Turbocoupe's TX IPRA Race Coupe... Dyno time

This Forum is here for each member to post pics of his/her Gemini project cars. Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
Turbocoupe75
Long Term Member

Turbocoupe's TX IPRA Race Coupe... Dyno time

Post by Turbocoupe75 »

Here are pics of my cars, both are TX coupe's.... some of you might remember this car driving around and it was in a pretty sad state when i picked it up, lot's of s%*tty wiring, and the ultimate bonnet scoop with no hole in the bonnet :roll: , i soon fixed that with the sickaflex and angle grinder.
The blue coupe is being quick fixed as a hillclimb car, currently running a rebuilt 1800, bored out 40thou, flat top pistons, decked block and head, 32/36 weber and extractors.
Gearbox is a close ratio rodeo item, with a Lincon Locker. It also runs Volvo 4 spot calipers on the front with VL rear disks soon to get put on.
Suspension has been powder coated an completely re done in Nolethane with king springs all round, and crappy monroe gas shocks for the moment.
Wheels are 15" with good year eagle rubber soon to be replaced with a semi slick.

The next modification will be the addition of the T28 and draw through 2" SU.

Last edited by Turbocoupe75 on Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 11 times in total.
#Turbocoupe75
Turbocoupe75
Long Term Member

Photo's of the "Red" coupe

Post by Turbocoupe75 »

Not sure what motor to drop in this one once it's painted, but thoughts were along the lines of an SR20, at the moment rust repairs are the main plan and get the shell back onto some wheels and sort out the VL LSD four link rear.

#Turbocoupe75
Turbocoupe75
Long Term Member

Post by Turbocoupe75 »

Update Time...

First the blue coupe,

Rear disk brake conversion retaining Gemini stud pattern.

With 15" wheels

Drivers foot well rust repairs, very average Mig welding and fabrication, but this is the race car so it's going to be neat and strong, but not pretty.

A bit more work to do in the boot, probably just mount the battery and a quick neaten up. The floors rusted out again so it will be replaced later with a TF/TG rear.

Bonnet and scoop, just painted matt black with a can.

The under side of the scoop, not so pretty but it's the race car.

#Turbocoupe75
Turbocoupe75
Long Term Member

Post by Turbocoupe75 »

OK now the Red coupe,

VZ indicators will replace the originals, as well as GTS flutes and some changes to the front sheet metal work. Don't ask about the dent in the panel, it was straight until it fell off the car gggrrrrrr.

#Turbocoupe75
Turbocoupe75
Long Term Member

Post by Turbocoupe75 »

Blue Coupe Update.

I have now mostly fitted the remote shifter, just a little more metal fab to fill in the trans tunnel. I also had to shorten the hand brake by 2" to clear the shifter. A few other mods will be the 1" Master cylinder, Willwood brake proportioning valve, B&M line locker, kill switch and some new brake and fuel lines thanks to a little accident with the angle grinder.
Hopefully Mr Rudds bonus will help me get my seat and harness in time for the first hill climb.

Remote shifter and Custom Alloy Gear Knob

1" master cylinder

Prop valve

Modified brake reservoir

VT alternator and blanking plate for the turbo motor

A before shot and hopefully in 12 days there will be a few after shots ;)

#Turbocoupe75
Turbocoupe75
Long Term Member

Post by Turbocoupe75 »

Monday, Day 1 of a seven day build, I have filled in the trans tunnel after i have fitted the remote shifter and have mounted the line locker and proportioning valve. I also finished wiring the line locker up to the demister switch, relay and a warning light.
Tomorrow I will be removing the engine, welding in the trans tunnel properly. If I get time I will also remove all the front panels and engine bay parts to clean up before spraying.

#Turbocoupe75
Turbocoupe75
Long Term Member

Post by Turbocoupe75 »

Day 2, first 1/2 was a write off as i had to go out to lunch, anyway I have removed the motor and 99% of the bits from the engine bay. The rust on the battery tray wasn't too bad but there were some unexpected surprises under the heater fan :twisted: :twisted: ,pics say 1000 words....

SO tomorrow I will cut out more rust, straighten out the boot a bit more, remove the wiring from the engine bay and maybe even weld some metal back in :D :D

#Turbocoupe75
Turbocoupe75
Long Term Member

Post by Turbocoupe75 »

Velo GPX90 XL Race Seat :D :D :D (ADR & FIA approved)

I got this on Friday from AUTOSPORT on Magill Road, they are re opening soon (Monday I think) with new owners. I would Highly recommend them for sales and service, especially for race equipment like performance air filters shock absorbers, brake components and lots of other goodies.

http://www.autosportdirect.com.au/index.htm

#Turbocoupe75
Turbocoupe75
Long Term Member

Post by Turbocoupe75 »

Not as much done as I would have liked, Playstation and Beer got in the way a little bit ;) ;) Hope fully this week the rest of the engine bay rust will go as well as the lower sill panels between the front 1/4s and the doors will get fixed too.

Still lots of grinding and welding to go but I should be ready to hit the engine bay with a coat of primer by the weekend.....fingers crossed as there are only a few days left until the Hill Climb.

#Turbocoupe75
Turbocoupe75
Long Term Member

Post by Turbocoupe75 »

Mmmm, I have been severely set back by working two jobs, Tafe and the other facts of life.
Any way, the engine bay is almost ready to paint and I have install the front and rear swaybar's as well as finishing all my brake and fuel lines. The Velo seat was installed onto original Gemini seat rails but I hope to change this in the future so I can mount the seat a couple of inches lower for some more head clearance.

Unfortunately I am working 7 days a week for the next 8 weeks :x and will have little time for the Gem and be unable to go racing until late May, hopefully i will get some work done and get on the track soon.

#Turbocoupe75
Turbocoupe75
Long Term Member

Post by Turbocoupe75 »

Just a quick update on how the "BLUE" Gem is slowly coming along!
I'm in the process of painting the bay and have just finished all the engine bay rust repairs. I am going to paint in in "evoke" GMH color acrylic paint which is a gun metal grey. After the bay is painted I can work on installing the engine, fuel system and brakes.

Would have loved to do a bit more spray painting this weekend but im pretty sure it's not a good idea to spray when it's 48 degrees inside the shed. 8-)
Hope fully I might get the spray putty done one week night and some more sanding and acrylic primer on by the end of the week. :P

#Turbocoupe75
Turbocoupe75
Long Term Member

Post by Turbocoupe75 »

Update time...
Well I have the engine bay coated in "evoke pearl grey" but i have a sneaking suspicion that the colours were mixed incorrectly, the paint has a dark red hue though it but it still looks ok to me. It's the first engine bay or anything i have painted and i have only given it 1 and 1/2 coats of paint to save time and $$$. I'm reasonably happy with the quality as it's the race car and now I can start installing all the goodies and get a step closer to the race track :D :D :D

#Turbocoupe75
Turbocoupe75
Long Term Member

Post by Turbocoupe75 »

Update again... The Jigsaw is getting close to complete, I just have to remember where all the pieces went..... : P

#Turbocoupe75
Turbocoupe75
Long Term Member

Post by Turbocoupe75 »

Up date:
So the motor is in and I am in the process of hooking up all the other bit's and pieces to the motor. So far so good, just lots of little things to do :P

Line locker and proportioning valve for the rear disc brakes

Parcel shelf with aluminum sheeting and holes welded up

Harness mounts and reinforcing plates

#Turbocoupe75
Turbocoupe75
Long Term Member

Post by Turbocoupe75 »

Hmm got some more s*#t to post up, haven't had allot of spare time lately with the lad keeping me occupied, and as the missus keeps reminding me it's "his" race car.
I'm hoping to get it ready for the come and try motokana at Monarto on the 20th, I might also see some flying pigs on the way there.

pics = 1000 words

(bonus points for any one who spots the start switch!!!)

#Turbocoupe75