Reliant Robin.

This Forum is here for each member to post pics of his/her other non Gemini related cars. Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Re: Reliant Robin.

Post by Jonno »

redzone (coxy) wrote:Dude! Should have bought a widebody Starion or evo 3 & brought it back here! You'd make heaps of $$

^^^^^^^^THIS ^^^^^^^
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw
Danman
Danmother

Post by Danman »

Jonno wrote:
redzone (coxy) wrote:Dude! Should have bought a widebody Starion or evo 3 & brought it back here! You'd make heaps of $$
^^^^^^^^THIS ^^^^^^^
haha, they aren't very British though... Also a widebody sounds dangerous as the streets here are stupidly narrow, people park on the side of the road making it even narrower, and everyone over here just drives like mad! It's scary riding in something made of fibreglass, but at least it's narrow!
Danman
Danmother

Post by Danman »

Haha I can't believe I am defending it! I am becoming one of the people we met at the Reliant gathering! Being tiny is a feature! :lol:
It was bought as an eye catching joke car, it does that very well. Safety is definitely not it's strong point...
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

LMAO this is gold.

Bring to skidpan. Do it.
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
Danman
Danmother

Post by Danman »

lol skidpan would be interesting...

Some other car that looked similar to ours, but lacked our cool starsky and hutch stripe:

Next to a field of what we call "Canola" but what the english call "Rape"... Seriously! A field of rape...
Danman
Danmother

Post by Danman »

We are hoping to travel the whole length of the UK mainland. The main points to reach are "Land's End" (the south-westerly point) and John o'Groats (the north easterly point).
We have made it to Land's End! Tonight we are staying in a hotel at "Wookey hole" lol.

Here's some more pictures:
Land's End

The most southerly point of UK Mainland, Lizard point. Thought we should be thorough and go to the most southerly point as well as Land's End.

Cool picture in front of Portland Bill lighthouse. Nice colour choices.

Here is a pic of our engine bay

Twin spark setup! The ballast resistor died so I put in a coil that doesn't need a ballast resistor, couldn't be bothered removing the old one (as I'd just spent days working on the car prior to the ballast resistor dying)

Overflow recovery bottle I made from a popcorn container. For no apparent reason Reliant chose to fit recovery radiator caps without an overflow bottle, this meant I had to keep filling the radiator after every medium length trip. Got tired of doing that.
Holden202T
Regular

Post by Holden202T »

nice country side! and plenty of fun under the bonnet by the looks!
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower!!
DrewZa86
Regular

Post by DrewZa86 »

danman wrote:Seriously! A field of rape...

Consider that a sig. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jonno wrote:No gemini is a good investment
ajs991
Long Term Member

Post by ajs991 »

Bahahaha at field of rape
List of people I hate: You.
Danman
Danmother

Post by Danman »

Haha, Yeah it's crazy! My first alarmed sighting of the English version of canola was when Heather and I were walking near the back of a restaurant and there was a 20litre container of "Rapeseed oil" sitting there! I said "let's not eat in that restaurant!!"

Now for lots of updates! we had a wheel bearing go after a long trip (~290miles) here I am spinning wheels to find out which one it is:

It wasn't the front, turned out it was the left one. Heather pointed out that I don't have to say "rear left" as there is no "front left".
All the mechanics shops were busy for days. No one could fit us in unless I could pull the half shaft out and take that to them, so all they had to do was press the bearing off and on (we had the bearing, it came with the car). The place we were staying at "Beacon farm ice cream" let me use their shed (moved out their JCB) and tools:
Before I pulled the brakes off:

I got the brakes and things out of the way but no matter how hard I whacked it I couldn't move the half shaft. So I put it all back together and we went to the pub.
The owner of the pub chatted to us and we told him our issue and he said "hang on a minute", made a phone call, his sister's boyfriend happened to be a mechanic who lived across the road!
He managed to do the job the next day. He also managed to pull the gearstick out of it's correct position, so when we went to leave we had only 3rd gear. A quick call to our Reliant expert friends and we sorted that out and off we went.

While in Whitby we came across another replica car:

Back on the road again with a fixed bearing! The Angel of the North, near Newcastle. if we get a chance we are going to drive right up to it next time, we are already on a footpath in this photo but there were kids up at the statue so we went back to the carpark:

Dropped in at my mum's clan museum, near Blair Atholl (Scotland):

Right up the top of Scotland now, Duncansby head. Looking out towards the Orkney islands:

And here we are at John O'Groats! Completing the traditional journey. Thought it would be funny to have a photo near the famous sign pretending to push the car:

The car didn't find it funny and chose to not start:
A quick tap on the starter motor and an apology and we were on our way.

Dunnet head, the most Northerly point of UK mainland:

Drove for miles across the top of the country for this joke photo:

Bumped into the East Sutherland Rotary Classic Car Tour, an observation rally (you get given clues for things to find or figure out as you drive along). so we joined in! This La France was cool:
Parked with the sporty cars at the first stop on the rally:
Our main rival, the 3 wheeled Heinkel:
One of the tougher clues to find:

Back on the road again, heading south, Ben Nevis; the tallest mountain in the UK:

The actual most western point of UK mainland is Ardnamurchan. We thought it was Land's End but a couple of cyclists at John O'Groats told us about Ardnamurchan being 20miles further west! So we went there too, very narrow roads, great views!

Cool Scottish highlands scenery, our car got heaps of photos taken here by a bus load of tourists

Heather took this photo from the back seat while we drove her friend around in Edinburgh. Our latest car addition is the "fact a day" calendar, fitted neatly between the choke and heater controls and on top of the ash tray:

We made it back to Bromsgrove (near Birmingham) for the National Reliant gathering:

Set up a display on the parcel shelf with a few interesting things from our journey:

And we won trophies! Best non-member Reliant and hardest working Reliant. We have travelled more than 4000 miles in about 3 months!

Next prize we are hoping for is world's longest forum post :lol:
firebug
Regular

Post by firebug »

What an awesome adventure! :)
"Can't stop addicted to the shindig!..."
DrewZa86
Regular

Post by DrewZa86 »

Advanced apologies if its been stated before, but are you planning on bring it back home with you?
Danman
Danmother

Post by Danman »

That's the million dollar question... Imagine people's reaction to it in Australia! They go wild for it over here. When they go crazy I give them a "toot-toot" and they go even crazier!
But it's expensive, we're getting quotes on it at the moment. It's doubly expensive because if we sold it on we would make money rather than spending thousands more on it. We have gemini's at home that need money spent on them too.

I'm thinking of trying to crowd fund it. It's all the rage at the moment. People tell me that crowd funding is usually used for charities or something more worthwhile though...
DrewZa86
Regular

Post by DrewZa86 »

Yeah it would be a shame to give something that unique up, but if shipping outweighs the budget what can ya do?

It would be cool to see that thing in Oz though, good luck with the rest of your trip.
Holden202T
Regular

Post by Holden202T »

nice write up man, and looks like great holiday trip!
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower!!