First Generation Holden Astra LC

This Forum is here for each member to post pics of his/her other non Gemini related cars. Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
blue

Post by blue »

Have since done another coat of primer and applied the white! Today I will be wet sanding with 1200 grit or finer to get a nice finish, then applying the clear coat. Have also painted my front bumper and grille with a rattlecan.

Roof

Bonnet

Passenger side

Driver side

This thing sits under my front bumper (few dents that I couldn't really remove as short of time, but still better than it originally looked)

Front Bumper

Front Grille

Will post pics within the next few days when finished clear :)

Things still left to do are (in terms of paint)

- Clear coat on car and bumpers
- Spray can (black) Door trims (around window) and plastic trims around the bottom of the doors and possibly clear coat
EDIT: - Also need to paint wheels black

Overall, it's a decent enough job. Few blemishes, but overall I'm pretty happy with how it's come along so far :)
1987 Holden Astra LC.... One day, a Gemini shall be mine..
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

Keen to see the finished product man!
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw
CarnegieCustoms

Post by CarnegieCustoms »

Its cool to see another one of these astras :) my old man owned one up till about 2 years ago when he sold it to an old couple, i still see it getting around to this day!
blue

Post by blue »

Oh wow! That one looks pretty clean! Was wondering about putting speakers there... Do you know if there's much clearance/easy to do?

But yeah, they're not really that common at all!
CarnegieCustoms

Post by CarnegieCustoms »

yer the speakers sat there easy man :)
blue

Post by blue »

Sweet! Thanks. :D
blue

Post by blue »

Moved car out of the garage the other day and then looked at it about an hour later and saw fuel leaking out of the fuel cap. (a decent amount) It was parked on a hill and does have about 3/4 of a tank so I think either the fuel cap is dodgy, but I have a suspicion it's the valve thing that you open whenever you put fuel in? (unsure of name). Any ideas? I mean at this stage on flat ground it's fine, just on a hill, just leaks out. It's annoying because it's discoloured my new paintjob :(

EDIT: Photos!

Paint damage surrounding fuel cap

I still need to touch up a lot of areas as some of the masking was a bit dodgy (wet sanding + masking tape and newspaper = fail) but I shall touch it up and repaint some areas with an aerosol can, including inside the doors etc. Also plan on re doing interior black at one stage.

Not yet finished, but here's how it looks at the moment:

Driver's side:

Front:

Passenger side 1:

Passenger side 2:

Rear:

I'm liking how it looks at the moment, kinda like a very mildy glossy matte white of sorts.. Makes me not want to buff it. :D
blue

Post by blue »

Door trim, wheels, handles and other random trims painted black now! Also fitted the front grill and bumpers. Car is looking somewhat complete now. Please ignore my crappy masking job and getting black paint all over my white... It'll buff out. ;)

Front

Rear

The apparently not so good masking job..

All blacked out

Stockies painted black
blue

Post by blue »

Started work on the clutch with a few mates giving a hand here and there, hit a bit of a snag when one of my mates went all incredible hulk on a bolt and ended up stripping it, and being pretty tight to start with, there's no real hope of getting it off now. Can't really progress as need to get the driveshafts out and that one bolt is stopping me from doing so. Have to wait till sometime next week to borrow my mates angle grinder to try get the bolt off, hopefully without damaging the thread..

Not the best picture, but you can hopefully see it.

Got a little bored, so decided to paint a few random things red with some heat resistant paint. Painted tow hooks and exhaust. Doesn't look too bad.. Might change my mind on the exhaust and just black it in the future.

Started taking my doors off today as I want to fix my driver's side door not shutting properly, I think it needs some adjustment. And I also want to paint inside the doors etc so it's all pretty uniform. Might start doing some random interior pieces black if I have enough time as I may as well while the car is off the road.

Also, it's amazing what you can do with a random metal thing and a coathanger.

blue

Post by blue »

Still waiting on a day off where I can borrow my mates angle grinder, so work on the clutch has stopped.. However, needed something to do during the day today, so started to strip my interior out. Got everything out except two small panels and the dash as I ran out of time before work.

Big box of interior goodies

Weight reduction +10

Used a crowbar as a interior trim pin remover ;D

blue

Post by blue »

Hey guys, been a while since the last update, done a few things, progress is slow though. Pretty much all the interior parts are painted (black) except for the dash and a few other small things, all needs to go back in soon.

Carpet was laid down today, did an okay job I think, not bad for me and mate who have never laid down carpet before in our lives :D.

Also painted the inside of the doors, inside of the boot lining as well.

Pictures below!

Old carpet out

And I almost feel I get into the habit of putting something in my posts which is kind of improvisational? Not sure if that's a word. But I thought, hey, what can I lay under the carpet? Underlay was pretty expensive, so I cut up some old camping mats and glued them down with some aerosol adhesive, seemed to work pretty well!

Carpet in!

Doors, other side is painted too, just no room for picture

Boot

Will try do some midnight mechanic work tonight and get a lot of the interior stuff painted up and put back in.

Also have a lot of excess carpet, as I went to Bunnings to buy 3.5M x 2M and the Supervisor there ended up rolling about 4.2M out and couldn't be bothered to roll it back up so he just gave me that for the same price :D. Will do up some floor mats for the rear seats (have some rubber ones for the front). Also want to carpet a parcel shelf in the future, which will act as somewhat of a false floor, which if it works, should be pretty sweet. :)
LOK15
Gemini Master

Post by LOK15 »

little tip for when you buff it..

grab some 1000 wet n dry , use a bit of soap on the paper to help stop it clogging. rub a small patch till on an angle it looks flat and shiny , then get some light cutting compound ( ive found T cut is pretty good , and cheap ) and hand buff that little spot till it gleams.. this will give you motivation to get the whole car looking like that 1 spot.

And supercheap sell angle grinders for $25 , best investment evah!!!
Getting too old for this s*#t!!
blue

Post by blue »

Cheers for the advice! Good idea to hand buff the whole car? Or is it better to use a buffer, I'm not really concerned about the time taken as I'll just spend a whole day on it realistically, just thought that a buffer might yield better results? And yeah, I should probably invest in one!
LOK15
Gemini Master

Post by LOK15 »

buffers can burn the paint, especially on corners. I used to hand buff all my cars , nowadays i do use a machine buff , but still like that hand finish.
Getting too old for this s*#t!!
blue

Post by blue »

Ah okay fair enough, knowing me, I'll probably eat through the paint... Hand buff it is!