First Generation Holden Astra LC

This Forum is here for each member to post pics of his/her other non Gemini related cars. Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
blue

First Generation Holden Astra LC

Post by blue »

Hey guys, first time posting here, so if somethings a bit off, my bad :D. Basically I'm 17 (go ahead and judge :D ) and I don't actually own a Gemini, but intend to in the future as they interest me.

ANYWAY. For my first car I bought a 1987 Holden Astra LC, which is a rebadged N12 Nissan Pulsar I do believe, however with the E16 engine, which was an engine option on the N13 Pulsar. I got the car for $500 about 7 or 8 months ago and have slowly fixed a few things to give me something to do before I get my license (test is in about a month). Now I know this isn't the quality of all the other 'other cars' here, so I was just wondering if you guys wanted to see anything I've done to it/will do to it in the future (plans are for an air conditioned esky ;) ).

Please note however, I don't actually know much about cars, half the reason I bought a 'crap' car is so that I could learn how to fix things and learn about cars in general, so generally the modifications I do to the car will probably be quite amateur in nature :).

Cheers guys!

- blue
beerhound

Post by beerhound »

:D :D :D Welcome Blue strap in and enjoy the ride the knowledge on this site will definately help you with your gemini related project when you get it
Came into this world with nothing and pretty much still own all of that to this day.
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

A guy I went to school with had a Astra his brother converted into a ute.

Hours of fun was had with that thing :)
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw
blue

Post by blue »

Haha thanks guys. That ute sounds great! That would look a bit weird on my car though..

I'll chuck up some photos after work tonight which shall show you how she came to get the name 'Tammy'. It may be a shitebox, but I feel I sort of have some connection with the car, just because I've spent hours doing little random things :D
blue

Post by blue »

I just tried to add pictures, but it says I need at least 3 posts before I do so... So.. this is that post. :D

Edit: Will post photos once it lets me tomorrow sometime, someone may need to validate my posts? I'm not quite sure how it works :D I'm not a spammer, honest ;).
Last edited by blue on Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1987 Holden Astra LC.... One day, a Gemini shall be mine..
blue

Post by blue »

Photo's aren't great quality as they're just taken off my phone but best I've got.

Here's just a few images of when I first got the car:

And here's why the car came to have the name 'Tammy'.

I didn't actually realise when I bought the car, but that is a picture of the roof vinyl cloth stuff? Well anyways, that is what is written behind the sun visor/shield thing on the passenger side. I thought this was quite hilarious and have many theories who this 'Tamara' may be :D.

Anyways, hope to have more photos up in the coming weeks as I just got my roadworthy a few days ago, and it shall be registered sometime this week. Mostly just cosmetic mods, some new paint (paint is sun-damaged and some of it's new, other stuff is just faded etc, plans are to paint it white), esky installed etc :D
blue

Post by blue »

Car is now roadworthy and registered :D

... Although my roadworthy guy was somewhat dodgy.. (I didn't mean for him to be, just called up the first mobile mechanic I found with decent feedback) so upon driving it down to get registered, when I got out of the car I noticed a very distinct smell.. clutch.. (not to mention I noticed it felt kind of off) So that will have to be replaced, going to give that a go myself, will be the first major mechanical thing I've done to the car, and well to any car (yeah, i'm pretty much a noob). So I'll order the clutch online and give that a go.

Hoping to get the car sanded back this week sometime, will have to see when I have free time. Also, the paint is in okay condition, no rust etc just the clear coat is pretty bad on the roof and some minor patches on the rest of the car, so is it worth going to bare metal, or just sanding it back a bit? The car is going to be painted white if that makes any difference.
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

Awesome!
75 TX Coupe
blue

Post by blue »

Just wondering if anyone has dealt with onautos.com.au before, googled my clutch, seems to be the only legitimate looking one. Here's the link: http://www.onautos.com.au/p-3749-holden ... h-kit.aspx

Edit: Or this clutch? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EXEDY-CLUTCH ... 554wt_1397
blue

Post by blue »

UPDATE: Car is now sanded back (to primer, if not baremetal) and now waiting for a good day without rain to give it a final wash and then prime it.

Pictures to come in the next few days!
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

What colour have u decided on?
75 TX Coupe
blue

Post by blue »

Decided on white as it seems simple and easier (no other colours would really match my beige-ish/cream interior) But if I eventually change my interior (I'm thinking black?) I figure white could be a decent undercoat (after sanding back of course :P). Going to be just painting the exterior at this stage as I need to get it on the road ASAP. Will be doing inside the doors/other touchups at a later date :)
blue

Post by blue »

UPDATE: Pictures! I apologise for the amount, couldn't really get bigger pictures as space was limited.

Front passenger side quarter panel

Front Passenger side door

Rear passenger side door/quarter panel

Roof

Rear

Driver side rear quarter panel/door

Driver side front door

Driver side front quarter panel

Bonnet
justin86
Regular

Post by justin86 »

You weren't messing around. Hope the painting goes alright mate.
Previously Known As goons hired goons
blue

Post by blue »

Thanks Justin!

Car is now in primer (although I ran out of paint, only bought 1 litre as I didn't know how much I would need.) I managed to get the whole car in primer, but would like to do another few coats as it's a bit thin in places. Home-made spray booth did alright, bit of dust etc settles on the roof and bonnet, but I'll be sanding before the white paint goes on, so I don't mind. Afterall, it is my first car AND first time painting, so I know it's not going to be perfect.

A few pics: