IPRA Coupe Race Car Project

This Forum is here for each member to post pics of his/her Gemini’s. Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
chrishrt30
n00b

IPRA Coupe Race Car Project

Post by chrishrt30 »

Thought some of you guys might be interested in my race car build. I brought the car as a log booked hill clmib car about a year ago. It came with an Isuzu G180w twin cam with an Isuzu 4 speed. The car was missing a lot of parts, so a "small" build began.

One yaer later and the car is now being built to IPRA regulations. At the monet I have a 2lt Toyota 3sge (with a Holden Apollo block) bolted up to a Supra W55 gearbox. Unfortunately the car is an early model TX with a ridiculously narrow transmission tunnel. Hours of panel beating went into it to get the gearbox to fit, no cutting allowed.

I removed the Piazza front brakes and am now in the process of fitting RX7 4pot calipers with BLuebird rotors, all bolted up to the Piazza hubs.

THe car didn't have any rear brakes, so I've fitted up some Commodore calipers and rotors.

I've modified the front sub-frame and now have approximately 7degrees of camber at a ride height of 100mm. THe rear has had the standard pan-hard mounts removed and I've made new mounts with roll center adjustment. At the moment the RC is way too low, so more work is required. Originally the car had a rough watts link fitted. I'm sticking with the standard diff at the moment, just going to lock the axles, but will eventually invest some time into making something a bit better.

Race Fabraications have just finished my roll cage for me and have done a fantastic job. It'll be one of hte stiffest Gemini's getting around.

The car when i first picked it up.

The 3sge going in with the W55 gearbox.

The RX7 calipers mock mounted with the bluebird rotors.
Could have gone bigger on the rotors, but the things were getting damn heavy as it was.

Machining the rear rotors.

Rear rotors and calipers fitted.

Pedals mounted.

Front suspension all done and cambered up.

Making the rear pan-hard bar and mounts.

Scaffolding all finished, Fabraications did a great job.

Still lots of work to do, but I've been pretty lucky that the car was straight and fairly rust free. It was originally log booked way back in 1995, so its been a track car for a good portion of its life.
Last edited by chrishrt30 on Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BackToTheGem
Regular

Post by BackToTheGem »

Looks good mate. How much more power do you think you'll get out of the 3s compared to the g180w? I know 3s heads flow 250hp or something silly stock.
S15 Silvia - Daily
KZN130 Surf - Bush Toy
TX Sedan - Gemini heaven (aka Elky's)
TX Coupe - Now we're on!!
TE Cortina - Stock mint condition
Toyota 86 GTS - Due September 1st
MGOTD
Regular

Post by MGOTD »

this is a early 3sge not the gen 5 Beams 3sge (Altezza, Caldina gt) (just incase people get confused), should still make decent power though

looks good mate

Cheers
BackToTheGem
Regular

Post by BackToTheGem »

Yeah beems look totally different. I thought f1sh had his early 3s head in his coupe flowed at 250hp without any port work though? Might be getting mixed up with the beems though.
S15 Silvia - Daily
KZN130 Surf - Bush Toy
MGOTD
Regular

Post by MGOTD »

yeah i remember fish had a gen 3 i think in his car can't remember head flow figures.....i'm interested in seeing the engine mounts for this one :)
vinesy92
Regular

Post by vinesy92 »

Looking good.

Why did you not stick with the twincam isuzu engine?
TC Sandpiper Coupe - G180W 5sp
chrishrt30
n00b

Post by chrishrt30 »

Thanks for the feed back on the car.

The 3sge head is a Gen2 head. I went for the Toyota over the Isuzu because the twin cam Isuzu's appear to be a lot harder to get parts for. The Toyota engine is pretty common and go fast bit are easy to find.

I've got a Adaptronic ECM for it already and am looking around for a set of individual throttles for it. I got a get of early GSXR throttles, but accidentally got the wrong year, only 40mm diameter, the following year had 45mm throats.

I've also heard of the Toyota head being able to produce 250hp power numbers on the stock head as well, but engine work is still a while off.

Haven't got the mounts finished yet, currently i've hard mounted it, but will be making proper mounts eventually with bushings.
BackToTheGem
Regular

Post by BackToTheGem »

Is the g180w even legal for IPRA anyway? Was never sold in an Australian delivered Holden and technically the block is a g180s block which was never in an australian delivered Holden either.

I'm running a g180w in my coupe but I know where you're coming from with parts availability.

Good luck with it - looking forward to seeing some more updates on this coupe
S15 Silvia - Daily
KZN130 Surf - Bush Toy
elky
Gemini Master

Post by elky »

if i develop my engine we will b able to compare how the old school W compares powerwise
vn_gmh

Post by vn_gmh »

Ive got the same pedal box in my gemini but ive got it further to the left, so the clutch pedal is on the other side of the column, ive had to notch some of pedal box and dint a little of the column, but it feels comfortable for me.
MGOTD
Regular

Post by MGOTD »

So is it the 5sfe or 3sfe block?
chrishrt30
n00b

Post by chrishrt30 »

I wanted the brake close to the accelerator pedal, plus the clutch and brake aren't to far from their original position. It feels alright when sitting in the car. Pushing the seat all the way over to the tunnel hasn't helped though.

The block is a 3sfe, it has to be for IPRA regs.
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

AWESOME!!!
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw
redzone (coxy)
Long Term Member

Post by redzone (coxy) »

pm me if you still have the G180W motor bud :)
GARAGE REDZONE sunshine coast ph 07 54433507

1975 TX coupe 4ZD1 efi turbo 10.787 @ 123/128
1977 TC Fashion Pack sedan draw through turbo
1984 TG PF60E dohc Group A racecar
1984 TG Panelvan
2006 Crewman SS 6.0
elky
Gemini Master

Post by elky »

nope i already asked :cry: