"THA ROTOR COUPE"

This Forum is here for each member to post pics of his/her Gemini project cars. Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
06EMY
Regular

"THA ROTOR COUPE"

Post by 06EMY »

Well I’ve been meaning to start this write up for awhile now, but there really hasn’t been much point, as I’ve only started work on my new coupe about one month ago.

I bought this 05/75 TX coupe as a shell back in April for an absolute steal of $400. It had received a lot of attention to the bodywork before my purchase.
The rear beaver panel had been welded smooth with the body.
The fuel flap and passenger’s side flap had been deleted.
The front quarter panels had been welded on the body at the bottom of the a-pillar, the bottom of the sill and front apron.
The shock towers had been seam welded.
The whole car had been sprayed in primer with the boot, engine bay and wheel arches receiving a coat a maroon paint (not to my liking).

Plans for the coupe are as follows:
Shave everything (else). Door handles, all locks, air vents below front windscreen, water sill on each side of the roof, every hole not needed in the engine bay, airbox holes.
TE front conversion with the quarter panels welded back onto car.
Most definitely going to be rotary powered. Either a race prepped 13B Peripheral Port or big horse-powered 12A Turbo. I’m leaning towards the 13B at this stage.
Hopper’s front brake conversion. Disc brake rear conversion.
28 spline axles(maybe billet) with full-spool in standard gem diff. Strengthened torque tube and rubber.
Detailed under carriage.
Completely decked cabin. Big stereo, custom dash, seats, carpet, headlining etc-all theme coloured.
Boxed-carpeted boot.

Street registered.
Can't think of anything else at this stage.
Last edited by 06EMY on Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
MY PRIDE AND JOY - "THA ROTOR COUPE"
06EMY
Regular

Post by 06EMY »

Work that I have started on the coupe thus far:

The cabin had been cleaned and prepped for painting with POR-15*. Two coats of POR-15 were applied.

Followed by two coats of body deadener.

*POR-15 is a rust preventative paint that a mate informed me about. If every car was painted with this stuff, there would be no such thing as rusty cars.
For more details on this:
http://www.ppc.au.com/restoration.htm

The boot has received two coats of POR-15.

As of Sunday just gone, I had started on the under carriage. I have prepped from front to back(never want to do that again), applied two coats of POR-15 to the boot section and one coat to the remainder, which I just finished this afternoon.

Edit: Almost forgot, I cut the front quarters off this afternoon awsell.
06EMY
Regular

Post by 06EMY »

Last nite, I picked up my blank VL rear discs, Romac 28 spline full-spool and 28 spline Skyline axles. Thank you Knobby. :D

Will be getting the diff assembled in the next two weeks. Just need backing plates, calipers and s*#t.

06EMY
Regular

Post by 06EMY »

I picked up a VN diff on Friday. Complete. :shock: The f*&kers at VL ProjecX wouldn't take the brake setup off, so I had to take the whole thing.
Anyone who's interested in 28 spline VN axles, cheap, PM me.

I started to paint the calipers this afternoon after work. I'll be working on getting my gemini diff cleaned, prepped and painted this week so everything can be taken to Dan's Trans to be assembled, hopefully by the end of the week.
06EMY
Regular

Post by 06EMY »

Diff has been POR-15ed and two coats of primer. Ready to be painted. Couldn't get started today, rain :cry: .

Rear disc backing plates are ready for paint aswell.

Rear calipers and handbrake assembly will be in the shop by Friday for a service.
06EMY
Regular

Post by 06EMY »

Well, it's been awhile since I updated this thread. Probably due to the fact that not much has been going on.

Steve(SLIMER) took possession of the coupe on Thursday night. He is doing alot of body modification and getting the body ready for paint.
He we be posting pics in his adverts thread.
06EMY
Regular

Post by 06EMY »

I went to Steve's tonight to drop my bonnet to him. Took some progress pics of him and the welder's work over the past two days.

Rad support is fitted and lower valance tacked on

Holes in the rad support

Vents below windscreen

Bracket for bonnet strut to be mounted to

Rear beaver panel

Passenger's door

Driver's door

Guard's have been tacked or welded

Holes along the top of the guards

Fuel filler

Heater box and pipe

Washer bottle holder and loom holes

Chassis number and loom hole

06EMY
Regular

Post by 06EMY »

Steve has sent me some pics...

06EMY
Regular

Post by 06EMY »

A massive thank you goes out to Steve(SLIMER).

I got the coupe back from HIM on Friday night. Very happy with the work. I would recommend him for any panel work.

More pics can be seen on Steve's thread:
http://www.ozgemini.com/forums/non-tech ... c&start=45

X
06EMY
Regular

Post by 06EMY »

I've spent about 7 hours over the last two days on building my boxed boot.
Still needs a few adjustments here and there, but almost complete.

I also picked up my gauges the other day from Brad(KILAFJ). Big thanks to Brad.
Anyone interested in the TF/TG facia that came with these gauges, which was in Brad's old car, just PM me. Boost guage is also for sale.

06EMY
Regular

Post by 06EMY »

I've received some parts in the last couple of days.

McDonald Bros. Racing 6 point steel roll cage.

My cage doesn't include the taxi bar or side intrusion bars, but I do have some extra bars in the rear.

HiD H4 high/low conversion kit

TF/TG clear front indicators

13B gemini/rotary crossmember made by LeRoy from BTR. Thanks LeRoy.

Brand new QLD personalised plate combination

06EMY
Regular

Post by 06EMY »

I got my cage back from Steve(SLIMER) this arvo. Spent a few hours finishing the ends of a few pieces, then taping everything into place.
I should have it welded in within the next week or so(fingers crossed).

Once again, a big thanks to Steve.

06EMY
Regular

Post by 06EMY »

Fuk, I didn't realise how long it's been since I updated this thing. I have been very slack.

Well the cage is all welded in. There is heaps of gussets on all the legs and the loop. I'll get some photos of that shortly.

I finally got my rotor!!!!
I've had it for about 2 months now. It took a little longer to build than what I was expecting, but it was well worth it. The PP was built by Ben and Simon at Rotary Motorsport in Brendale.

Specs:
13B Peripheral Port
46mm PP RX4 Housings
RX5 side clearanced rotors
R5 end plates
Mazda 3mm carbon apex seals
Gilmers
Lightened flywheel
Exedy 4 puk brass button clutch
RX5 gearbox

The housings, water pump housing and timing cover were HPC coated before assembly.

And the finished product.

The motor has been fitted in the car with my BTR cross memeber bolted into place. The firewall and trans tunnel has received alot of attention from a Makita and hammer, to fit the motor and g/box where I wanted it.

A few weeks ago I ran into a MAJOR clearance issue with the brake booster and motor. The inlet manifold and booster both shared the same space in the bay. I've shifted the booster over 60mm into the guard(unfortunately). I'm still yet to grind, bog and sand, as the pictures will show.

Stay tuned. Alot of work is planned for the next month.
06EMY
Regular

Post by 06EMY »

Well, it's been awhile, again. There's been plenty happening with the coupe.

I've finished all the welding, bogging, sanding. Thank f*#k. :)

I've spent the last two weeks painting the underbody, diff and front end assembly. I just need to get new bushes in the front end, reassemble the front end and order front and rear Whiteline swaybars and the whole undercarriage will be 100% complete.

The torque tube's been put together with one of Buggzy's first strengthened tubes and Trent's H/D t/tube rubber.

Since July onwards, I've been buying heaps of parts:

PWR RX5 radiator, 3000CFM SPAL fan and rad cap

PWR oil cooler

Brand new 48 IDA weber from Racing Beat USA(ordered through SelectMaz).
The weber has been taken out to a 51, emulsion tubes changed, modify trumpets and idle stop, throttle wheel and accelerator bracket installed.

Hopper Stopper's front brake setup with cross-drilled/slotted rotors.
XA/XB 1" master cyylinder.
Also purchased braided lines for front and rear(VN/VP discs).

Carter Gold fuel pump

Last Sunday I got possession of my new rims. With the help of Clint. Thanks alot mate, much appreciated for your help.
These FR17's Simmons were purchased from Nick(GeminiCoupe). Thanks mate, very happy with them.

I plan to get the FR's rebuilt with 7" outers(not 8"), suitable offset for a gemini and the centres powder coated in gold with the outers polished.
Will look something like this, with less dish of course:

The car is going to the panel shop this coming Tuesday to get painted. My next post will be photos of the end product. Stay tuned....
06EMY
Regular

Post by 06EMY »

Well after plenty of set backs from the paint shop, I finally have my coupe back. Looking a little better then when it left my house....
The colour is BMW black saphire metallic. I will post some more photos soon of the car with the sun on it.