G200 help

General Gemini Chat
Forum for all gemini based chat & questions
leighbull0789
n00b

G200 help

Post by leighbull0789 »

Hi there, im looking at buying a SLX TE gem. I am told that originally it was the 1.8 engine auto but now however it has the g200 in it with a 5sp man gearbox. The guy selling it told me its fine and ill have no problem at vic roads getting it changed into my name. Is this the case? He doesnt have any engineers cert or anything like that.

If someone coukd help me out that would be fantastic. If i buy the car it will be my first.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
tobytj
Long Term Member

Re: G200 help

Post by tobytj »

In QLD a G200 would be a problem, but a G180 is not. So because QLD sets the bar pretty low on compliance requirements so if it is a problem in QLD it would be a problem in Vic.

I think the Australian Design Rules is the bible and you are allowed to increase the engine capacity in the same family of engines by a certain percentage.

There are a lot of people who run G200 without declaring the upgrade because, in appearance, a G200 is pretty much identical to a G161. This involves knowingly falsifying your registration application. There are not too many people who would know the difference of fewer who would care because a G200 is not really out there in terms of a radical high horsepower mod. The cars top speed is not really going to skyrocket it will jus tbe smoother off the line and have more pull.

Insurance could be an issue if you have a prang and your insurer spots the mod.
leighbull0789
n00b

Post by leighbull0789 »

Yeah i was hoping you wernt going to say any of that. Thanks for the help mate.

On a side note, if vicroads catch it would i be able to just go to another location and try my luck again or do they make a note about it?

Would you know how much it would cost to ger it engineered?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
tobytj
Long Term Member

Post by tobytj »

I will pass on advice on how to around Vic Roads systems.

As far as engineering, suggest you ring one and ask rather than guess.

In QLD the mod may trigger a brake upgrade, depends on the engineer.