Ivy's Coupe

This Forum is here for each member to post pics of his/her Gemini project cars. Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
tobytj
Long Term Member

Ivy's Coupe

Post by tobytj »

New coupe acquisition. My youngest son's TF is getting to the stage where it is not a great investment to fix it up. Plus he drives it every day so can't really afford the down time. He has had it for 15 years now so a reasonable run.

The plan is to refurbish this shell to a roller and transplant as much as I can salvage from the TF. Car is currently sitting at my oldest sons house and it is not welcome at mine until i clear a back log of house maintenance.

Te shell is a TD SLE Coupe and came with spare beaver and bonnet. Rust is not as bad as my TD wagon and TX coupe. Becasue the donor is a TF I plan another late model dash conversion.
tobytj
Long Term Member

Re: Ivy's Coupe

Post by tobytj »

I told my son his is actually his nieces coupe but she might let him borrow it.
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

Lol!

I think I saw this forsale on Facebook or something about it?

Look forward to seeing the resto man. Your builds are decent reads.
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw
tobytj
Long Term Member

Post by tobytj »

Ivy and I sat in the shell and played cars yesterday (she's 4). Told me I have to paint it rainbow. I told her that was a bit hard (although politically correct in some circles), so she settled on pink.
tobytj
Long Term Member

Post by tobytj »

A bit of work salvaging the spare bonnet front lip inner and outer rusted away. I used some 1.5mm steel cut from a dexion shelf for the outer – nice straight edge and thick enough and minimise heat distortion. The inner is some 0.75mm gal that is pliable enough to shape to fit over the ribs.
My welding is a little rusty but this should clean up OK.

tobytj
Long Term Member

Post by tobytj »

Finished the bonnet and did a similar resto on the boot lid. Shell is still sitting at my sons place and I am working on a panel at a time.

The missus has banned the coupe from the garage until I complete "a few little jobs around the house". Have finished the external house repaint, replaced all the rotted ballastrade and hand rails, replaced the stormwater drain that was full of tree roots, sanded the deck - so about a quarter of the way through her list.

Waiting for Elky to cut up a TG firewall to use for a late model dash conversion. Front floor pans and a new boot floor ready to go.
tobytj
Long Term Member

Post by tobytj »

The couple is finally home

While it was at my sons I brought the boot lid and doors home and have them straight and primed.
New boot floor is it
And the replacement beaver panel tacked in place
This is what was left of the boot sub frame on the passenger side. I actually managed to salvage and repair this. More on that next post
tobytj
Long Term Member

Post by tobytj »

As promised, restored sunframe. About 30% is original (most of the top). It is a neater than the rough cold gal paintwork would suggest,

Also have the a repair section in the bottom of the left rear quarter panel. It came out of a TE sedan.
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

Good to see some progress on this.

G up for Geminats one year ;)
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw
tobytj
Long Term Member

Post by tobytj »

Busy making bits, replacement for inner guard corner. 1.5 mm low carbon mild steel clamped in a vice and wored with a bluntish cold chisel to get the indent pattern right.

My replica of a TF inner guard stiffener in 2mm steel. Should have used 1.6mm sheet because 2mm is hard work.
tobytj
Long Term Member

Post by tobytj »

Have been busy with fixing A pillars on both sides. The left side took most of a weekend becasue I stuffed around and was too timid in removing rust affected bit leading to a lot of do over,

the left was abit worse than the right

Replaced the battery carrier. Carefully picked out the spot welds only to discover the metal below was nothing but rust. So a big 2mm thick patch is welded in under the trayImage

Care package arrived from Elky this week. Right sub frame repair - thais should be interesting.

tobytj
Long Term Member

Post by tobytj »

In the past I have stated an opinion that if a shel had rust in the sub frames it was crusher material. However good shells are getting hard to find plus any one listens to thier own opinion has a fool for an advisor. And this repair was actually easier than I expected.

First the problem.

a. water gets between the floor and the top of the sib frame

b. leading to a hole that lets water in and soon there is a hole in the bottow of the sub frame

c. Then, egads! the wole section of botton cord is cactus.

The solution to the top hole was a a patch with new 2mm sheet. The top of the subframe is flat so an easy fix (except for all the de spotting)

Bottom cord was affected up into the rear lower control arN mounting (RLCAM). I found that the best place to join in the repair piece weas 8mm into the RLCAM, just shy of interfering with the spot welds. Leave and small gap and the weld not only joins the the two lower cords but also the RLCAM - and the weld is undetectable.

To get the RLCAM you need to remove some of the inner guard covering the "C" shaped sub frame (it is probably rusty at the bottom) and cut a bit from the brace for the suspencion mounting. My replacement piece extended rear to the jack points in the sill - which is part of the same subframe.

Also a section of the floor pan has to go.

See below repair piece in position for welding. Took about 12 iteration with marked pen and grinder to get a perfect alignment with nthe main cut 10 to 20 mm up from the base the sub frame - from the top inner corner of the RLCAM back.

Picture of the sub frame atter welding, flapping disk and coat of cold gal. The repair piece is welded on both sides.

Don't bother looking for the joint, it cannot be detected.

Replace the inner guard (patch from the repair piece) and weld in a new piece of bracing. All done.

tobytj
Long Term Member

Post by tobytj »

I will add that a C clamp is useful to align the edges of the sub frame and repair piece for tack welding. There is enough "give' in both pieces where I located the join to achieve a perfect alignment and grind back to a smooth seamless finish.
tobytj
Long Term Member

Post by tobytj »

Drivers floor back in, next job is to fix some rust in the firewall.

The good news is that only one patch is required. The bad news......

DR_GEM
Long Term Member

Post by DR_GEM »

Awesome fab work mate. This is the kind of thing that is becoming a bit of a lost art form - glad to see you keeping it alive

Mick
I wish i had something cool and witty in my signature