive a car with a different engine? But alas, I shall act dumb. As well, I've had the car for a while now and only just noticed now, so easy thing to not notice.

Also in another note, a loud thud was heard at about 4:30AM today, didn't know what it was or anything until I went into the garage to find my boot shut, thought that was a little weird as I thought I didn't shut it, opened it up again, wouldn't stay open, seems as though the struts have failed, bit of oil leaking out of both. Ah well, it's about 80 dollars for some new ones of eBay so I guess I'll just have to pick some up.
1987 Holden Astra LC.... One day, a Gemini shall be mine..
blue

Post by blue »

Did this a few days ago, just a little bit of progress on the interior, hoping to do more tomorrow and the next day as I'm off work.

Few interior pieces back in

To my surprise, the boot carpet lines up quite well..

Centre console/handbrake console thing in

Will hopefully update in a few days with a much more completed interior!

Edit: Forgot these photos before.

It's amazing how something so small can make such a big difference, like these buttons for the seat belt release, fresh coat of paint and they came to life!

Before

After

The after shot is from the front seatbelts and the before is from the rear, I forgot to snap one of the front ones before, but the effect is still there.
blue

Post by blue »

Finally, progress! Managed to angle grind of that troublesome bolt with the help of a mate, allowing the drive shafts to come loose, then after much persuasion, the transmission! Maybe not for some, but this is rather a big accomplishment for myself, having done jack all mechanical work.. ever.

Pictures below!

That rather troublesome bolt..

Drive shaft out

Out goes the gearbox!

Goodies exposed

Also wondering if the markings on the flywheel surface are normal and okay or if it needs to be machined? Pics below.

Seems to be flat to touch and no scratches that can be felt etc, all smooth.

Also, when the gearbox was in the car, basically the problem was that the clutch was kinda burnt out and was almost like it was activated slightly all the time, causing it to reek of clutch etc. It was also quite harsh.

But also a problem was that my gearbox has great difficulty getting into reverse (once in, it's fine) After a bit of googling/car manual I suspected the synchros perhaps? My gearbox also feels very, well for a lack of a better term, loose. I could move the gearstick left to right without much resistance if any, and also when doing so there was a slight metal clink when going side to side (like in the horizontal part of the H shape). I suspect some bushing has gone, causing some metal on metal to make some noise, either way, didn't sound promising. Was just wondering if anyone else had encountered any issues like it?

Also, as my old pedal covers are slippery as hell and kinda worn down, I picked up these of ebay for about 17 or 18 bucks, I rather like them.