robs turbo

This Forum is here for each member to post pics of his/her Gemini’s. Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
boostdgem
Chatterbox

robs turbo

Post by boostdgem »

this is my baby, got her on the road and turbo about three years ago since then she has been broken as long as she has been running.

G180
TX head, ported with larger s/s ex valves & crow cam
custom head studs and o-ringed block
forged venolia pistons
standard crank and rods, shotpeened
HKS2540R turbo @1.5 bar
EVO 5 intercooler
custom plenum on rodeo manifold
haltech e6k
standard 4 speed box (still alive)
258mm front brake kit
and lots more i cant be bothered typing

it has made 197rwkw on 1.5bar and run 11.66 @ 115.6mph on falken azenis so far but has been plauged with head sealing probs since the boost has been turned up after running in. the head is currenty off at the moment and i am changing from a graphite gasket to copper and fitting an adjustable cam sprocket to see if we can get a bit more poke out of her.
plans for the future will be to upgrade to a GT30 and make the driveline tougher once the head gasket problem is solved.

G180 252Rwkw on 26psi with GT3082

126Mph on pump fuel
G200-GEM
Regular

Post by G200-GEM »

my gems quicker
2L DOHC 1976 TX Gemini HILLS
DATSUN 1200 Sedan MINT DAILY
Bluebird TRX CA18DET COILOVERS - DRIFTER
one
Long Term Member

Post by one »

very noice!!!! :mrgreen: :wink:
G200-GEM
Regular

Post by G200-GEM »

i was kiddin btw. awesome gem man nice work
2L DOHC 1976 TX Gemini HILLS
DATSUN 1200 Sedan MINT DAILY
Bluebird TRX CA18DET COILOVERS - DRIFTER
boostdgem
Chatterbox

Update

Post by boostdgem »

I have jumped the gun and bought myself a GT30 now because it came up cheap at the time its 450hp rated with a .7 comp cover and a .63 skyline (RB25) internal gate exhaust housing so when i get a head back on it i will be keen to start getting all the turbo plumbing changed to suit.
Hopefully with the new turbo and the adjustable cam gear it will be good for around 220rwkw on pump. then it will be time to put some race fuel in see what happens.
i am also looking into getting a head ported from darren at gemracing so hopefully that will flow a bit more than my last setup, it was never flow tested so im not sure if it will be an improvement but if anyone can get get a gemi head to flow i would say he would be the best bet.

this is the old 2540r and the new GT30, the .7 comp cover dwarfs the .6

the exhaust sides are close, i have since had the wastegate on the GT30 ported with a hat to match the size of the 2540's. i had the 2540's ported back when i first fitted it because it was overboosting and spiking so i got the GT30's done just in case because it was tiny.

the interior

126Mph on pump fuel
boostdgem
Chatterbox

Post by boostdgem »

this is the dyno pull when it got fully tuned on 1.5bar the only thing that was done between then and the drags was a cold air induction setup.

this is at AIR i am #450 in the right lane, my next best runs have been 12.2, 12.3 etc i have been back since then but was plauged with missing shifts and wheelspin then i blew an axle......

126Mph on pump fuel
gemracing
Gemini Master

Post by gemracing »

Rob,
I dont think the graphite gasket is the problem and going to the copper 'will' give you more problems than its worth,if you have any pics of your graphite gasket that you recently took off id like to have a look at it,can you post a pic of it??? The reason im asking is because ive never had problems with any graphite gasket to any car ive done,including my own and im confident I can make near 400kw with one,also where did you get the studs from and what size are they???
Regards,
Darren
Current Car.....

-G180 TX red coupe 9.20@148.6mph on a 26x8.5" tyre and no nitrous 2380lbs with driver
boostdgem
Chatterbox

Post by boostdgem »

yeah im not going to use the copper one anymore that will just open up a can of worms i think, and if yours can seal i cant see why mine should not.
My head is soft so i am guessing that was the problem, otherwise its the studs.
The studs are ARP 1/2 inch jobbies im not exactly sure what they were originally intended for i think maybe a ford v8 but it was a long time ago and i was interstate for the time my engine was being built so i cant remember.

there is the problem areas around No1 and No4 you can see it has even blown past the o-ring and the o-ring was still intact and felt and looked undamaged. last time it happened i didnt realise and drove it a touch longer the result was it happened the same on 2&3 aswell inbetween the cylinder and the eyebrow shaped water jackets.

126Mph on pump fuel
gemracing
Gemini Master

Post by gemracing »

That looks like detonation to me :cry: :cry: :cry:
Current Car.....

-G180 TX red coupe 9.20@148.6mph on a 26x8.5" tyre and no nitrous 2380lbs with driver
ROTAHAVIK GEM
Long Term Member

Post by ROTAHAVIK GEM »

yes too tru gemracing,to much heat in cyl's,heat has no were to go but blow out the gasket :cry:

Previously Known As gemzilla1
Junk1
Chatterbox

Post by Junk1 »

Check for corrosion under the long waterjackets. Gem heads are pretty weak there. I know a bloke who's head actually slightly crushed there from boost. Doesn't matter how much hardware you've got clamping it down.
Thrash Or Be Thrashed
shyguy

Post by shyguy »

nice car man.. damn quick
Mad_G2

Post by Mad_G2 »

yeh thats a sweet gemi man!!

I hate doing head gaskettes on gemis they are s*#t of a job i just keep tensioning my head bolts up ever 3 months

Anyway nice car man :D
possessed3t
Regular

Post by possessed3t »

yeah i had that prob of blowin number four and i change my fuel reg and no more probs but then i blew my turbo so you cant fix em all

oh and have u done a 3t head........... they suck balls
boostdgem
Chatterbox

update 19/11/06

Post by boostdgem »

got my mate to port me up another head, this one is as hard as he has seen any gem head (he has seen a few in his time) and i got this one flow tested to see how good he was, turns out he is not too bad with the die grinder.

i also got the code stamped on the back of the cam and got crow to send me the specs. here they are does anyone have any comments....... im not all that knowlegable with cam specs.

That looks like detonation to me
i doubt it is detonation, i have never heard it detonate the are no marks in the cylinders to suggest it and the guy who tunes the car is pretty safe with the tune. i dont think i have ever heard of a car detonating from his tuning, but hey its not totally out of the question.........i hope its not detonation.....

cheers guys.

126Mph on pump fuel