Box Trailer Rebuild

This Forums is here for off topic discussion.. Please keep it partially relevant to the site.. we don’t really need to know what u had for breakfast..
firebug
Regular

Re: Box Trailer Rebuild

Post by firebug »

Thanx guys. Drawbar was salvaged from the original trailer and is 50x50x3mm
"Can't stop addicted to the shindig!..."
moley
Long Term Member

Post by moley »

Good job mate,
I'm in the process of building another one, definately more work than you think
Coupe rebuild number 6..
viewtopic.php?t=44564
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

firebug wrote:Thanx guys. Drawbar was salvaged from the original trailer and is 50x50x3mm
Ta. Im looking at grabbing a tradies trailer soon and converting it into a camper trailer. Most of the cheap ones ive seen have s%*tty angle A frames on them so planning on building the A frame/chassis for the suspension and then welding the box body onto it
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
moley
Long Term Member

Post by moley »

F3ARED wrote:
firebug wrote:Thanx guys. Drawbar was salvaged from the original trailer and is 50x50x3mm
Ta. Im looking at grabbing a tradies trailer soon and converting it into a camper trailer. Most of the cheap ones ive seen have s%*tty angle A frames on them so planning on building the A frame/chassis for the suspension and then welding the box body onto it
Is it not cheaper for you guys to build one from scratch?
I sold my tipper trailer for 2k more than it cost me to build after 3 years of abuse
Coupe rebuild number 6..
viewtopic.php?t=44564
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

Probably would be but time is a massive factor with me at the moment. Need to balance family time with all the other s*#t i need to get done [another house to reno, need to build the land rover, need to rebuild the gemini etc] so buying the tradie trailer would be a massive shortcut. All id need to do is build a stronger chassis for it, bolt a rooftop tent to the roof and drag it to work and let the boys fit it out with the rest of the s*#t. Have access to everything needed given I work in caravans....
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
firebug
Regular

Post by firebug »

moley wrote:Is it not cheaper for you guys to build one from scratch?
I sold my tipper trailer for 2k more than it cost me to build after 3 years of abuse
Specialized trailers usually always fetch more than they are worth in material. However I used to build trailers from home years ago and it got to the point where I could buy a basic trailer brand new for around the price of materials I had access to. I admit there is a fair gap in the build quality, but the affordable market I was aiming at was overtaken by mass produced trailers built with cheap imported steel, or complete trailers imported from China. I should have got on board that train in its early days but I didn't. :(

This build was more about resurrecting something that had a little bit of family history (not my family but a good friend's) with my son, to pass on a few skills and basically just have a little project together. I did a quick add up of the bits we had to buy retail and it's in the $600 bracket give or take. Not including mig wire, gas, electricity, labour, other consumables etc. We didn't have to buy springs, axle, shackle bolts/u-bolts, bearings, hubs, rims, jockey wheel or coupling. I supplied some of the steel from my off-cut pile. Some rego also came with this trailer which is a huge bonus.

Could have bought a mass produced 7x4 local for around $800 + rego, but there is no story to go with that... :)
"Can't stop addicted to the shindig!..."
moley
Long Term Member

Post by moley »

Yeah Nick I can't even find the work and not working balance, I put on another guy and still run off my feet.
Yeah firebug I got that's why you were doing it, was just trying to give nick some ideas, I had to weld up one of those Chinese trailers the other day, the steel had cracked in two places, the steel not the welds, was scary told him to get rid of it.
Your right though, the gear adds up and there is a big difference in quality
Coupe rebuild number 6..
viewtopic.php?t=44564