The Zed

This Forum is here for each member to post pics of his/her other non Gemini related cars. Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
SHEEL

The Zed

Post by SHEEL »

Hey guys,

got a new project:

Its a great project start.

HZ Kingswood, 202, traumatic.

NO rust in the plenum on the driver side. A tiny 5cent hole on the passenger side. Tiny hole at the bottom of the windscreen on the same side. Passenger front door has rust at the bottom on the skin only. A half skin repair section should take care of that.

Got a Prem front and decent bumpers sitting inside it. All the chrome trims are in the boot.

Rear drivers side quarter is a concern, it has a bit of a ding right on the body line (you can just see it in the pics) which is going to be a pain to get straight. I'm going to try to get it as straight as possible with hammer/slapstick/dolly so I hopefully won't need much filler.

Plans are to tidy up the body and give it new paint. I've done a little painting over the years so I'm going to have a crack at my first complete respray in the garage at home. Not sure of colour yet. I'm thinking either the original Gold with a touch more flake in it. Or Maybe changing it to Mediterranian Blue.
I'm really undecided on the colour to tell the truth. I really want a period correct colour on one hand, but most colours in that era are either really dull, or really bright! I kind of want something that stands out, but is still classy at the same time. Any suggestions for colour would be welcome...

It's got no interior so I'm thinking get some seats/trims and send it off to the trimmer for a new chamios vinyl makeover. Then I want to put black dash and carpet. going to try to get it as cloase as I can to a factory look prem interior.

Initially I'll lower it on the stock rims and chrome trims, later I might put some welds or convos or something like that on it.

Driveline will be just the standard 202 for a while, then I might do an ls1 conversion after its on the road. Just going to put club reg on it.
ratrod66
Regular

Post by ratrod66 »

nice, my parents had one the same colour, ( it was called burnt orange i think) back when i was growing up, loved it, when done right they have a real tuff look.

i think going the same colour would be good, or a slight twist to it, add a pearl to it to make it stand out from the rest......

looking forward to seeing the build up of this, once again, nice find. :D
1978 TD wagon "project"
1980 TE Sedan "parts car/for sale"
SHEEL

Post by SHEEL »

Contessa Gold I believe it is...

I was thinking same colour with bigger flake and maybe a gold pearl to really make it pop in the sun
ratrod66
Regular

Post by ratrod66 »

SHEEL wrote:Contessa Gold I believe it is...

I was thinking same colour with bigger flake and maybe a gold pearl to really make it pop in the sun

Yeah the gold pearl should do it for sure
1978 TD wagon "project"
1980 TE Sedan "parts car/for sale"
Holden202T
Regular

Post by Holden202T »

VHT Engine Paint comes in "universal gold" too ;)
SHEEL

Post by SHEEL »

Righto well I got a few hours on it over the weekend... started the process of stripping it back to find more surprises! well... we all know that on many of these old things someone has had a go before us... so I knida knew there would be something lurking under this paint. the important thing is I knew any repairs would only have been small. It definately is not a bog monster.

First discovery is no surprise. Small amount of rust on the lower rear drivers side quarter. Also theere is some light damage around where the bumper/tail light/body line all intersect. I'm going to need to massage it with the hammer and dolly for a few hours to get it mostly back into place then a small amount of bog to sculpt it into perfection! These pics pretty much just show what I'm starting with.

I also picked up a new bonnet as the old one has been opened too far and bent at the rear corners, plus the front guards are a bit knocked around so I got a passenger one, still deciding if I will try to save the drivers side or just find a replacement.

pics:
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

That quarter panel is going to be a c*#t to get straight on the crease line! Always loved these; would love a HQ but finding one that doesnt resemble swiss cheese aint easy.

As for colours, seen these?

http://gallery.oldholden.com/Mr_Jones/Paint+Colours/

Although it looks similar to Contessa, according to this youve got dynasty gold. Either way, id be going original colour....as much as i hate Contessa.

If i had to change, my choice would be either Aztec Silver

or

Hacienda blue off the HX

Give me a pm if your thinking about silver....ive got a 4l tin of Baroda Silver [HQ colour] that ill lob ya cheap if you want.
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
SHEEL

Post by SHEEL »

Yeh it looks like contessa is a HJ-HX colour whilst HZ is the Dynasty gold... just doing a google search it looks like dynasty is just a tiiiiiny bit lighter? could maybe be the same colour just different name?

Just priced it up today, I think I'm going to go the Dynasty Gold with a heavier metal flake, plus 10% gold pearl mixed in to the colour. I want it to look original at first glance but with some more pop in the sunlight.
TURGEM
Long Term Member

Post by TURGEM »

Hey sheel I have a WB statesman Deville... its gold very similar but is metalic its an original color its called "Sandlewood"

May be just what your looking for cuz your wanting some metallic and its from the same time as the HZ and it does have a very slight pearl to it...

If I had to repaint this it would be the same color or something very close to the anodised blue you see on braided line fittings, the HZ's have a fair bit of chrome just like the WB and the Sandlewood color does it justice very well...

And no im not selling it, was my first car and will be my last! 8) 8)
(to this day it still turns heads backwards)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Thats Right Im a Long Term Member
WASTEGATES - WASTE 8S
IF YOU WANNA FLY, GIVE IT MORE P.S.I 8)
Holden202T
Regular

Post by Holden202T »

my dad used to have a HZ in gold, it looked sooo good that colour :lol:
SHEEL

Post by SHEEL »

Took the day off work yesterday to go to a few wreckers and also go to the paint shop to get primer, kbr (por15) and a massive amount of sandpaper (yay for sanding!)

anyway after driving round half the city I came home and spent a couple of hours on the car:

I didn't do any panel beating on this today, just a progress shot. It's looking slightly better than when I started but still needs a lot of work!

SHEEL

Post by SHEEL »

Well I took friday off last week so I could spend 4 days working on the car, ended up only getting 2 days on it! other things got in the way... oh well.

It is progressing steadily but I have ran into a few problems which maybe some of you guys can give your opinions and advice on... mainly concerning welding repair sections into large panel areas. The 2 I've done so far I'm really dissapointed with and I'm hoping to try something different maybe for the other 2 I have planned.
The sections I am yet to attack is an LPG filler in the passenger rear quarter and the passenger front door needs a lower skin section.

any for now here is the current progress:

Continuing on from last week here is the rust repair behind the rear drivers side wheel arch:

It looks fantastic to this point but it's far from perfect. The whole panel had major stresses through it due to what appeared to be minor damage around the tail light and bumper recess. I think this damage had already caused massive ripples through the entire guard. right up to the wheel arch, then on top of that I went welding at the bottom, which has really pulled the metal tight in some areas, so now there are a lot of highs and lows... As will become evident with the amount of filler going on in the next few pics....It's probably looks worse than it is, I'd say no section of bog is any more than 2mm deep. But any bog at all is a concern in 10+ years, who knows how much it could shrink or expand under the paint...

I'm really happy with this area, I got it really close to perfect just using hammer / dolly and a brick bolster as some people suggested on here... worked an absolute treat! this small amount of filler here is just to fill the fine hammer marks, probably 0.5mm deep if that... really happy with this part.

and here is where it gets ugly....

Above the body line is pretty good though, which is a relief. At least the problem area is down low...

The area above the body line has 2 low spots which I think I will be able to get flat with hi fill primer...

progress isn't very pretty!

Now the next problem area, this time the front quarter. It had a deep ding in it intially, I thought at the time this ding had stretched the metal too much and was going to be better off just cutting it out and welding a repair section in.
Turns out this was wrong. Welding made far more of a mess.... massive warping from the heat, I had wet rags and air blowing on it, welding in smail 5-10 second bursts then walking away, coming back a few minutes later...But still no good...
this warping was quite deep and I'm ashamed to say that the filler here is possibly 3-4mm deep in the worst areas. Not cool.

I'll continue to try to "sculpt" the guard into shape but if I find a good replacement guard this one will get the flick.

Here is the section cut out:

pinched a new section from the passenger guard which is no good anyway and is being replaced

YUKKKK:
TURGEM
Long Term Member

Post by TURGEM »

you rekon the sheet metal used on the kingswood is thicker than the gemini...

Reason I ask is ive been using a wreck gem for sheetmetal when I need it... Ive just started stripping down my hilux because the floor pans are rotted, and I also have a f'd kingswood in the backyard and wanted to know if you think its thicker or can confirm ill just hack into the kingswood for sheetmetal.
WASTEGATES - WASTE 8S
SHEEL

Post by SHEEL »

Definately feels thicker/heavier.

Apparantly most Jap cars and modern cars are 0.8mm thick

older Aus and Yank cars are 1.0mm

I reckon this would be true for the Kingswood
TURGEM
Long Term Member

Post by TURGEM »

sweet thanks for the speedy reply...

let me know if you need any bits and bobs for your Zed, as its a complete car but its just rotted out
WASTEGATES - WASTE 8S