g180w.. whats it worth?

General Gemini Chat
Forum for all gemini based chat & questions
Greengem20B
Regular

Post by Greengem20B »

IZU069 wrote:Thanks Greeny. An amazing buy - in any condition. It's almost worth as much as its dizzy :lol:

I keep hearing how rare the G-Ws are.
But I do like their cheapness.
Id buy another at that price just for the dizzy!
QLD - Home Of The Modified Gemini
IZU069

Post by IZU069 »

Comrade!
What a coincidence, it's only recently I realised that $200 for a complete engine might only be marginally cheape... er, more than an original dizzy :wink: :wink:!
phatty
Regular

Post by phatty »

TFHOON wrote:is that the actual car you bought tim , or are you using those pics as an example. cause i thought that blue td pano had a 1600 twincam in it.
this is an interesting thread.. lol It used to have a G161W till it s*#t itself, it was never engineered for the 1600.. i pulled it out and assesed the damage.. hmm all new pistons, (re-made from original, $250 each) $new sleves to get the bore back to std $120 each, plus all other parts and labour VS import G180W for $895.. think ill get the import, found the haltech plus loom for $150 (F7 fully programmable +15psi boost), the ignition is the piggyback type (i thaught it was standard and common) but sounds like the dizzy is of a datto or something? never really looked into it.. we welded the std engine mounts back in dropped it in and got it running.. box, dunno its a 4sp with reverse far far left and down and course spline.. i have a 5sp twincam box here with remote shift, didnt put it in for the reasons it was remote shift, course spline and unknown condition.. it had to go in that day so i thaught f*#k it just put the 4sp back in.. anyway needed the money coz i no longer have a daily drive, f*#cked up my tf, sold the G161W to a guy in finland for $1000... sold this gem to tim for $xxxx.. loved that panno, wish i could have kept it and finished it... anymore q's pm me

oh and peter...

Did those photos look familiar? lol
Project: G180w TD panno -SOLD to pay for the respray on the tf :'(
Daily: Granny TF Wagon - NOW RESTORATION PROJECT
Germinator
Long Term Member

Post by Germinator »

yep, still got the box with remote shifter?

That 4 speed box sounds like a MSE early TX box. It would have had a removable plate on the top of the box too, no centre bearing carrier plate like MSG boxes.

I do not give permission for anyone to reproduce content from my posts.
Reposting any of my forum posts (or substantial parts thereof) breaches the copyright act.
one
Long Term Member

Post by one »

yeah i just bought the pano with the g180w in it.. im looking at repainting it and doing a rotary conversion and returning it to its former glory as a prime show car
IZU069

Post by IZU069 »

phatty wrote:Did those photos look familiar? lol
WTF?
Phatty, I would NEVER condone the exporting of such a rare Bellett GT-R engine (with integral inlet manifold) when there are local Bellet enthusiats that are probably screaming for that engine!

Even if it sold for the tens of $thousands it is probably worth (it's very rare you know, and see http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 428358.htm - a NZ GT-R for $30,000; with G200W??), I'd forgo that and keep it local!

You should be whipped Phatty! Shame on you!
I would never contemplate such a crime.
Nor would I normally contemplate writing such bullsh as I have above :lol: :wink: !!

(Warning: You may now be on someone's - or some group's - hit-list.)

As to gearbox extensions, I'm fairly certain they can be replaced with a standard gear stick.
Certainly with Bellett GT extensions.
But you have to be careful with the bottom part - they can vary in length, shape and width, the worst situation being too short - it passes casual testing, but then jumps out of its gear-dog shift-shaft one fitted and changing gears with attitude! (Ok if the stick's boot can be removed and stick loosened and reinserted.)
elky
Gemini Master

Post by elky »

yea the box would of been a mse type but not a tx (starter location)

yea i thought this car looked familar

to return it to show would mean another 161w not a rotor!

i got the magazine article somewhere...

cheers
phatty
Regular

Post by phatty »

could be any box in a twincam bellhousing elky. iv found this out not long ago off peter and im loving the taller 5th in my SOHC box..
Project: G180w TD panno -SOLD to pay for the respray on the tf :'(
Daily: Granny TF Wagon - NOW RESTORATION PROJECT
elky
Gemini Master

Post by elky »

nah dude, the mse box will not interchange with any other bellhousing wise

the 5 speed dohc boxes are a different story of course, and any c ceries diesel box will do as well as any gem sohc box

cheers
IZU069

Post by IZU069 »

Elky - you mean the mse box (bell housing) will only interchange with other mse boxes? (That's a clarification - but correct me if wrong.)

They can't interchange with earlier msa boxes (Belletts, Florians, GTR DOHCs, early 117 DOHCs etc) because they have a one-piece bell & gearbox.

And although they look similar, they are smaller then MUA (TFR etc?) boxes (not that I have tried or measured closely, but visually....).
one
Long Term Member

Post by one »

i love rotors and ive always wanted a rotor gem so this is going to be the one
bryansgemini
Regular

Post by bryansgemini »

good to see your back One, an TFHOON how do you remember all that trivial s*#t?