LOK's VS ute - repair build

This Forum is here for each member to post pics of his/her other non Gemini related cars. Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
LOK15
Gemini Master

LOK's VS ute - repair build

Post by LOK15 »

Bored so i thought id put a thread up about my ute

Image[/img]
Last edited by LOK15 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Getting too old for this s*#t!!
Gem_Kid
Long Term Member

Post by Gem_Kid »

lol sorry to say but $100 says the front will be out
drift_puppy
Regular

Post by drift_puppy »

Gem_Kid wrote:lol sorry to say but $100 says the front will be out
but didnt they come stock like that...
f**kn commos
dp
TE Gemini Pvan. Spares:TE sdn white.
LOK15
Gemini Master

Post by LOK15 »

and exactly what makes you say that? but seriously , thats a rather large assumption without having the car infront of you to inspect , i'll take your $100 bet , will have measurements this weekend :wink:
kizza
Regular

Post by kizza »

i can vouch for loks work, when it comes to front cuts hes had plenty of expierience
one
Long Term Member

Post by one »

i have no idea where you get ur motivation from lok! lookin good, i dont reckon it will be out!
Gem_Kid
Long Term Member

Post by Gem_Kid »

LOK15 wrote:

and exactly what makes you say that? but seriously , thats a rather large assumption without having the car infront of you to inspect , i'll take your $100 bet , will have measurements this weekend :wink:
hows monoply money....i dont even have any of that lol

but how ill the engineers go with a but joint...especially near the strut tower which takes allt he force of the suspension?
LOK15
Gemini Master

Post by LOK15 »

if you look really really closely at the 2nd pic , you will see a nice thick sheet of pressed metal making its way from the chassis rail to the strut , the brake line even passes through it.I guess this is where the strut finds its strength , not some thin panel at the front which holds the battery in place.Butt welding doesnt matter in this case , its not a chassis part of great structural strength ( does your shop overlap and weld all its repairs, even on a rust reapir on the bottom of a door?? )
Gem_Kid
Long Term Member

Post by Gem_Kid »

LOK15 wrote:if you look really really closely at the 2nd pic , you will see a nice thick sheet of pressed metal making its way from the chassis rail to the strut , the brake line even passes through it.I guess this is where the strut finds its strength , not some thin panel at the front which holds the battery in place.Butt welding doesnt matter in this case , its not a chassis part of great structural strength ( does your shop overlap and weld all its repairs, even on a rust reapir on the bottom of a door?? )
fair enough i see your point, justfrom what ive noticed happening (im in a new shop which does this stuff now) im opening my eyes and seeing how its all done now and seen how this was done and tohught 'fark hwy doesnt he replace the whole skin instead of joining a 2 old ones together'.

and i know enought that rust repairs dont get overlapped, dont be silly :P
SICKTG
Long Term Member

Post by SICKTG »

f*#k that would be fun lol good luck with it aye
LOK15
Gemini Master

Post by LOK15 »

well here is the thing as it sits.. i need a new metal thingy behind the bumper as i used the old bent one..

CUTLOW
Regular

Post by CUTLOW »

Is it just me or doesnt anything line up? bonnet to gaurd, bumper to gaurd. An is the bumper on an angle?
PF60 Kev
Long Term Member

Post by PF60 Kev »

V5W suspension option?
LOK15
Gemini Master

Post by LOK15 »

CUTLOW wrote:Is it just me or doesnt anything line up? bonnet to guard, bumper to guard. An is the bumper on an angle?
I used my old beat up front bumper off my sedan , the original reo was used as i couldnt get a good one ( its a tad bent , even after a few wacks with a hammer ) the bonnet is a temp as im not happy with the front of it ( and it doesnt line up as the rubber stops under havent been adjusted.

If you know much about modern cars.. they are spot welded by a robot.. so all panels are spotted in the same place.. all the spots were drilled out , and lined back up.. there is a 3mm discrepancy in the engine bay diagonals ( shock horror @ 3mm ) .

Aslo the plastic mount on the passenger headlight was broken , and failed the roadworthy.. car has now passed and off to inspection to be removed from the repairable writeoff register.
LOK15
Gemini Master

Post by LOK15 »

So , i ended up changing bonnets , now on the 3rd one. Have since replaced CAS ,TPS, fuel pump, coil packs ,DFI module , head gaskets ,valley gaskets , cleaned sump oil pick up that was clogged with coke ( burnt oil residue ) fitted with lowered front and rear king springs , fitted a 2nd truck battery under the space in the back next to the fuel tank , LED tail light bulbs and frosted white tail lights , power window doors , Usb stereo and 10" fusion sub with 6.5" 3 way fusion door speakers with clarion amp to run the sub , replaced starter motor , also engine cover , front nudge bar and rear sports bar , also ute liner and have a replacement tailgate as i backed into a bollard i couldnt see due to a height V mirror issue. There is possibly a few other things ive forgotten.

And got a tradies canopy for a steal ( 6 hour drive to pick it up though )

currently causing me grief , broke down and had issues getting it on the trailer...

and had to put stocvk springs in on a recent trip down south as it chewed a bump stop out and was hitting diff to body causing engine light to flicker on. Replacement springs ( with back loaded ) looked lowered again!!

think i bought it in '06 ,so ive had it 7 years... always thought it was 8 years :shock: