Engine Number Location on a G180

General Gemini Chat
Forum for all gemini based chat & questions
motorheadmatt
Chatterbox

Engine Number Location on a G180

Post by motorheadmatt »

hey to everyone.

i have recently placed a new engine in my gemini. i have to go for a blue slip but i can not find the engine number on my motor. (i have a 1.8L standard izuzu motor)

There is a bunch of numbers, but i don't know where the engine number is??

If you could help me out, it would be greatly apprieciated.

Thanks.
tobytj
Long Term Member

Post by tobytj »

Normally near the dissy on top of the block but some Isuzu motors have the number on the left hand flange at the rear of the block wher ethe gearbox bolts on
motorheadmatt
Chatterbox

Post by motorheadmatt »

how much numbers make up an engine number on a gemini? is it a whole bunch of numbers, or only a couple numbers?
tobytj
Long Term Member

Post by tobytj »

8 I think
meanzah
Regular

Post by meanzah »

if it helps: my spare 1600 has a 5 digit number on the block near the gearbox and just under the exhaust ports.

Can't remember where it was on the 2lt but I got a feeling it was under the inlet manifold. It took the roady guy ages to find it with his snakey camera
They think they've got me by the balls but they don't - their hands aren't big enough.
Bernie Ecclestone
troyrotor
Long Term Member

Post by troyrotor »

on both my 1.6 and 2L the engine number is located on the block at the front on the inlet side.

top of the block face.
MY BUILD viewtopic.php?t=36388 OF THIS s@*tter BELOW
Germinator
Long Term Member

Post by Germinator »

The numbers (normally 5 or 6 numbers and a letter although the commercial engines didn't always have a letter) are stamped into the metal on a machined flat surface, they are not cast.

The G series engines are all stamped into the top deck surface of the block on a small 'pad' immediately opposite the distributor mount point. I have not yet seen the number on the gearbox mount flange. If the block has been machined (decked) the number may have been machined off.

The 4F series diesels are stamped on the gearbox flange though.

I do not give permission for anyone to reproduce content from my posts.
Reposting any of my forum posts (or substantial parts thereof) breaches the copyright act.
motorheadmatt
Chatterbox

Post by motorheadmatt »

ok i have found two sets of numbers, i just wanted to know which one would be my engine number.

1) I have found numbers next to the dizzy on engine block, below where it is stamped G161. The numbers read 8P - 3C.

2) The second set of numbers i have found are on the rear engine block below my exhaust manifold. the numbers read 80466.

I just wanted to know which would be my engine number??? Thanks everyone for their help.
LOK15
Gemini Master

Post by LOK15 »

neither of them.

pop your bonnet and look at the dizzy. now behind the dizzy towards the motor is the side of the intake manifold where it bolts to the head. look under this , you'll see the top of the engine block with a flat machined part. clean off the grease and gunk from it and you should see some numbers. You may need a torch.
bigal
Regular

Post by bigal »

just to clarify a torch with batteries not propane.
Germinator
Long Term Member

Post by Germinator »

This should help locate it for you...

Note the place marked, look at the block and you'll see the head exactly follows the line of the engine block except for a small 'pad' that extends out on the block beyond the head. Once you clean the KRUD ot that smal pad the engine number will be visible. Being a G161Z (assuming it's a Gemini one, NOT a KB20 Rodeo one) it will have a number series and the letter Q. If it's an original Rodeo G161Z, it won't have a Qor any letter for that matter.

I do not give permission for anyone to reproduce content from my posts.
Reposting any of my forum posts (or substantial parts thereof) breaches the copyright act.
motorheadmatt
Chatterbox

Post by motorheadmatt »

Thanks, i found it. Tomorrow i can go for a blue slip. Much apprieciated
bigal
Regular

blue slip

Post by bigal »

the blue slip inspector will know excactly where your numbers will be he will have every code book underthe sun to verify and check.