Coupes- Post pics of all the coupes around - 56K warning

This Forum is here for each member to post pics of his/her Gemini’s. Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
dbart1961
Long Term Member

Post by dbart1961 »

My 2/75 TX
Regards, Dave
tobytj
Long Term Member

Post by tobytj »

2/75 must have been a good month for coupes
dbart1961
Long Term Member

Post by dbart1961 »

Yours too I gather?
Pre-release.
I still reckon they were imported. Mine has all the jap stickers on the inside of the bonnet still. No reference to Holden.
What about yours?
Regards, Dave
SHEEL

Post by SHEEL »

from what I have heard over the years they were imported.

Story I have been told was Holden brought about 1000 in to the country as a pilot program to see how they would sell... the small car market at the time was a bit on an unknown apparantly, back then it was all about massive barges with huge v8's.

obviously they sold all the imports no problems then decided to start making them locally.
Allcoupedup
n00b

Post by Allcoupedup »

hey guys i posted this in the SA section before finding this. can someone host pics for me, ive got a TX coupe id like to share.
cdoy

Post by cdoy »

i got a coupe gemni 2 ....a very powerful car
666gem
Regular

Post by 666gem »

it wasent the first 1000
from what i found during my time at holden was that it was the first 600 coupes
holden dident have the machine to bend the roofs at first so they imported 600 to see if they would sell before buy the machine from isuzu to make the roofs.
you can tell if yours is an imported one by the front seats bolt to the floor instead off the litle raisers the later ones had.

anyone have better info?
im pretty shore of these facts my second coupe was an imported one
tx coupe project car
now goung on 6 years one day i will have the time to finnish it
Now where did that spell check button thing me bob go
www.bitchmakemeasandwich.com
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

Sorry dude, but thats not the way it happened. Ive got articles on the geminis development, same issue as when it won Wheels car of the year.

The first 600 were imported fully assembled as Holden hadnt got the production line up and running yet. It was intended as a toe-in-the-water sorta thing, but because of how quickly they sold they had to pull there finger out and get the production line going.

The first 600 "imports" are identified by a black engine bay and japanese stickers under the bonnet instead of english. The seat-mounts-through-floor thing is on all Pre-ADR27A TX's including those assembled here. The seat mounts were changed as a running change [ie changed while the car is still released] however they made the switch when the ADR27A rules came in [what i refer to as TXII - non pre-EPA TX's].

As for the roof-bending thing, didnt happen. Geminis arrived in CKD-Form. Complete Knock Down. Basically, big jigsaw puzzle, everything ready to go, assembled on holdens line. That means roof, floors etc were all pre-stamped.
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
Camo_03
n00b

Post by Camo_03 »

noiseboy7 wrote:Image

f*#k YEAHH!!
pfffft i got a bigger engine in my go kart.......... :?
I'D HIT THAT.......(WITH MY CAR) :)

RIDES:
1999 HOLDEN RODEO
1999 HOLDEN VT COMMODORE
2004 HOLDEN VY SS COMMODORE
2005 HOLDEN VZ MALOO ( THE BEST ONE )
2005 FORD BA XR8 UTE 312.1RWKW I STILL THINK ITS A SLUG THOUGH!
dbart1961
Long Term Member

Post by dbart1961 »

GeminiCoupe wrote:Sorry dude, but thats not the way it happened. Ive got articles on the geminis development, same issue as when it won Wheels car of the year.

The first 600 were imported fully assembled as Holden hadnt got the production line up and running yet. It was intended as a toe-in-the-water sorta thing, but because of how quickly they sold they had to pull there finger out and get the production line going.

The first 600 "imports" are identified by a black engine bay and japanese stickers under the bonnet instead of english. The seat-mounts-through-floor thing is on all Pre-ADR27A TX's including those assembled here. The seat mounts were changed as a running change [ie changed while the car is still released] however they made the switch when the ADR27A rules came in [what i refer to as TXII - non pre-EPA TX's].

As for the roof-bending thing, didnt happen. Geminis arrived in CKD-Form. Complete Knock Down. Basically, big jigsaw puzzle, everything ready to go, assembled on holdens line. That means roof, floors etc were all pre-stamped.
Interesting. Mine had the black engine bay, jap stickers on the bonnet but the guys on here claim that they were never imported. Are you sure of your facts and is there somewhere that can clarify this as I reckon mine is an import as well. The only thing that is strange is it has an Aussie ADR plate and I would have expected to see "made in Japan" somewhere on it.
Regards, Dave
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

Ive got the Wheels articles somewhere upstairs, send me a pm to remind me to take a photo of em and post it up. Will have to dig it up as theres a fair few lol.

Like i said, black engine bay and jap stickers = imported assembled. The ADR plate was required for reg - cars like the Lancer, Civic etc were always fully imported and they had to go through the same process as well.

Not sure what the go is with the chassis numbers, ATX meant Adelaide, BTX meant Brisbane but f*#cked if i know what they wrote on the imports as they wouldnt have been stamped until they arrived and were fitted with Aus plates as far as i know.
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
dbart1961
Long Term Member

Post by dbart1961 »

GeminiCoupe wrote:Ive got the Wheels articles somewhere upstairs, send me a pm to remind me to take a photo of em and post it up. Will have to dig it up as theres a fair few lol.

Like i said, black engine bay and jap stickers = imported assembled. The ADR plate was required for reg - cars like the Lancer, Civic etc were always fully imported and they had to go through the same process as well.

Not sure what the go is with the chassis numbers, ATX meant Adelaide, BTX meant Brisbane but f*#cked if i know what they wrote on the imports as they wouldnt have been stamped until they arrived and were fitted with Aus plates as far as i know.
Hey mate. I just scored all 12 issues of Wheels mags 1975 off Ebay and have started going through the articles on the Gemini but have failed to find anything about them being imported.
Maybe you could tel me which issue.
Thanks
Regards, Dave
DryftKult
Long Term Member

Post by DryftKult »

lukes_tg
Regular

Post by lukes_tg »

fuuckk yerr ^^

t3/t4 haltech powered forged 4ze1 gemini in the build
tinny