Firebug's TF track car gallery thread...

This Forum is here for each member to post pics of his/her Gemini’s. Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
firebug
Regular

Re: Firebug's TF track car gallery thread...

Post by firebug »

So I raced on Sunday 24/6. New transmission felt strong with snappy shifts, so that was a win. I little mishap saw my day end early though. When I put the radiator together a couple of years back I mounted the thermo fan directly to the core with the included plastic zip style mounts, with the intention of making a shroud to suit the combination I was running. There was not a great deal of space between the back of the fan and the front of the engine pulleys so I knew it was a pretty involved job to get a shroud to fit right. The core mount was working ok so it soon got put to the bottom of the priority list, and eventually forgotten about, until Sunday...

From the marks on the core it seems during the day the top fan mounts possibly broke, but not obvious enough to notice between runs. By run 4 I was reeling in some of the other cars in my class, so I was having a bit of a go when I had an off across the finish line. I hit the timing beam (actually hit it) that is mounted on a concrete block just off the side of the track. The hit didn't seem to damage any of the wheels or suspension, but it did break the remainder of the fan mounts off and jammed the fan between the crank balancer and the radiator drain tap. (see attached vid...) -->

The fan copped a little bit of damage so I ordered a new one that evening. Nothing overly bad in regards to the core, only some bent and polished fins. I little hunt around the shed produced some left over aluminium sheet so I went about measuring up a shroud.

Took the radiator over to Sam's place to let him practice his TIG skills by welding on some mounting tabs to the outside of the core.

And with the shroud and new fan in place fitted with a rubber edge to allow for any gaps against the sides of the tanks. Looks purposeful. Will test for leaks and efficiency next week when I'm off work...

"Can't stop addicted to the shindig!..."
Holden202T
Regular

Post by Holden202T »

came up mint!
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower!!
firebug
Regular

Post by firebug »

Well this happened...

I was long overdue for a rollcage, and seeing that I was injured and unable to race I saw this as an opportunity to put the car off the road and get it done. Very happy with the result to say the least. Started with a basic 6 point design then added some extra tubes and gussets to improve the overall strength. Waiting on CAMS now to approve it. Once this happens I can paint it and put her back together...

Last edited by firebug on Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holden202T
Regular

Post by Holden202T »

f*#k yeah thats looking the business now!
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

Cage looks serious mate, i take it its being built to Sched J regs?
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

Saw this on instagram and thought the same!

what's this injury? Hope you're alright bro.
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw
firebug
Regular

Post by firebug »

Thanks guys. Mid last year I was chomping at the bit to have the cage underway as soon as the racing season finished. Sammy was neck deep in making new family and 2 (now 3) of his own car projects keeping him busy, I felt it unfair to ask him for any of his spare time to help work on my stuff. A little digging around and I found a guy that does automotive stuff on the side of his mobile industrial fabrication business. Robert had built many cages for CAMS, FIA, and ANDRA spec cars, so we put a plan together for early December last year and to be finished before Christmas.

However while moving something heavy at work I tore my left bicep tendon off the bone (not recommended) and needed surgery, so that put me out of action working on anything for a few months. Healing up ok now though so the fab work came back into the picture, which also doubled as physio if you ask me...

So yes we followed Schedule J regs in the CAMS Manual. Main hoop is mounted just behind the rear footwell on its own custom footing. It has one harness bar and one diagonal. Rear stays are mounted exactly on top of the rear spring mounts for those wondering why they are not on top of the wheel arches, They also have a diagonal and are tied back to the main hoop at the base with further tubing. Front members are basic with a taco gusset at the bottom bend, single transversal tube above the windscreen and diagonal door bars each side with secondary door bars that were recommended by CAMS Tech.

Robert showed me how to dimple die gusset panels so I went mad making up the gussets on one of the days he was away doing some real work. I may have gone a little overboard but they have certainly firmed up the frame of the car once he welded them all in.

Also gave me the chance to rehash the rear firewall that separates the fuel system from the cabin. I was never happy with my old design that was built around the original Gemini support braces with rivets and sealer. I haven't made the upper section yet. I'm concentrating on trying to get the dash to fit back in now with a lump of scaffolding in the way.

A few pics here of the build and fit-up along the way in no particular order. I'll post more as I do more stuff...

Image < space :) > Image

Holden202T
Regular

Post by Holden202T »

bicep sounds very bad!

roll cage on the other hand is mint!
firebug
Regular

Post by firebug »

Yeah thank mate. CAMS have already replied with a couple of changes they want made. I'll fix em up and re-submit...
Holden202T
Regular

Post by Holden202T »

that sucks, hopefully not too much cutting and shutting ?
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

Yeah ouch :(
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw
firebug
Regular

Post by firebug »

Changes have been made to the cage. I'll re-submit Monday and see how I go... :?
firebug
Regular

Post by firebug »

So CAMS required and extra diagonal as the ones we welded in were not exactly to Schedule J. Second diagonal went into the back stays along with gussets at the X. It's way over spec now and has added quite a bit of weight, but the safety and rigidity that comes with it is worth it.