Reliant Robin.

This Forum is here for each member to post pics of his/her other non Gemini related cars. Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
Danman
Danmother

Reliant Robin.

Post by Danman »

My girlfriend and I are in the UK for a year and a bit. We decided to buy a car over here. I was firstly going to get a gemini equivalent (Chevette or Kadett C), they were too expensive/full of rust. So I started browsing other UK vehicles, minis, land rovers etc. Then when I was looking at these 3 wheeled cars on the internet Heather came in and fell in love with the idea...

So we bought this (hope these pics work, linked them straight from facebook):

Edit: Damn it facebook, you've changed, you used to be cool.
Here is the facebook page for the car: http://www.Facebook.com/ReliantAdventures
Last edited by Danman on Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
GEMWRC
Long Term Member

Re: Reliant Robin.

Post by GEMWRC »

LOL was this particular one on TopGear . I remember the episode with a small club meeting and Jeremy arrives and rolls it in front of them .. Im sure a Starsky and Hutch copy was in that episode somewhere
Drive safe buddy .
Danman
Danmother

Post by Danman »

I know the one you mean but this isn't it. This is the very rare and not much sought after "silly boot" model. Most models have a much more useful tail gate.
As with all Reliant 3 wheeler owners we are obliged to hate Jeremy Clarkson after that episode. We were told this at the Reliant get together. Pics of that to come soon!
Danman
Danmother

Post by Danman »

It's actually a "Reliant Rialto" because Reliant changed the name for a few years, but everyone calls them Robins, it's just easier.
Painted Starsky and hutch style, with sparkles! It has an 850cc engine, fibreglass body and galvanised chassis. Seems like some good idea's there, not too much rust worries, lightweight, economical etc. But 3 wheels is not the best idea.

It needed some work to make it more reliable, changed oil and filter, spark plugs, new dizzy cap and rotor arm, air filter and cleaned out radiator. Now it seems happy. Except for hot starting, which apparently is just what they do...

Took it to Snetterton race track to see the cars from the film "Rush", doing some filming for a tv show with Martin Brundle (ex formula 1 driver)

Went for a day trip to the beach in Hunstanton:
Stopped off in Gayton, Jonno's home town and threw the fag hand.
Jonno's fave hang out spot.
Last edited by Danman on Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danman
Danmother

Post by Danman »

It is actually pretty stable around corners, leaning into the corners helps too. When you really have to be careful is in high winds! It's square sides and only one front wheel makes it easily pushed around the road by crosswinds. Had the most scary drive of my life taking a friend to the train station in 25 knot winds.
The brakes aren't great either. Non-boosted drum brakes all round, again having a single front wheel adds to this issue.

The Reliant gathering in Tamworth (this town is named after our country music capital), this is where Reliants were made.

They also made four wheelers, this is called a Kitten:

Imitating a Gemini get together; they have a dog called Gemma, in the background an engine being fitted and a Canberra Gemini club jumper being put on:

The Fox Tandy camper, Reliant make the cutest ute called a Fox and then a company called Tandy (named after our electronics shops) fit a camper to it.
A Fox:

Bought a jacket to match the car, nah I've had it for years. Note the Starsky and Hutch DVD displayed in the window:

They also made a sporty thing called a Scimitar:

Again imitating a gemini get together:
Holden202T
Regular

Post by Holden202T »

looks like your getting stuck right into the car scene over there!!

I just can't seem to look at a car properly that has no front wheel arch hehehe
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower!!
Danman
Danmother

Post by Danman »

I'll add some pictures of cars with front wheel arches then, from an Opel and Vauxhall get together that I took the Reliant to. They loved the Reliant, I may have laughed a little at some of their choices of cars.
The car scene here is very different, they love "hot hatches", I think because their streets are so narrow. They do up Barinas (Corsas) and Astras and other tiny engined front wheel drive cars...

There was one Kadett C coupe and a Chevette hatch and a Firenza which I'd never heard of but it was awesome! The Kadett had a C20XE engine in it, which comes from Astras and other front wheel drive cars. Seems a popular choice of engine. Note also the brake booster facing upwards, I've forgotten which car he said that comes from, but it's a complete unit with the brake pedal attached, with a little bit of modding it can bolt on there. Tried to upload a close up but imageshack is not functioning, so here are pics from facebook again:

Chevette:
Reliant in the background!

Firenza:

Some other thing I forgot the name of, nice guy owned it. Has a really cool looonnngg back window (pictures don't do it justice). This car, despite being much bigger and heavier, shares the same 1256cc engine as they got in the Chevette:

In the UK the police don't pull you up if you're car is too low or looks modified. They figure if you're spending money on your car then you will probably not want it to crash and will therefore not be making it a danger on the road. If you change the motor then you should get a mechanic to sign off on it saying it won't fall out or something.
Makes our police really sound like nazis! Although with the common "done up" car over here being a 1.2 Barina or similar, how much danger can you get into?
This guy said police usually just laugh at him, the car was basically on the ground:

The guy that owned this racing Astra was telling me about his trips to the Nurburgring, he thinks it would be fine to take the Reliant around it, we may have a chance to do this next year around September :D
When he drove off there was a fair bit of smoke, one of the guys explained he has no oil rings on his pistons for reduced friction? Seems like a strange idea.

I've got more pictures from this meet too if anyone wants to see them?
The meet was organised by the facebook group "Opel Fruits", some really cool pictures on there.
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

Gayest car on OzGemini since someone advertised that exa you bought.

Exa = gay
Reliant robin = gay.

Evidence is there
Danman = Gay

Better tell Heather and come home.
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw
Danman
Danmother

Post by Danman »

You know you're jealous. Even you could pick up chicks in the Reliant ;)

Now that my Gemini is all EFI-ed and turboed I am gonna drive it around for a bit before making it prettier, so the Exa is next on the to do list when I get back to Aus. I know you will be jealous of it too, it has had a few top secret additions (and some subtractions) that will make you excited.
And it has cool diagonal stripey tail lights! How can that be gay!?!
Danman
Danmother

Post by Danman »

Heather and I also went to Reliant Robin racing at Norfolk arena.

They were basically the comedy act between the serious stock car races. They were cool! They rolled so much. A lot of fibreglass cleaning up was required after every one of their races :D

There are more pictures and videos on my facebook, but as it was night time they aren't that great, let me know if you want to see them.
Danman
Danmother

Post by Danman »

It passed it's MOT (rego check). I had spent a fair bit of time getting it ready, it was extremely clean and all the lights worked! The place I took it to dealt mostly with DAF trucks, but are also the only place in town to MOT 3 wheelers!
This is the underground carpark where it has lived for most of the winter months. Working in here really made me miss my garage. Please note how flipping clean the car is. :D

Great ramp setup, the front wheel was chocked onto a platform that the car then pushed along the ramps!

Also the girlfriend had spotted our cars exact double when she was just slightly out of town. So last weekend we dropped in on our way to Birmingham and had a chat. The lady owner bought the car last September and plans on fixing it up and taking it to shows. On the drive home it had blown it's radiator and hadn't moved since. We told her about our parts supplier.
It's amazing how these two very similar cars came to be living in such close proximity. It's even the same "silly boot" model! Doesn't have the sparkles like ours does though ;)
redzone (coxy)
Long Term Member

Post by redzone (coxy) »

Dude! Should have bought a widebody Starion or evo 3 & brought it back here! You'd make heaps of $$. Reliant is cool though don't get me wrong. I assume you'll be bringing it back as a personal import?
GARAGE REDZONE sunshine coast ph 07 54433507

1975 TX coupe 4ZD1 efi turbo 10.787 @ 123/128
1977 TC Fashion Pack sedan draw through turbo
1984 TG PF60E dohc Group A racecar
1984 TG Panelvan
2006 Crewman SS 6.0
Danman
Danmother

Post by Danman »

Haha you sure do love your Starions. We are looking into bringing this back, have just asked another company for a quote. If you have any ideas on how to do this cheaply we'd love to hear it. At the moment it looks like it is going to be way too expensive to bring it back :(
It's very small and light, I was thinking of befriending some rich person with a medium sized yacht...

Or buy a Starion and another Reliant (or two) and toss them all in one crate and spread the cost out?
redzone (coxy)
Long Term Member

Post by redzone (coxy) »

I'll talk to my mate, see if he can give any pointers
GARAGE REDZONE sunshine coast ph 07 54433507

1975 TX coupe 4ZD1 efi turbo 10.787 @ 123/128
1977 TC Fashion Pack sedan draw through turbo
1984 TG PF60E dohc Group A racecar
1984 TG Panelvan
2006 Crewman SS 6.0
Danman